Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #61
ludicium

I don't really get why people would bring their small children (3 and under) to an event like AN but then I don't have kids. I can barely navigate myself through those crowds, let alone imagine having a small child and/or their pram with me.

As for tips, I'm adding my voice to the water is good vote. I usually bring a water bottle that keeps stuff cold for hrs. Parasols/Umbrellas come in handy as portable shade if you carry one. If you're at the con in a pair or with a group, it's probably a good idea to have a designated time/place to meet up just in case. If your hotel room doesn't have a fridge, bring a cooler to keep drinks in. Snacks are always good to bring with you. If you go to Perkins, be prepared to wait a long time.

Which speaking of, anyone know of a place that's good for breakfast besides Perkins?
ludicium is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #62
Lacrymosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Great list! I don't think I can add anything to it. Please don't go crazy with the perfume... Some of us has allergies. And be mindful of your baby stroller.
I agree, I don't have allergies, but I get terrible headaches when around someone wearing too much perfume. I find people always put on way too much, because they put it on according to how well the can smell it. It's always stronger than you think.

I have the same issue with smokers, nothing against you guys, but I get migraines the second I am even remotely close to a smoker. Not saying they shouldn't smoke, just don't smoke and then walk into the dealers room or in any small enclosed places where you are pressed up against people, maybe walk outside a bit and hope a breeze will blow some of the smell away. Sorry if that sounded totally rude, but I seriously cannot help giving people the dirtiest looks if they come near me after just coming in from a smoke break. This will help all those people with asthma too

And I think I have one thing to add maybe. Most of the restaurants don't allow for reservations at all over the convention because they often can't guarantee a place at a specific time because of the amount of traffic. Give yourself lots of time, and go in to ask how long for the next table before committing. In the past, my friends and I either go somewhere else or will leave and come back 15min before the time they tell us. But it's always been a sort of "hope for the best" sort of situation in my case
Lacrymosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #63
Rei-Azalia

I recall that happening with me too. i'll update it after class when i have more time.
Rei-Azalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #64
Rhapsados
IRL Ibuki Mioda

I bought pre-reg for AN this year, which I didn't last. I'm not able to go to the early pickup for pre-reg on Thursday - if I get there a bit early on Friday, what are the chances I'm not standing in line for 10 hours?

I went early to Fan Expo because I thought there was going to be a huge line, and there was, and I was in the very front... but of course, I ended up waiting almost 2 hours.

Is it worth it to go early and wait, or will the pickup always be moderately accessible? (By that, I mean no more than 45 minutes-ish of line waiting.)

On the topic of allergies, I'm allergic to a LOT of things and obviously carrying around both mild and severe allergy medication/equipment. It's pretty much common sense but some people forget... and basically pay the price. I can't remember if AN stocks peanuts or stuff like that, but yeah... just... try not to bring it into a crowded convention.

I don't know if this has been talked about but please, please don't play your music obnoxiously loud in the hallway. I'm not sure if it's just me but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Especially in crowded hallways! A moving, busy hallway is not a dance party zone.

Future Cosplays
Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Akali (League of Legends)

Last edited by Rhapsados : 02-25-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Rhapsados is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #65
Rei-Azalia

if you go early on the friday, get settled in your hotel room and then get in line, or take shifts with someone else if you want to be early. the door will not open before the line starts forming, so its literally first come first served, yet serving will begin when the doors open. if that makes sense.

the line USUALLY moves fast, but i've also seen it go on for quite a while. your best bet is the shifts idea, if you can get someone to go with you.

I agree with the allergies. Its best to leave peanut products and oranges at home or at the very least keep them in the hotel room. I'll update the con etti list mentioning both that and the music.

The music is for raves or maybe for outdoor stuff. (i know i've seen people do the caramelldansen outside in large groups)
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #66
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsados View Post
I bought pre-reg for AN this year, which I didn't last. I'm not able to go to the early pickup for pre-reg on Thursday - if I get there a bit early on Friday, what are the chances I'm not standing in line for 10 hours?

I went early to Fan Expo because I thought there was going to be a huge line, and there was, and I was in the very front... but of course, I ended up waiting almost 2 hours.

Is it worth it to go early and wait, or will the pickup always be moderately accessible? (By that, I mean no more than 45 minutes-ish of line waiting.)

On the topic of allergies, I'm allergic to a LOT of things and obviously carrying around both mild and severe allergy medication/equipment. It's pretty much common sense but some people forget... and basically pay the price. I can't remember if AN stocks peanuts or stuff like that, but yeah... just... try not to bring it into a crowded convention.

I don't know if this has been talked about but please, please don't play your music obnoxiously loud in the hallway. I'm not sure if it's just me but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Especially in crowded hallways! A moving, busy hallway is not a dance party zone.
reg opens at 2 and I suggest getting there to line up by 1 at least, and then you'll probably be waiting 2 hours (thats how long we waited last year arriving at 1), but if you wait until 2 or later, you maybe waiting for 3+ hours (I knew some people who came at 5 and waited about that long, missed all the events for Friday pretty much), so it depends if you want to wait in a moving line or a standing line, cause if you get there at 12, you're still waiting 2 hours, but your standing in the same spot the whole time...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #67
Rei-Azalia

pretty much the best description of it ^
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #68
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsados View Post

AN itself doesn't stock any food except in the staff areas or in like their maid cafe as far as I have seen. The TCC itself has a small food area with some limited stuff but i've never been in there, plus a few places in the dealers room and the DT of course has food as well. I have never seen peanuts anywhere which is good, but it's hard to tell if something has been contaminated.

Some AN staff has their First Aid and CPR (at least I do) as well.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #69
Rei-Azalia

c: its a very safe, considerate con.
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #70
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Well 3 months is the bare minimum before their immune system can handle things like being around a large group of people. I personally wouldn't bring a child until they are a few years old and can handle being dragged around for part of a day because even at 3 months you are basically in the hotel room feeding for a fair chunk of the day and staying away from the TCC due to the sound barrier (giant headphones for airplane peoples? lol).

.... but I have caught 2 posts from mothers-to-be on the AN forum asking about bringing a newborn to the con (1 thinking they would need a wheelchair..... so assuming this baby will basically have the gunk cleaned off and then dumped in a sea of 25k people).
I saw this post as well, I don't think the parents are thinking this through. Baby safety should come first.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #71
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

I would NEVER bring a newborn to a con. They are just too wee and fragile. I woukd be worried about them the entire time PLUS I would find it inconsiderate to other congoers if the wee one became upset and cried at any time.

I have a few TUmblr posts on how to survive a con:

How not to be a con creeper:
http://technikittyconfession.tumblr....esterdays-post

How to behave at a con:
http://technikittyconfession.tumblr....popular-tumblr

And a almost there con guide
http://technikittyconfession.tumblr....here-con-guide

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #72
elledesu

Pretty sure Kawaii is pronounced with an extra long 'E' sound at the end. cuh-why-ee?
; w; don't need people running around saying it wrong or whatever.
sometimes it's bad enough that they're running around saying it anyway..

ANYWAYS, more importantly, masquerade & skit contest: for both the contestants and audience/con-goers.
- don't speak too loudly or make unnecessary noise because that's just plain rude. I cannot stress this enough. I mean, during a performance, don't shout to a friend across the room. If you MUST MUST MUST, either take it outside or go over there and whisper super quietly. You can however talk between breaks or not during a performance, etc.
- if someone is rushing to the masquerade or skit and clearly says so, do NOT hinder them by begging for a picture or anything of that nature. Be patient and wait for when they have time. I've seen this happen a few times before and it really sucks.
- it's always better to be there early than late. Arrive 5 minutes, 10 minutes, maybe even 15 minutes early. I guess it's self explanatory but there are still people who don't get it and arrive late/last minute. .____.
... WELP.
It's late so I can't think of much more than that but if I do, I'll probably post again. :B
elledesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #73
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elledesu View Post
Pretty sure Kawaii is pronounced with an extra long 'E' sound at the end. cuh-why-ee?
ka-wa-ee

You never say kuh-why-ee or pronounce it as two syllables like "kuh-why"--that sounds like "kowai", which can mean "scary" or "undesirable". That's why many a weeaboo otaku who tries to hit on Japanese girls with "kawaii" ends up very disappointed, he's usually accidentally telling the girls they scare and repulse him.

And honestly, I wish people wouldn't say it at cons anyway. It's like, seriously, you're already speaking every single other word in English, just say "cute", goddammit.
FanFare Geek Fest 2
FrostCon 2015

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak - Standard {98%} for Homestuck Halloween Picnic and FanFare Geek Fest 2
Totakeke {90%} for AN15
L {75%} for AN15
The Signless {50%} for FrostCon 2015
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {25%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 05-11-2013 at 04:23 AM.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #74
elledesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
ka-wa-ee

You never say kuh-why-ee or pronounce it as two syllables like "kuh-why"--that sounds like "kowai", which can mean "scary" or "undesirable". That's why many a weeaboo otaku who tries to hit on Japanese girls with "kawaii" ends up very disappointed, he's usually accidentally telling the girls they scare and repulse him.
I'm pretty sure the "kuh" part is correct. seeing as how ka would be about the same thing. Kowai would be well.. 'ko' not kuh which is closer to ka anyway. the 'a' sounds more like uh anyway. But yeah, I know what you're trying to say, I get it .

However, it'll be off topic to keep talking about that XD
I just thought that I would point it out.
elledesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #75
Rei-Azalia

i tried to spell it phonetically. guess i failed and for that i'm sorry. :B