Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
MATTHEWxCARTER

Question Marshall Lee axe bass help?

Hello. I'm new here, so I'm not positive that this is where it goes. But I'm cosplaying Marshall Lee at Anime North in May. And I have run into an issue.

I'll start by stating the fact that in fan art and past cosplays everyone gives Marshall the same axe bass that Marceline has. BUT, in the leaked episode I watched featuring him, he has a different shaped bass then Marceline. This episode officially airs this Monday, well before Anime North. My problem is I would much prefer to do the same axe bass as Marcelines for Marshall as I see it to be a lot simpler and less expensive. But not if it's at the expense of my cosplays success. I'm the kind of person who likes to get my cosplays as perfect as my skill level allows me to, and I also like getting a lot of pictures taken of my cosplay. It makes me feel like I did well. My question is weather or not having the same axe bass as Marceline even though the episode featuring Marshall clearly makes it known that his is different, will effect the success of my cosplay at all, because by that time people will know his is different. What would you rather see for Marshall? Would it make you like the cosplay less if Marshall didn't have the bass from the episode?

Just let me know your input on which I should do.
MATTHEWxCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
MATTHEWxCARTER

Incase anyone needs a picture for any reason:

MATTHEWxCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

The photo link isn't working on my end ._. , I would liker to help.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

link to image: http://25.media.tumblr.com/6e9175ed1...c930o1_500.jpg
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

It looks like they'll be about the same in terms of difficulty.

I'm working on a Marceline axe bass right now, but I had to set it aside to work on some other projects but will pick it back up this Sunday. When it's done I'll post my progress photos. It's a core of MDF, a layer of foam sheet on each side of the MDF, a layer of foamcore on top of that for an easy glossy surface. A long piece of whitewood for the neck.

I roughly followed THIS ARTICLE, but I made the neck out of lightweight whitewood (I think the foam neck would snap too easily); and I used some carriage bolts to make attachment points for a strap. I used white bead styrofoam because I already had it lying about; in retrospect I reeally should have used the insulation foam. Bead foam is turrible.

The basic construction techniques will be the same for both Marceline's and Marshall Lee's. Since the original artwork is so simple and lacking in detail, you have plenty of leeway to customize it however you like, and still stay "canon," as it were. For instance, I'm going to try to make the scuffs and gashes realistic and believable, instead of simple cutouts as in the original artwork.

opinion: make Marshall Lee's, it'll be special and unique. Plus, it has a skull on it, and skulls are cool.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Yes, like above I would suggest using thin sheets of wood and layering it until its as thick as needed. I heard someone used bottle caps ((Not beer bottles but water bottles)) for the top string..holder..thing but since Marshall Lee's as bolts I suggest doing the same, or creating your own.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote