Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
detenten

Personally, I wouldn't want to be caught by my co-workers in some of my skimpier cosplays. I feel it would have them think a little less of me and get too "familiar" as I like to keep a wall of professionalism between my personal and work life, but that is my own personal preference.

I think it's something to consider, and it all depends on your comfort zone. Student-teacher relations is a very tenuous balance.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Ron Jr

Never stop! We have a member of our Garrison that is a history teacher. On May 4th (Unofficial Star Wars day) he taught in his Biker Scout costume. The kids loved it. And as others brought up don't do or wear anything that you wouldn't want posted on the internet.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

When I was in college we discovered one of our prof's "alter egos" (he was part of a flashy cover band). He's so reserved and mellow in class it was a bit of a shock for us, and he was pretty embarrassed when we asked him "is this you?". He denied it repeatedly even though everyone knew it was a lie. I don't blame the guy one bit for feeling awkward, but from our point of view, we thought it was cool that he was doing something that he loved (and he really did look like he was having fun in those pictures).

The last day of classes, he told us all when and where his next show would be.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If a student accidentally discovers you, it's probably because you happened to share similar interests.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

When it stops being fun to cosplay is when you should stop in my opinion...just be careful to not post anything that you wouldn't want others to see.
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

If your students are at a convention, that means they love anime just as much as you do, so they'll probably think it's pretty cool to see their teacher there participating in something they love. I say you should only stop if you don't like it anymore, or you're too broke to cosplay. Otherwise, who gives a rip about what anyone else thinks?
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
belligerent
Viking Metal

Cosplay if you want and don't if you don't want. I'm not sure why you'd have to quit just because students of yours might be there. It's not like they're discovering anything scandalous. Especially as college students???

Also you're teaching art students, who are some of the weirdest I mean open-minded people going to college. I was an art major and would not have cared at all if my teachers were at anime cons.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #22
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

I'm still in High School, so I got a while till I'll stop cosplaying. Though how I look at it, the time to stop cosplaying is when you stop enjoying conventions and making cosplays. There isn't really a magical age where you have to give up cosplaying. I know some adults that are in their late 30s that are still cosplaying. If you are worried that it will hurt your career then try your best to keep it a secret and come up with an alias.

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Never.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #24
BeccaDoll
The genius ninja

Some students mightn't even recognise you in cosplay.

I had a teacher in high school who always attended Soundwave (it's an Australian heavy metal music festival). Students who saw her there would go up to her at school and chat, compare bands, etc. In a similar way, if it happened, you and your students could discuss the conventions and various cosplays. Students could either not care, not recognise you or think you (as a teacher) got so much cooler.

2014 Cosplays:
Homura Akemi-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Hyuuga Hinata-Naruto Shippuden
Uzumaki Kushina-Naruto Shippuden
Princess Daisy-Super Mario Brothers
BeccaDoll is offline   Reply With Quote