Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlit Rose View Post
I think all we really want is just for Admin to try to set aside the time to get this site where it needs to be...
That's the problem. Everyone has been waiting patiently. We've been waiting for far too long. To fall back on what Mango said, we're the traffic that's generating the income. The website makes money and we simply want services to come with that revenue.

As of now, all we have to show for it is a half finished product that's worse off now than it was years ago.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
I'd like to point out that this isn't the case--we're not getting something free provided out of the goodness of someone's heart here. You're generating ad revenue and wig sale revenue at best: even if you're not buying any wigs and you've got AdBlock or a similar service to keep ads from displaying, your presence and posting here helps keep cosplay.com attractive to prospective advertisers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
That's the problem. Everyone has been waiting patiently. We've been waiting for far too long. To fall back on what Mango said, we're the traffic that's generating the income. The website makes money and we simply want services to come with that revenue.

As of now, all we have to show for it is a half finished product that's worse off now than it was years ago.
Sorry, I had poor choice of wording there. My thinking was that I was afraid he viewed us as such - as if we don't have a place to be complaining when we aren't directly paying him for a service. Our activity certainly brings all the adverts to the yard, but it's not a pay-to-use site, and therefore I feel like the connection between our interests and Admin's interest in keeping us (not the advertisers) happy has become unimportant. What I mean to say is that that is what I am afraid of him feeling, though I would hope that's not the case! But when it seems like he's pretty much dropped communication with us and there's not been any update from him within recent memory, I can't help but feel like our complaints have been meaning nothing to him. I just do not know anyone so busy that they have to drop a major overhaul of a widely-used website and not have the time at all to update it over the course of...however long it's been. I'm sure he's busy, but if he cared at all about the site, I would think he would find a way to make time for it. It's as if he lost interest and ran out of squats to give.

...and that is a long-winded, probably equally poorly worded explanation of what was going through my mind. XD I apologize if this is really confusing. I probably shouldn't be trying to clarify things when I'm in zombie mode.

But anyway, I completely agree. Regardless of whether this site is making enough money to make this his full time job, or just enough to keep itself afloat, the overhaul has been on pause for an unreasonable amount of time. It really needs to get prioritized or handed off to someone who has the time to do something with it, because overall, it really is worse off than it was before. The new features that have been implemented and the ones that were planned had potential, but this is just a mess. And I would imagine that the foot traffic has declined since the site's been in this limbo stage. To me, it feels like use has slowed down, and surely that must be affecting the ad revenue as a result.
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr

Last edited by Starlit Rose : 02-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #18
Access

I think this site has already lost critical mass, it hit its peak 2-3 years ago but today, so few people I talk to irl still actively use it. It's just not a big part of the local scene anymore, most serious photographers have moved elsewhere, gatherings are set up not here but on facebook, discussion is far more limited (and not a lot of new people who stick around), too many important conventions don't have boards, and so on.

Whoever is running it might have seen this trend and already be spending his energy elsewhere, it seems like if it was going to be completed, it would have been so by now.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

You're completely right. I joined a couple of months before the marketplace was shut down and we were forced to move here.
I agree that all of the problems the OP mentioned really need to be fixed..
What happened to the new marketplace that was supposedly being built?
& yeah, the 'events happening this month' on the front page.. May, really? It's FEBRUARY.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
Ditto. I've all but stopped bothering. For every one minute it takes me upload my photos on [insert any website on the internet here], it takes me 15 minutes here.
An Autopsy of a Dead Social Network: http://www.technologyreview.com/view...ocial-network/

"They say that when the costs–the time and effort–associated with being a member of a social network outweigh the benefits, then the conditions are ripe for a general exodus."

Sounds exactly like what we're all experiencing here.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Kildread
I can fix it!

Aren't these issues floating unresolved the result of a monopoly? I don't think there's really a dedicated cosplay (Not something cosplayers take over for cosplay, like Facebook) social website the size of Cosplay.com out there (I don't know if ACP qualifies...) for english speakers, so even with the problems, it still retains the user base. Complaints ongoing, it's not making the visibility of the website go down any, regardless of the hurdles it is in usage. Heck, you see people using this as a cosplay social outlet while uploading/linking their photos elsewhere all the time.

But I disgress on the subject.

A lot of the complaints since the makeover (Many outlined here) are due to stylesheet, code that is not compatible across browsers, incomplete functions --- I don't know what process CosCom works on behind the scenes for accomplishing projects, my outlook as an observer and someone who actually *does* development on websites and software applications is:

CosCom needs a qualified website designer. I'm not talking outputting awesome new features, it's just a sense of fixing what is broken on major browers. But even then, picture post-processing, upload and storage is not just website design, even moreso considering the traffic generated by this website.

I've seen an ad for a designer for CosCom on the internet months ago, so I know they were/are hiring. Slowness in outputting features might be partly caused by that --- but it's all just theory.

Last edited by Kildread : 02-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #22
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Don't forget journals. We haven't had access to our journals for, what, about a year now? I used to use mine fairly frequently to post entries about the costumes I'm working on, but now I can't do that. I've started just posting them on a cosplay account on LiveJournal but I'd prefer to do it here where, you know, pictures of my costumes actually reside.

There are numerous other bugs and glitches that haven't been fixed yet as well. The seemingly random ordering of our costumes for one. Some says it's now ordered by the date we last updated the costume, but I have one costume that I haven't updated in months and it's always near the top, while costumes I've recently updated are below it. Go figure.
There's also no way to show the completion percentage of a costume anymore.

It would be nice to have at least some kind of information and communication for the developers on this site, but unfortunately we seem to be ignored more often than not...

I have been thinking of just going to a different cosplay website but I feel like I've been here too long for that. All of my costumes and images are on this site, I really don't feel like listing them all over again...

Last edited by Blue Leader : 03-01-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #23
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

I agree so much with what has been said here...
We've been waiting for a change far too long, we deserve better.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
I agree so much with what has been said here...
We've been waiting for a change far too long, we deserve better.
I wouldn't say that we deserve better since this is still a membership fee-free place.

But I do agree that things need to be fixed and updated after they were announced ages ago.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
A lot of the complaints since the makeover (Many outlined here) are due to stylesheet, code that is not compatible across browsers, incomplete functions --- I don't know what process CosCom works on behind the scenes for accomplishing projects, my outlook as an observer and someone who actually *does* development on websites and software applications is:

CosCom needs a qualified website designer. I'm not talking outputting awesome new features, it's just a sense of fixing what is broken on major browers. But even then, picture post-processing, upload and storage is not just website design, even moreso considering the traffic generated by this website.
Exactly.

OMG. Whenever I notice some new bug I'm always tempted to post the fix in the forms, but A) I don't think they even look at it/it would be lost in the long Bugs List thread and B) I'm not going to do my day job for free here just because it's a site I frequent.

BTW, I'm not getting any email notifications from this site anymore. Guessing they turned them off for testing or they are having trouble with the mail server
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Emrys

Also Kildread, your icon + tagline are perfect for this thread. Seriously.
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Oh, also one option I really miss is that we can't edit our already uploaded photos. I remember earlier that even after you had uploaded a photo you could change the file.. this was awesome when you wanted to replace the photo with a bigger/smaller one or wanted to add a watermark or something later.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
Kayu-sama

There are also STILL no events for 2013 even though it's March.

I also have wanted to change my username for ages, I even considered just making a new account but moving my photos to the new account would be an absolute nightmare with the current uploading system.

Oh, and the gallery's a huge pain, with how many clicks it takes to get from your profile to your galleries.

There's just so many things wrong with this site, why can't any of them be fixed? I know it takes time, but it's beyond the point of ridiculous now. I know they're not against advertising so why not use some ad money to hire a web designer to fix things up?
Kayu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #29
why_00
Emileigh

It really IS ridiculous. And to think. It wouldn't even be that bad if they finished the "fixes" they started in the first place. Many of the problems have come from them starting a bunch of projects and then leaving them halfway finished. A website like this has to be bringing in SOME revenue. Plus they have the wig store, that has to be bringing in something too right? I don't understand why they would sabotage themselves by ruining the functionality of the website

It's too bad that this is pretty much the only big cosplay site like this. I would love to switch in a heartbeat. Right now the only thing that keeps me here is the amazing userbase this place has. Everyone here is so wonderfully helpful and nice.
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #30
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_00 View Post
It's too bad that this is pretty much the only big cosplay site like this. I would love to switch in a heartbeat. Right now the only thing that keeps me here is the amazing userbase this place has. Everyone here is so wonderfully helpful and nice.
I agree - the forums here are invaluable. However, I find that my continuing issues with photos - on a website devoted to a photo-centric hobby - force me to other options, like deviantART and Tumblr.

I don't think we're asking for much: a decent upload system, better sizing limits, and functioning buddy lists - those are my big three.

Next con: SacAnime (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote