Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Niraven
A Dinkum Professional

First Cosplay Experience?

Hi everyone. So, I'm new to cosplay, and am working on my first ever. I'm excited, but also massively insecure. I want to overcome that.

Would anyone care to share stories about their first cosplay and the experiences that came and went with it?
Niraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Ron Jr

Mine was before they called it cosplay in the mid 70's. Then it was Masquarade and I wore a Star Trek uniform command Gold I wanted to make it home. Not much to say it was at a Comic convention and there were only a hand full of people wear costumes. My first Anime cosplay was Vash the Stampede and to be honest it was not very good.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

My first cosplay was fun but I learnt a lot of lessons from it.

1. Be ready to pose if people ask you for photographs or if you don't want them, be ready to decline. I never ever thought anyone would actually ask for my photograph but as soon as I got into the queue, someone asked! I freaked on the spot and didn't know what to do, make sure you have a pose ready if you want to let people take your photograph. If you're recognizable it'll probably happen. (but if it doesn't don't beat yourself up over it either!)
2. People are going to probably ask you for hugs too. It's your choice if you say yes or no but expect it. It's about 10x more likely when you're in cosplay.
3. Don't be afraid to talk to people! Cosplaying makes it extra extra easy to make new friends and cons are SO much more fun once you start doing this. Go to a meet-up for that series if there is one or don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with a fellow cosplayer. Especially if they're from the same series, try asking for photos with them! (I've made lots of great friends this way, asking for photos with them and then just hanging around with them afterwards!)

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Loveless12

My first one was ass. Still fun to be part of the culture though.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

For the love of all that is good and pure in this world, MAKE SURE you allow more time than you think you'll need to make your costume!!! I made my first cosplay this past summer, and I kept putting off going to the fabric store, so I wound up with a week to put my costume together. I got it to the "wearable" stage, but I didn't have all of the details I would have liked, and I had to stay up for 24 hours straight before the event to finish (and I wound up sewing/painting for the entire 8 hour car ride).
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
ItsTroy

First one I went to felt terrible, to me at least. I was more of an "in the closet" anime fan, and the truth be told, I thought anime fans were weird. I don't even remember the reason for going, but me and my friend went just to check it out. When we first arrived, the first thing we said was "OH GOD, WHY ARE WE HERE." We didn't go to any panels, big events, or even the raves. Our day consisted of walking around, making jokes at all the cosplays that we recognized (between us of course...) And scouring the dealers room. At the end of the day, we left with our bags of anime merchandise without interacting with any of the other con goers. We still thought anime fans were extremely strange people.We agreeded that conventions were the home of the weird people and we shouldn't step foot there ever again.

Fast forward 5 years. We love the convention and this year will be our 4th time in 5 years going. I've been working on cosplay and setting up photoshoots while my friend ponders about crossplaying again. Funny how that turned out.

Tips: talk to people, check out the panels, look into photoshoot a if you are cosplaying at all, go with at least one friend.
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
violetlights
Pokemon Master

^^ Same here Fab. I have a horrible habit of putting things off until the last second, my first cosplay was actually started the day before I left for the convention! >.< Needless to say, it did not turn out too great, but luckily I had a very kind and supportive group of friends to hang out with so I didn't feel too insecure. (I have since fixed it up; and it's now my favorite outfit to wear!) So yeah; give yourself plenty of time to finish your cosplay!

One thing I highly suggest; find out if/when/where your fandom is having a meetup or photoshoot, or if there's a group that you can hang out with! It's so much fun hanging out with fans of the same series and taking pictures with other characters.
violetlights is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

My first cosplay experience was a learning experience. This was back in 2003 and we were gearing up for San Diego Comic Con (this was back when you could buy a ticket the day of the event) We didn't know it was called cosplay, but we did know that we wanted to dress up like we had seen people do before. We (thankfully) chose something very simple. Black Mage and White Mage from the webcomic 8-Bit Theater. Very simple and comfy to wear, something I would recommend for any cosplay beginner.

We had no clue what to expect to be honest. We hurried inside, got our badges and when people asked us if they could take our picture, we stood there not knowing what to say or do. Thankfully most the guys that wanted our picture already had poses in mind and we had a blast that day.

So, I guess my advice would be, pick something simple and comfortable, have fun, and go with the flow.
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
BlazeofWar60
lolz

I'm still quite new to the cosplay community, given how my first cosplay experience was less than a year ago. My first cosplay was Shouma Takakura from Mawaru Penguindrum and Yuyuko Saigyouji from Touhou Project at Acen 15. For the latter one I remember how I got so nervous that I felt sick inside and my heart was beating pretty fast - almost as if it were about to explode. While waiting for the Touhou Project photoshoot I kept asking myself "Wtf am I doing here? Why am I doing this?" And even felt like changing back to my normal clothes. But the photoshoot turned out to be really awesome, and nothing was more flattering than when people would stop me for pictures, since I never expected anyone wanting to take a picture of me.

Bottom line: Don't panic, and keep calm! Also don't miss out on those photoshoots because they'll turn out to be more awesome than you think!

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Niraven
A Dinkum Professional

These are all really great stories! Thanks for sharing and please continue to share, guys!

This will be my first cosplay, I'm going to be crossplaying Sniper from Team Fortress 2, and I'd be doing this at Gamescom in August (Germany). The event is huge. I've been there many times before and have seen loads of cosplayers, but was always actually slightly intimidated by them! I had a friend last year however who was enamoured with them, and through her I learned these people are very, very nice and don't bite. I've got a friend who said she'd go with me as Chell from Portal so I wouldn't feel alone going by myself, and we'll be doing a workout routine together until then as well. I've already got the most important costume pieces (hat, glasses, vest in the works), I just have to go to a thrift store and get the proper shirt and pants. It's a character I'm comfortable with because I'm asked to RP and play him all the time anyway.

When we do go, I'll be in full-character, doing the accent and everything. It was a big "just for fun" thing with my family, but they encouraged me to take it a step further. Thanks to your guys' advice, I'll definitely pre-plan out poses and see if there's any special photoshoots beforehand.
Niraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
blueangel17

My first one was actually at a photo shoot at a park. We didn't expect many people to be there, but we still got a lot of pictures taken by random photographers walking around. My first one to a con was as Rin-default version. Well, prepare for pictures, lots of them. I remember I got my first picture taken as soon as I walked into the con. You should also think of lots of poses for your character, I normally run out of poses. Also, try to plan a photoshoot with your friends because it'll be lots of fun.
There will be photoshoots for a certain fandom, so ask around. This year, I was Sandplay Rin and a girl told me to join a vocaloid photoshoot. Too bad I missed it. Also seeing that you're cosplaying in August, make sure to bring lots of water. You're going to be super thirsty after posing and walking around is costume. Good luck and make sure the most important thing is to have fun!
blueangel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

My first one was last year. I was told for a transgender coming out again that going to an anime convention was the best way to do it. I was fortunate to get a ride there and my costume was not the greatest but I overcame my fear and did it. I learned a lot from the experience but I think I will avoid big ones until I am more prepared. It was a lot of walking from one event to another. I was fortunate to leave the heels at home though. Yeesh that would have been even worse. Always bring plenty of water and bring something to eat unless you like paying a fortune for the food at the event. That is one thing I knew because I was involved in hobby shows in the past so i had that bit of experience. The first time don't worry so much about your looks. If you seen how badly I looked you would not think twice about it lol. i had literally no makeup as I didn't know how to use it and knew nobody to help so I didn't look so great. But you know what I still went. So no matter how your costume turns out remember you made it, you came and you had fun. That is all that matters.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Rhapsados
Real Life Prince

My first time cosplaying was a good learning experience. It was at an extremely busy convention (Fan Expo) and I had no cosplaying friends. I basically just bought the tickets, drove to the convention, and winged it. My cosplay wasn't great, and one of the most embarrassing cosplaying experiences of my life was when I was standing beside someone who was cosplaying as the same person as me, and a person came up and asked them for their photo... and blatantly ignored me. Of course, theirs was much, much better than mine.

I've gotten quite a bit better now, though, and better at handling people and conventions.
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
leedilee06

I'm new to cosplay too, but I did cosplay once last december. I went for a really simple costume since I don't know how to sew or do crafty stuff like that. I went as SpongeBob SquarePants. I was a little worried people wouldn't know who I was, since I did not try to look exactly like SpongeBob but rather have a certain likeness to him while still looking human. Some people knew who I was, some had an idea of who I might be, but a few people had no idea who I was. One person thought I was some Hellsing character (I didn't know who they were talking about because I've never watched Hellsing). I got asked for only one picture. I entered the cosplay contest and lost to a really good Mulan cosplay. I made this really embarrasing mistake at the con. I mistakened this guy to be cosplaying Light Yagami from Death Note when he wasn't. I talked to some guy who said that everyone was treating cosplay as a contest, and that all they cared about was having the best, most expensive costume. I did not notice too much of that going on, but he may be right. I did see one cosplayer who seemed like a big show-off.
leedilee06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
animazn

I volunteered at my first con so I could get the feeling and I absolutely fell in love with it! So I went to my second con last year and it was awesome and everyone loved my cosplay. Just be ready for anything really. I got asked for lots of photos and a few hugs xD Some people were fangirling me and it was pretty funny. Don't worry too much about others, just enjoy the experience!

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote