Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #31
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Lots of trial and error, many cussing sessions, table flips, and rage quits. But eventually I figured it out~
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #32
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Like a lot of others, I learned the basics from my mom. She taught me how to read and understand patterns and the basic stitches (straight, backstitch, etc.). Everything else I taught myself or learned from Youtube

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I was worst off then most. My mom never taught me anything and school was too poor for any luxury sewing or crafting class. I learned from using the handy stitch portable machine. A mini sewing machine that is awesome! I've made pillows,skirts,pants,and gloves with it. I've started using a bigger machine(Kid sized) and I am learning handsewing now. I watch alot of videos aswell but most use machines I don't have so I try to adept it to my machine.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I had to take home ec. at school and found that I like making some stuff. They taught us how to hand sew and use a machine (I was forced to buy my own and take it back and forth to school. It was small private school). We made pajamas. These backpacks that have draw strings and can use as a bag pack. Mine was made denim (lol not sure what I was thinking, but turned out nice) and these yo-yo coasters. Stuff like that. The first outfit I choosed to make on my own with a bit a help was a kimono for a Yukina from Yu Yu Hakusho. I bought some pattern online. I never did bought the wig and all that. First finished cosplay was Kyo from Dir en grey.

Many attempts that had gone unfinished for various reasons.

My mom doesn't use a sewing machine and often don't get a lot of help. I had some help in the past, but I am mostly on my own when it comes to sewing. I know how to read patterns and just bought some books and read tutorials (also bought some gothic and lolita sewing books. I made a purse, skirt, mini top hat and headband bows. Tried to make a shirt, but the zipper broke and then I lost the sleeves) and just go from there.

The only family I know and live by are my parents and they don't really sew besides mending tears and sewing on buttons, so I can't really ask for help them. If anything, they want me to make stuff for them. ^^;

Currently trying to draft and alter patterns.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

My mom taught me the basics (how to sew a seam, how to follow a pattern, how to sew on buttons) and from there I was basically on my own. My mom knew that much but didn't do anything beyond hemming pants and things like that, and she certainly didn't have the patience to walk me though all the costuming things I wanted to do, lol. I only used the basics for a lot of my costumes up until a few years after I started, when I needed to learn more advanced things. So then I followed tutorials, asked people more knowledgeable than me, and of course, had LOTS of trial and error. I still do!
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Sui Kune
I've got a can opener!

I count myself extremely lucky, in that the aunt of childhood friends of mine has seamstress and sewing teaching experience, so she's my sewing mentor. She's been teaching me all sorts of different techniques, from how to do something quick and easy to the anal-retentive "couture" way (and hilariously since we're both nitpicky, I tend to always choose the difficult route unless there's a massive time crunch). Her years of experience is also invaluable in deciphering how to translate something from paper/computer screen to pattern and fabric; I would've honestly been lost without her for the Messiah in particular, that was a fairly massive learning experience in massive lined circle-skirts with ruffles, the joys of fitting and refitting a bustier, and oh good god the gravity-defying and so very fragile organza blouse with leotard bottom to prevent ride-ups. It's also better for me to never work entirely alone on a project, because I can sometimes tend to get an awful tunnel-vision and not see the obvious solution when stuck.

I was also extremely lucky in that my mom had the single greatest sewing machine and matching serger ever (Pfaff Creative 1471) that I've pretty much commandeered for myself since she hardly ever uses them. I imagine picking out a modern sewing machine would be absolute hell for me, considering how unbelievably particular and picky I can be, so should god-forbid my machines ever give out, I'm shelling out the money for the exact same models from eBay or such.
☆ Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon S]
☆ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Uniform]

沈黙のセーラー戦士、セーラーサターン!
Sui Kune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

My mom is an expert seamstress and taught me every thing I know. The funny thing is that she bought me a kids' sewing machine when I was eight but I never showed any interest in sewing. Up until I was 18 I had no idea that anime conventions were even a thing in America but when I learned there was one near me I went crazy into the hobby. We sew side by side now.

DragonCon
Claves - Eternal Sonata
Aerith - Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
Rhyme - The World Ends With You
Megara - Disney's Hercules
riddeltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #38
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

School and mother, but I can figure out hand-sewing alone.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
shmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanarcah View Post
I'm entirely self-taught, with the exception of my mom teaching me how to thread/run her sewing machine.
This is exactly how it was for me. My mom taught me how to thread the machine, and I was off! The stuff I made was awful (the machine needed a lot of TLC that couldn't give to it), and I've since gotten a new machine, which has helped tremendously. I still don't know how to properly read patterns...I'm the type of person that just says "Okay, let's DO THIS." Google is my mentor. YouTube tutorials are a godsend.

I should really look into taking some classes! Heh.
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

My Grandmother is a fantastic and creative person. She embroiders and sews quilts and made my mother and her siblings all of their clothes when they were kids. When I lived with her we didn't have much in common, though. She didn't understand this 'anime' and 'video game' stuff I was into, but as long as I wasn't doing drugs or getting into trouble with the law, she was fine with it.

One day she found me in my room with a bunch of scrap fabric trying to hand sew a t-shirt. I awkwardly explained that I was going to a convention and wanted to dress up. So I was practicing making part of the costume.

She whisked me away to the dining room and sat me in front of her sewing machine and showed me how to thread her machine and wind a bobbin. She sat next down next and watched me as I stumbled my way to making my first straight stitch. We talked a lot that day about sewing, my hobby, life in general. More then we had spoken in years. By the time the costume was done, it wasn't the best, but my grandmother was so proud of it, I couldn't help but be a little proud of it to.

Three years later, I moved out and recieved an email from my grandmother asking if I 'Still liked to dress up in kitty costumes' something that had become an In-joke between us after she saw a few pictures of my completed costume. I said I was, but my cheap sewing machine was broken and I was saving up for a newer model. Three days later there was a gigantic box in my front door. I opened it up and there was my grandmother's sewing machine along with a basket of her old sewing supplies, patterns and a note. 'Good luck with your kitty costume.' I'll admit, I cried a little.

I still have a lot to learn, I can make a lot of basic things, but I'll be taking a sewing class in the fall to expand my limited knowledge. In the meantime, I usually call my grandmother to catch up and ask for help. And I think she really enjoys passing down her skills to someone.
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
Three days later there was a gigantic box in my front door. I opened it up and there was my grandmother's sewing machine along with a basket of her old sewing supplies, patterns and a note. 'Good luck with your kitty costume.' I'll admit, I cried a little.
Oh geez, them feels...

My grandmother used to sew a lot, I know (she made my Halloween costume when I was in first grade), and I do remember one time where she brought her machine to my house and tried to teach me, but I was young and willful and got really frustrated trying to use it. I think it was the pedal that freaked me out to try to use - I had trouble even reaching the floor when I sat down to begin with, and I'd put too much pressure on it and my fabric would get away from me.

She's in no condition anymore to help, though. I'll just be teaching myself with some "learn to sew" patterns, and videos online. My boyfriend says his mother sews a little, so if I get too hung up she's about to ask for advice, but otherwise I'm relying on the internet not to lead me astray! ;P
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #42
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Well, I wish you luck! And maybe when you're done with your sewing project you could show your grandmother just how far you've come since she tried to teach you. I'm sure she'd get just as much of a kick out of it as my grandmother does!
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

When I was a kid my grandmother taught myself and my sisters how to embroider, which is pretty much the cornerstone for basic sewing skills. So I can work a needle and thread but anything that requires a machine I actually have either my boyfriend's grandmother do or his aunt, because they're professional seamstresses.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #44
HelloKittyQueen
Strange and Adorable :3

Lovely you guys. I'm thinking about purchasing my first sewing machine. Anything you guys recommend? As you can tell by my username I'm an extreme Hello Kitty fan, so I was wondering about what you guys thought about the Janome Hello Kitty sewing machine. I've heard good reviews for it for beginner sewers
Balalaika from Black Lagoon ----> In progress
HelloKittyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #45
KatyCruel

My household is wonderfully blessed with an amazing and sturdy-as-a-brick White sewing machine that used to belong to my maternal grandmother - who also lives with us half the year. She used to be able to work her way around a machine, but as she is now legally blind and nearly 90, she can't really actually sew anymore. Theoretically she can still teach me stuff, but I have to do all the practical, hands-on learning myself since my mom won't come within five feet of the machine. XD
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote