Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
killyjoy000
lonely lolita

Transgender crossplay

So, I have a dilemma. I'm a transman, which (for those of you who don't know) means that I was born biologically female, but I identify as a guy.

But I REALLY love to dress in girls' (and girly) clothes. Does this make me a terrible hypocrite? Is it fair for me to want people to call me a guy, even though I wear girl's clothes and have a girl's body (unfortunately)?

This just makes me really guilty, and I'd like some sort of insight, I guess.
killyjoy000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I'm a transguy too and, while I would never dress as a female myself, I guess you are free to do whatever floats your boat. If you feel comfortable cosplaying as a female character and/or wearing female clothes then nothing is there to stop you. Then again if you dress girly and interact with someone who takes for granted you're cis-gendered because of that.. well, it might get confusing because most trans people wouldn't dress like the gender they don't identify with. You might have to explain you're transmale but just.. don't mind dressing the way you do. But in the end you're the only one who has the right to identify what/who you are and you also have the right to wear whatever the hell you like... within the law of course. Not cool to go around pretending to be a cop or something. XD

Sorry if I worded something wrong.. it's past midnight where I live.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 02-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

This is a pretty sensitive topic I guess, it doesn't invalidate your identity but people are less likely to perceive you as male if you are dressed as a female. If you're okay with that, that's fine, of course you can correct these people but you should know to expect it.

But there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't make your identity less valid so you shouldn't feel bad about it. I mean, it's not like plenty of cis guys don't like to wear female clothes too, right?

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
This is a pretty sensitive topic I guess, it doesn't invalidate your identity but people are less likely to perceive you as male if you are dressed as a female. If you're okay with that, that's fine, of course you can correct these people but you should know to expect it.

But there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't make your identity less valid so you shouldn't feel bad about it. I mean, it's not like plenty of cis guys don't like to wear female clothes too, right?
I also agree with this. If you go along doing it be prepared for people she/her/ma'am/whatever-ing you and questioning you if you mention you don't identify as female. If you're fine that, more power to you. I know I would sink into a deep black hole...

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Paranoia
Paranoia

I've actually met a bunch of transmen who prefer dressing feminine AFTER they transition. Trust me, you are not alone, and I say go for it!

Sakura Con 2013 Cosplays
Lisbeth [Sword Art Online]
Kyou [Clannad]
Fairy Kei Sei Fuku [Original Design]
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

I say you are interesting in that regard. Put it this way, you are a crossdresser in female body.

I am a MtF transgender, but you know, just because that is so doesn't mean I would only have interest in dresses and skirts. I'd still wear basic guy's clothes too if I liked them. *Shrug*

But as I say to everyone else mostly, what isn't there to like about dresses and skirts? So much you can do with them.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
huskies4ever

Just... wear what you want, you know? Sure, there will be people who'll call you out for it, but isn't there always that one person who does? Be prepared for people to not agree with it, be also know that whatever they think doesn't really affect you. It's your mind, it's your body and worse scenario, you can just correct the person if they use the wrong pronoun.

tl;dr If you identify as a guy, go ahead. If you feel like wearing frilly dresses, go ahead. Because gender box, what gender box?
huskies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
patriciarakel

I've known several transmen who have done crossplay. My sister's fiance makes a kick-ass Anastasia. Don't let what people think of you stop you from doing what you love.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
Twin-Tails
~Tails

I'm a Transguy too! I'll agree with the others, if your fine doing it, go ahead! No one can stop you, but just be prepared for other people to see you as female. If this is ok with you, there isn't any reason why you shouln't
Twin-Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

What you identify as and what clothes you wear are not connected, do what you want bro and have fun.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I gave up on what people think of me anymore. I am MtF and I will wear whatever I please as long as it does not violate my dignity or put me in the position where people refer to me as a shemale that does it for fetish. I am asexual and am incapable of such nonsense but I get it a lot just because I like my Lolita. sissy shemale I have been called. Ba'h the heck with them I will be me and that is that

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

I wear female costumes all the time, but I still identify as a guy when I do and am quite comfortable with that. It's not "unfair" or "hypocritical" for you to do that - there is no special set of rules that you are breaking. The people who try to convince you that there are such rules are trying to play you to gain advantage.

Express yourself any way you want, and have some fun. That's what this hobby is supposed to be about.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Zafie
8 Year Cosplay Veteran

I'm also a fellow FtM trans guy. I've only ever cosplayed as male characters, but very soon I will make an exception for the MLP series. Don't worry too much about it, your not alone, bro.

Naru2U 2013:

Cheerilee Gijinka - My Little Pony (Friday)

? - ? (Saturday)

? - ? (Sunday)

G-Anime 2014:

Coming Soon!

Anime North 2014:

Coming Soon!
Zafie is offline   Reply With Quote