Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
devilsmaycare

Large Wing Help

Hi guys

I've been scavenging the forums for tutorials or information about constructing large, articulating angel wings. My friend and I are interested in making wings with real feathers and we want them to be of a considerable size (granted, nothing like 13 feet, but you get the idea).

Any tips or information that you guys could post on here would be amazing. We are planning on basing the wings off of the angel wings from Supernatural and the fanart from that fandom (though just keeping a very basic, angelic form is our main goal). Thank you in advance for your help, this is our biggest cosplaying endeavor yet.
devilsmaycare is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Pardon my, um, stupidity, but by articulating, do you mean ones that will move? I really don't know what that means so..If that's right then could you explain what kind of movements you want it to do? Oviously making them so you can physically pull then toward you to get through doors will be different then making them, say, flap or something..lol I can look up tutorials and give you some ideas once i know more what you are looking for it to do.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
devilsmaycare

By articulating, I do mean moving. We want it to do as much as possible. I found this amazing guy on deviantart.com who created a DC motor that allowed his wings to flap and stretch. I've tried contacting him to see what he used (because I'm kinda into engineering and I am sure I can figure out how to put together the motor if he gave me the material list) but he hasn't messaged me back yet.

We at least want them to fold (so we don't crash into things, it wouldn't be fun to have our wings ripped off). Making them flap would take more effort, I get that, but we are willing to put in the time and manpower. Originally, we wanted them to be attached to our arms or wrists or the like so that when our arms moved, the wings moved to kinda make it look more realistic. Ideally, we'd want something between our original idea and the guy's wonderful contraption.

Thank you so much for trying to help me
devilsmaycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh never mind then lol I've never seen a tutorial on all of that..I think the best you are gonna do is getting him to message you back..That's the bad thing about DA..You never know when they last were on there so it coulda been hours....Or YEARS........lol I have seen a few tutorials for making them fold in, but they won't help you if you want to do much more then that as you would be completely changing the mechanism anyway..Sorry, you could try posting in the props forum (2 forums down). There are a bit of people in there that may be able to help you.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote