Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #6736
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

One of my cosplay photos ended up on 4chan and pretty much got ripped to shred in the typical 4chan manner, saying that I had a constipated face and I look like a dude. It was that Cammy cosplay I have in my photo gallery. I didn't find out about it until a few years later when a friend of mine recognized it. He was worried about telling me but I just laughed it off. Yeah, I looked silly but my boyfriend at the time loved it to death so I don't regret it one bit. There are far more important things to worry about then what a few strangers behind a keyboard that will forget about it after three days think of you.

Like trying not to kill yourself via bondo and fiberglass.
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #6737
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
One of my cosplay photos ended up on 4chan and pretty much got ripped to shred in the typical 4chan manner, saying that I had a constipated face and I look like a dude. It was that Cammy cosplay I have in my photo gallery. I didn't find out about it until a few years later when a friend of mine recognized it. He was worried about telling me but I just laughed it off. Yeah, I looked silly but my boyfriend at the time loved it to death so I don't regret it one bit. There are far more important things to worry about then what a few strangers behind a keyboard that will forget about it after three days think of you.

Like trying not to kill yourself via bondo and fiberglass.
Someone told me that a photo of my Luna Lovegood cosplay ended up on 4chan. Apparently they thought it was Nunnally from Code Geass despite it being clearly labeled and the outfits looking nothing alike. Just goes to prove that 4chaners are morons.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #6738
saku rokurouta
Lurker in training~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
The only rude comments I've really gotten are the usual for cosplayers like myself. Oh, you know...

"Ewww! Why are you cosplaying and you're BLACK?! Cosplaying is for US, not YOU PEOPLE!"
Or
"(insert character name here) isn't black!! So, why are you disgracing that character like that?!"

You know, the normal things you'd hear. At least, it's normal for me to hear.
I remember 2009 when someone had said a similar comment to me, i didn't cosplay for a while after wards (it was my first time cosplaying too, and i wasnt very confident like i am now). But after the relization (and support of friends) of that we're all nerds in outfits, I started back cosplaying in 2012 and comments like thats dont bother me anymore. If anything i regret going to cons and not cosplaying for two years

Cosplays Wanted
Black Rose -.//hack
Casca - Berserk

Cosplays Currently working on:
Kida 85%
Yoko Littner -100%
Yoko Littner Rifle -100%
Panty- 65%

Cons Attending
Momo Con 2013
Anime Day Atlanta 2013
Seishun Con (Fri - Sat) 2013
Dragon Con 2013 (Maybe)
Anime Weekend Atlanta (AWA) 2013
saku rokurouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #6739
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

I don't think they're morons. A lot of time, a person's filter tends to fly away once they get behind a keyboard. Someone who seems perfectly nice and reasonable in real life suddenly does a 180 once they get online. For me, it was always kind of a fascination in a psychological sense. But I digress.

4chan is a place for people to flock together anonymously and happily fling out the worst they can think of because they can. They expect you to lie, and make up whatever outrageous, horrible story they can imagine in order to come out on top. Even the smartest, most intelligent person can sometimes give in to their more base desires to be 'that guy'. They find a topic, say the 'worst' or 'funniest' thing they can think of, then move on and find something else to troll and get a reaction out of. And eventually it goes away. Personally, I stay away from 4chan because I'd prefer not to be drawn into it.

Do I think they're all morons? No, I don't. Do I think what they're doing is okay? Not really, but as I said before, there are far more important things to worry over.

Edit: I took at look at your Luna Lovegood and it's very cute. I like the curly wig a lot.

Last edited by Bm-Atticus : 02-23-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #6740
aznwolverine
I lika do da cha cha

One of my friends got ripped to shreds too on that site. His cosplay was sick and got many awards. He was also a pretty intimidating dude and they wouldn't say that to him in real life. Just goes to show that anyone can get rude comments. The best cosplayers probably get negative comments too. If they aren't man enough to say it to your face and stand by what they say.... who cares!
aznwolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #6741
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saku rokurouta View Post
I remember 2009 when someone had said a similar comment to me, i didn't cosplay for a while after wards (it was my first time cosplaying too, and i wasnt very confident like i am now). But after the relization (and support of friends) of that we're all nerds in outfits, I started back cosplaying in 2012 and comments like thats dont bother me anymore. If anything i regret going to cons and not cosplaying for two years
The main difference between experiences here is that...well, you have friends that boosted your confidence in cosplaying whatever you desire and building you up to ignore such ignorance.

I have "friends"(I use this term loosely) that tell me "Well, if you had cosplayed within your color in the first damned place, you wouldn't have this problem, dumbass!" Yeah, I've WONDERFUL friends.

This is why I desperately rely on folks from Cosplay.com to check my cosplaying both on this site and my other sites, like my Facebook fanpage. My "friends" won't even bother to give me feedback, and if they do, it's negative. I FREQUENTLY get called a "weaboo" by them, yet it's these same "friends" that hound the Dealer's Room to buy their little Super Sentai/Kamen Rider toys and recite every possible line from these shows while acting out the scenes...yet, I'm the "weaboo" for cosplaying.

I need new friends...

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

TigerCon 2014
[b][size="1"]Gilbert Beilschmidt/Prussia - Axis Powers Hetalia

Halloween 2014
...still planning this one...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #6742
PurpleLeafX3

I just had my first cosplay and got really good comments, but my friend who is a really great cosplayer cosplayed as Rose from Homestuck and this girl told her "You look like a gay grisley bear"...I was a minute away from breaking a chair on that girl I mean geez! How rude!
Next: Annie Leonhardt \ Shingeki No Kyojin \ Annie and Mikasa pair
Next: Eru Chitanda \ Hyouka \ Solo [date unknown]
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #6743
saku rokurouta
Lurker in training~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
The main difference between experiences here is that...well, you have friends that boosted your confidence in cosplaying whatever you desire and building you up to ignore such ignorance.

I have "friends"(I use this term loosely) that tell me "Well, if you had cosplayed within your color in the first damned place, you wouldn't have this problem, dumbass!" Yeah, I've WONDERFUL friends.

This is why I desperately rely on folks from Cosplay.com to check my cosplaying both on this site and my other sites, like my Facebook fanpage. My "friends" won't even bother to give me feedback, and if they do, it's negative. I FREQUENTLY get called a "weaboo" by them, yet it's these same "friends" that hound the Dealer's Room to buy their little Super Sentai/Kamen Rider toys and recite every possible line from these shows while acting out the scenes...yet, I'm the "weaboo" for cosplaying.

I need new friends...
Yeah, you do (If youre ever down in georgia, and attending a con you have me as a friend). Because no one should be told they cant cosplay a certain character, just becasue of a different skin tone. But if you have a tumblr, have you ever thought about submitting some of your pics to http://cosplayingwhileblack.tumblr.com/? (I've been working on sending in my own pics in, but im going to wait untill the next con to get them professionally taken) But i've been following this site for a year now, and this site has also raised my cofindence in cosplaying characters of diffrent skin tones. Also i love your squall and purssia cosplay

Cosplays Wanted
Black Rose -.//hack
Casca - Berserk

Cosplays Currently working on:
Kida 85%
Yoko Littner -100%
Yoko Littner Rifle -100%
Panty- 65%

Cons Attending
Momo Con 2013
Anime Day Atlanta 2013
Seishun Con (Fri - Sat) 2013
Dragon Con 2013 (Maybe)
Anime Weekend Atlanta (AWA) 2013
saku rokurouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #6744
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saku rokurouta View Post
Yeah, you do (If youre ever down in georgia, and attending a con you have me as a friend). Because no one should be told they cant cosplay a certain character, just becasue of a different skin tone. But if you have a tumblr, have you ever thought about submitting some of your pics to http://cosplayingwhileblack.tumblr.com/? (I've been working on sending in my own pics in, but im going to wait untill the next con to get them professionally taken) But i've been following this site for a year now, and this site has also raised my cofindence in cosplaying characters of diffrent skin tones. Also i love your squall and purssia cosplay
Wow! You folks are quite kind. And you really think I'm THAT good that I should submit something I've done? It really makes me wish I wasn't stuck in Maryland or wish that I could drive. All of this postiveness...I'm not used to it being genuine...thank you so much.

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

TigerCon 2014
[b][size="1"]Gilbert Beilschmidt/Prussia - Axis Powers Hetalia

Halloween 2014
...still planning this one...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #6745
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

This place is one big ball of support when it all comes down to it. Because in end we're all here because we love cosplay in one way or another.

This is my facebook http://www.facebook.com/elisabeth.duty if you ever need someone to talk to for any reason, I'll be more then happy to talk to you

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #6746
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
I started this group with some people, and when my friend wanted to cosplay as a certain character, the other people in the group seriously just had this big ole' hissy fit about how 'it was so rude to claim a character that's already been taken'. Uhm.... what? I think it's cute to have two of the same character, sometimes. It's not right to try and tell someone who they can and can't cosplay, or not let them join a group because they happen to like the same character you do.
There is no character claiming *twitch* >.O

I hate people
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #6747
BlazeofWar60
lolz

So... after browsing around this thread for a bit, I noticed that most of you generally agree with the following: "Ignore the rude comments from random bystanders - they don't know anything about cosplay! What really hurts is the rude comments from fellow cosplayers."

I definitely have to agree. If I cosplay at a con and see bystanders staring at me in a way that reads "wtf is he doing?" or "he's a freak" then I really don't care because they don't know what's going on and that's probably the most natural response they can give if they aren't aware that there's an anime convention going on.

What really irks me though is the rude comments coming from inside the cosplay community, like fellow cosplayers insulting others about their cosplays. One thing that really pissed me off was my "friend" (no, srsly I don't think he is anymore) who said I was "too skinny to cosplay" a certain character. I would have simply brushed it off if he didn't know anything about cosplay, but he does cosplay at cons he goes to and claims to be "a nonjudgmental cosplayer."
Is that so? Then a friend of mine said he wanted to cosplay as Suwako from Touhou Project, and my other "friend" goes on to say that he shouldn't because he is "too tall and too chubby". Not to mention that he cast this creeped out look at the idea of crossplaying. HA! This from "a nonjudgmental cosplayer"? Nonjudgmental cosplayer my ass! I'm so glad that he's leaving our group this year because his kinds are not welcome in my group - we all aim to cosplay for fun, and we don't need his rude judgmental remarks about a cosplayer's physique/skin color/gender to engage in the fun.

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."

Last edited by BlazeofWar60 : 02-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #6748
MirniMausi
Just live more

I think most of the comments from fellow cosplayers are so rude because of the way they say it. It's one thing what you think about people. I have to admit that I always mentally comment the photos I see, including stuff like "too chubby, nose too big, eyes too small" but if I really want to tell the person what I think of it, I'll do it in a friendly, constructive way. It pisses me off that people seem to forget how much words can hurt a person. Also, giving criticism to a person who doesn't ask for it isn't quite the best thing to do because that can also sound pretty rude. And if people critisize others, it sure would sound much better if they add something friendly to it, like what they really like about the other person's cosplay.

In Germany, we have a saying that literally translates as "the tone makes the music"- I dunno if there's an English equivalent to this, but this pretty much sums my post up so I thought I might add it

~Up Next~
Maybe: Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #6749
trmbngrl
Britt

Was just told my latest project 'hurt to look at'
lol
that is like... kind of funny to me.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #6750
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

I haven't really cosplayed yet but I started working on several serious cosplays for anime expo. I told some friends I was doing Sakura Haruno from Naruto and one is all like..
You are too mexican to be Sakura, and the other one was like, I agree..

I am not even mexican.. >> I am half black. I hate how when you don't have pale skin, people think you can't cosplay that person.

Whatever, when the whole cosplay is complete, I will show them how awesome I look. (getting them all handmade and stuff. ^^)
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote