Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #1186
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,363
Another one were the K-On seiyuus. Every year we keep hearing AX trying to get them only to not get them at all.
__________________
Proud member of The Finest, a G.I. Joe costuming community
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the link above.
Blog
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #1187
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host
 
Freight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,746
I heard Orange Range collapsed because they wouldn't pay for the full band to fly in, but I've never had that confirmed.

The survey is laughable since it is a list only of returning acts. There's no inference of innovation or a chance to bring in anyone new. When I read it, it gives me a sense of "Here's what's available to us. What would you spend money on?"

The Miku concerts... It's possible to get another Vocaloid show, however, since the corporate sponsors aren't interested, it would have to be a lower tech show like Vocalekt Visions, and it wouldn't be a good idea to take a step backwards in the technology for such a large stage/venue.

If a good band isn't possible, is it time to focus on at least bringing in notable voice actors? We seem to have hit a period where there's a new set of them emerging into stardom and Sakura-Con is basically having a Sword Art Online bonanza of them.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #1188
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome
 
animejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 694
Hmm, I didn't check my e-mail but I did see a link on their Twitter page to the survey so I took it. While I would be happy to see any of the acts they listed again, they really do need to focus on some different acts (if they aren't already doing so). As much as I like Miku and would like to see her again, I'm not sure that it would work unless there were sponsors like in 2011 and only if Nokia was an option.

Don't get me started on Houkago Tea Time, I've been hoping for that possibility for a few years now but nothing doing. Pretty sure that that possibility is no more since all of the seiyuu are busy with other roles now and K-ON has pretty much faded in popularity now that the series is over and the movie has been out for awhile. But I'm getting off topic now...

I'm waiting to see who AX is able to bring over that is new to the US or otherwise a huge name, as others have said AX has been known for that.
__________________
2015 Cons
Anime Los Angeles
Sakura Con
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #1189
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
Where's the Yoko Kanno?
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #1190
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArboACHG View Post
Where's the Yoko Kanno?
She was a last minute surprise in 2010, which I'm not sure why she was not listed as option since AX knew about her coming 2 months prior. I know if she had a concert, that would be almost as big as Miku.
__________________
Proud member of The Finest, a G.I. Joe costuming community
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the link above.
Blog
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #1191
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
She was a last minute surprise in 2010, which I'm not sure why she was not listed as option since AX knew about her coming 2 months prior. I know if she had a concert, that would be almost as big as Miku.
It would be the only one I'd ever go to, that's for sure.
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #1192
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest
 
Hcoregamer00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Don't get me started on Houkago Tea Time, I've been hoping for that possibility for a few years now but nothing doing. Pretty sure that that possibility is no more since all of the seiyuu are busy with other roles now and K-ON has pretty much faded in popularity now that the series is over and the movie has been out for awhile. But I'm getting off topic now...
To be fair, if AX were to get one of the bigger K-On girls such as Yoko Hikasa (aka Mio Akiyama), it would still create waves since the work she has done before K-On and after K-On has pretty much endured her to the anime fan community.

Getting the band as HTT is a missed opportunity, but getting some of the more popular individual voice actresses to come in for the breadth of roles they do (including K-On) would still make for quite an exciting announcement.
__________________
Former SPJA Board/Treasurer/Interim CFO (AX Staff 8 years)
Official PMX and BlasterCON Photographer, APCA Board Director, PMX Marketing, Otakon Vegas Treasurer

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #1193
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,174
Just a quick heads ups...


1. Europe's largest anime con, Japan Expo is expanding to the USA, and will hold it's first U.S. anime con on August 23-25, 2013 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Northern California. Japan Expo is a European anime convention that is even bigger than North America's biggest anime con, Anime Expo. In 2012, Japan Expo's attendance numbers in Paris, France was 208,000. (Which exceeded even the San Diego Comic Con.)

Japan Expo had just released their website for 2013:

http://www.japan-expo.org/index.php




2. North America's 2nd biggest anime con, Otakon is expanding with a new convention in Las Vegas. The con will be held on January 3-5, 2014 at the Planet Hollywood resort in the heart of the Las Vegas strip.


Here is the link for Otakon Vegas:

http://otakonvegas.com/




With 2 of the biggest anime cons in the world jumping into the California & Las Vegas con market, they may very well give AX a serious run for their money. Also unlike AX, where it is seriously cutting back due to it's massive debt problems, these two cons are going in full swing with a big budget into the convention market.

The AX CEO Marc Perez, had better seriously wake up & get his act together, if he wants to AX to remain competitive in the con market. (Gone are the days when AX was the only game in town, and you can just rely on your brand name alone.) With these 2 big cons jumping into the same market as AX, AX may not remain as the biggest anime con in North America within the next few years.

The last thing that Marc Perez or "El Presidente" want to do in 2013, is to be absent again at AX, like he did at AX 2012. (Or have another "Bad jokes by the CEO" panel at AX.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 03-04-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1194
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,070
All I can say is, it's about time. We need more cons here, don't have enough.

Maybe someday, one of these cons (or another) will grow to larger than AX.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #1195
El_Duque
miyoshi82
 
El_Duque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,363
AX did it when they had their "once in a lifetime" show in Tokyo and New York. Let's see how these two cons do in different territory.
__________________
Proud member of The Finest, a G.I. Joe costuming community
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the link above.
Blog
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #1196
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host
 
Freight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,746
Well, Otakon Vegas is an arm of Otakon, but it's not with a huge budget. It will start as a smaller convention. However, it does have instant name recognition.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #1197
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome
 
animejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 694
If Marc Perez is paying attention (and he probably isn't), it would be a good idea to take notice of the new conventions springing up. I'll be interested to see how both cons do in their first years...no doubt both have instant name recognition.
__________________
2015 Cons
Anime Los Angeles
Sakura Con
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #1198
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Just a quick heads ups...


1. Europe's largest anime con, Japan Expo is expanding to the USA, and will hold it's first U.S. anime con on August 23-25, 2013 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Northern California. Japan Expo is a European anime convention that is even bigger than North America's biggest anime con, Anime Expo. In 2012, Japan Expo's attendance numbers in Paris, France was 208,000. (Which exceeded even the San Diego Comic Con.)

Japan Expo had just released their website for 2013:

http://www.japan-expo.org/index.php



2. North America's 2nd biggest anime con, Otakon is expanding with a new convention in Las Vegas. The con will be held on January 3-5, 2014 at the Planet Hollywood resort in the heart of the Las Vegas strip.


Here is the link for Otakon Vegas:

http://otakonvegas.com/




With 2 of the biggest anime cons in the world jumping into the California & Las Vegas con market, they may very well give AX a serious run for their money. Also unlike AX, where it is seriously cutting back due to it's massive debt problems, these two cons are going in full swing with a big budget into the convention market.

The AX CEO Marc Perez, had better seriously wake up & get his act together, if he wants to AX to remain competitive in the con market. (Gone are the days when AX was the only game in town, and you can just rely on your brand name alone.) With these 2 big cons jumping into the same market as AX, AX may not remain as the biggest anime con in North America within the next few years.

The last thing that Marc Perez or "El Presidente" want to do in 2013, is to be absent again at AX, like he did at AX 2012. (Or have another "Bad jokes by the CEO" panel at AX.)

Do you think this is one of the Reasons that (Anime Expo) is now part of (Anime Conji)? it is their way of Expanding a little bit as well? event though they did not Start up a Whole new Con - in a way anime Conji is STILL a very new Con and has A LOT of room for Growing and Expanding in ways of (Fashion/Music/other Events)???


I would like to attend Otakon Vegas next year to check it out (4 hours from me) although it is the weekend before ALA (does not pose any problems for ALA) they have Very Loyal Attendee's so should not hurt their attendance at all.

As for Japan Expo USA - I would LOVE to attend this year - but I don't like Planes so flying is out, also I don't think my car in the state it is in (Waterpump-Timing belt) is in the mood for a 7 half hour drive.... - So i am trying to get my good friend to drive us up there (I pay for Hotel) but he hates conventions (BLAH)


I think it's awesome for the people in San Fran to have Japan Expo USA - with them losing (Wondercon) for 2 years now and (Yaoi Con) they Deserve to have Japan Expo USA!

Also as for Las Vegas they know have (Otakon Vegas, Animegacon & Anime Vegas)!
__________________
Attended : ALA 2014 *7th Year* *4th Year Staff* -- Gallifrey One 2014 *1st Year Staff*
Anime Conji 2014 *2nd Year* *2nd Year Fan Table* -- AX 2014 *7th Year Attendee*
Attending : SDCC 2014 *6th Year Attendee*
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*

Last edited by sicdedman : 03-05-2013 at 08:06 AM.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #1199
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
Do you think this is one of the Reasons that (Anime Expo) is now part of (Anime Conji)? it is their way of Expanding a little bit as well? event though they did not Start up a Whole new Con - in a way anime Conji is STILL a very new Con and has A LOT of room for Growing and Expanding in ways of (Fashion/Music/other Events)???
Anime Conji was a special case, really more of a rare exception than the rule.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #1200
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks
 
Resident-chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,444
I don't know if I have asked about this topic here yet, but what are the rules with animals? More specifically birds?


((Ok this posted like three times how the fuck do i delete them."
__________________
⋆The official Anime Expo gathering Hostess!⋆
Mako- Kill La Kill- 0%
Pyrrha Nikos- BATTLE- RWBY- 20%
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.