Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #1171
Access

For the ones that aren't listed, perhaps 1) they already have them, or 2) there's no way they can get them. In either of these cases, there's no reason to put them in the survey, unless they are trying to obfuscate that.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #1172
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
For the ones that aren't listed, perhaps 1) they already have them, or 2) there's no way they can get them. In either of these cases, there's no reason to put them in the survey, unless they are trying to obfuscate that.
They listed AKB48 and Sophia as possible returning musical acts, I don't know why. I know that Sophia wasn't too pleased with the turnout for their concert. Same goes to AKB48 and they labeled it as a failure. Hatsune Miku is a long shot to return if they don't get Nokia.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1173
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
They listed AKB48 and Sophia as possible returning musical acts, I don't know why. I know that Sophia wasn't too pleased with the turnout for their concert. Same goes to AKB48 and they labeled it as a failure. Hatsune Miku is a long shot to return if they don't get Nokia.
But why all the talk of 'returning' acts in the first place?
I know the vocaloid fandom would like to see another Miku concert, and another one after that, and yet another one, and so on. But that's just not going to happen. With the others, if they want to live up to their reputation, they have to find some A-class talent that has not performed in the US before. That is the expectation, at least.
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #1174
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
I know the vocaloid fandom would like to see another Miku concert, and another one after that, and yet another one, and so on. But that's just not going to happen.
Who said that? Yes, AX hasn't been on the best terms referring to budget and price wise, but I think its possible. Hatsune Miku was a big crowd pleasure and I know for a fact there's more people out there now willing to take a dive and see her.

Price, budget and crave.
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #1175
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
But why all the talk of 'returning' acts in the first place?
I know the vocaloid fandom would like to see another Miku concert, and another one after that, and yet another one, and so on. But that's just not going to happen. With the others, if they want to live up to their reputation, they have to find some A-class talent that has not performed in the US before. That is the expectation, at least.
They listed them in the question: "If the following musical guests return, would you buy a ticket to their concert?"

This survey should just be left with open-ended answers rather than a list of musical GoHs that were here for the last couple years.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #1176
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Who said that? Yes, AX hasn't been on the best terms referring to budget and price wise, but I think its possible. Hatsune Miku was a big crowd pleasure and I know for a fact there's more people out there now willing to take a dive and see her.

Price, budget and crave.
The numbers just don't work out, those concerts only happened because they had big sponsors (Toyota, Sega, etc.) willing to throw away a lot of money. Crypton cannot do the concerts alone.

You know that, theoretically, if they had Miku Concerts on every day of the convention, every day would be full in under a month (or less) and many people would be going for all four. And the year after that, they would want even more.

ZUN - Going to Anime Weekend Atlanta
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is doing her own tour
I'm not going to make any more of a list, but it seems like the people I'd like to see perform at AX aren't going to.

Last edited by Access : 02-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #1177
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
The numbers just don't work out, those concerts only happened because they had big sponsors (Toyota, Sega, etc.) willing to throw away a lot of money. Crypton cannot do the concerts alone.

You know that, theoretically, if they had Miku Concerts on every day of the convention, every day would be full in under a month (or less) and many people would be going for all four. And the year after that, they would want even more.

ZUN - Going to Anime Weekend Atlanta
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is doing her own tour
I'm not going to make any more of a list, but it seems like the people I'd like to see perform at AX aren't going to.
You have a point there...not to jump to another topic but what bands do you think be successful as a big guest?
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #1178
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
You have a point there...not to jump to another topic but what bands do you think be successful as a big guest?
Other than the ones already mentioned, I think Orange Range was one (is the name right?)
I vaguely remember something about them in 2010. People thought/expected/believed/??? that they were going to be asked, would be there, or something like that. But it never happened.

Last edited by Access : 02-26-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #1179
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Another one were the K-On seiyuus. Every year we keep hearing AX trying to get them only to not get them at all.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #1180
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

I heard Orange Range collapsed because they wouldn't pay for the full band to fly in, but I've never had that confirmed.

The survey is laughable since it is a list only of returning acts. There's no inference of innovation or a chance to bring in anyone new. When I read it, it gives me a sense of "Here's what's available to us. What would you spend money on?"

The Miku concerts... It's possible to get another Vocaloid show, however, since the corporate sponsors aren't interested, it would have to be a lower tech show like Vocalekt Visions, and it wouldn't be a good idea to take a step backwards in the technology for such a large stage/venue.

If a good band isn't possible, is it time to focus on at least bringing in notable voice actors? We seem to have hit a period where there's a new set of them emerging into stardom and Sakura-Con is basically having a Sword Art Online bonanza of them.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #1181
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Hmm, I didn't check my e-mail but I did see a link on their Twitter page to the survey so I took it. While I would be happy to see any of the acts they listed again, they really do need to focus on some different acts (if they aren't already doing so). As much as I like Miku and would like to see her again, I'm not sure that it would work unless there were sponsors like in 2011 and only if Nokia was an option.

Don't get me started on Houkago Tea Time, I've been hoping for that possibility for a few years now but nothing doing. Pretty sure that that possibility is no more since all of the seiyuu are busy with other roles now and K-ON has pretty much faded in popularity now that the series is over and the movie has been out for awhile. But I'm getting off topic now...

I'm waiting to see who AX is able to bring over that is new to the US or otherwise a huge name, as others have said AX has been known for that.

FB: The Casual Otaku

Anime Expo 2016 cosplay plans (subject to change)

Day 0: Casual maid Maki Nishikino (Love Live)
Day 1: Mikuru Asahina/Yuki Nagato(?) (TMoHS - summer uniform)
Day 2: You Watanabe (Love Live Sunshine - school uniform)
Day 3: Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon - winter uniform)
Day 4: Mikuru Ashina or Haruhi Suzumiya (winter uniform)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #1182
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

Where's the Yoko Kanno?
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #1183
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArboACHG View Post
Where's the Yoko Kanno?
She was a last minute surprise in 2010, which I'm not sure why she was not listed as option since AX knew about her coming 2 months prior. I know if she had a concert, that would be almost as big as Miku.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1184
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
She was a last minute surprise in 2010, which I'm not sure why she was not listed as option since AX knew about her coming 2 months prior. I know if she had a concert, that would be almost as big as Miku.
It would be the only one I'd ever go to, that's for sure.
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #1185
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Don't get me started on Houkago Tea Time, I've been hoping for that possibility for a few years now but nothing doing. Pretty sure that that possibility is no more since all of the seiyuu are busy with other roles now and K-ON has pretty much faded in popularity now that the series is over and the movie has been out for awhile. But I'm getting off topic now...
To be fair, if AX were to get one of the bigger K-On girls such as Yoko Hikasa (aka Mio Akiyama), it would still create waves since the work she has done before K-On and after K-On has pretty much endured her to the anime fan community.

Getting the band as HTT is a missed opportunity, but getting some of the more popular individual voice actresses to come in for the breadth of roles they do (including K-On) would still make for quite an exciting announcement.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Expo, Pacific Media Expo, TouhouCon
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote