Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Naus

Fitting Artifact

Hi
I'm doing MtF cosplay and have some issues with my newly bought costume.
To be more exact it's the vest that look quite horrible.

From the front and from the back it look ok. But in profile the garment swings out so to speak, take a look at the picture..

What's wrong and how do I fix it?
Oshiete itadakemasenka?

Last edited by Naus : 02-28-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: politednessness
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

It's a little hard to figure out the cause, but I'll take my best guess....

You say it's for MtF cosplay... So does that mean the vest is meant to accommodate breasts and you're lacking them? Have you tried padding your chest or wearing fake breasts under the vest?

What might be going on is that a lack of breasts causes the front to collapse so the back swings away from your body. Padding your chest may help the garment pull into place like it's supposed to. Try that first and see what it does.

If that does not help, then you will have to do a lot of work on the back of the vest to make it fit properly. It's slightly too wide for your back and it's not tailored properly to the back of your waist. You'll need to get a friend to help. Have them pin out the excess fabric until it fits right, and then you'll have to re-sew the seams in the back to remove the excess.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Naus

Thank you for taking your time!

I tried varius ammounts of padding on my chest/hips and it help. But it's still a mess I'm afriad.
It's like the garment is made for a person with small breasts and a big rear end/wide hips (or something).

Even if I could add volume underneath to fit the vest I don't want to distort my figure to such a large extent.

The next step (I guess) is as you suggest to ask a friend that know the drill to have look.
For me that would translate into a tailor... lol
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Yeah, you'll need to do a lot of work in the back to make it fit you. It sounds like you might just have a very small back waist. Sometimes this is called a "protruding seat" - in other words, your butt sticks out. =P I can sympathize, because I have that problem too. I always have to take things in at the back of the waist because my posture is terrible.

When you have someone to help fit it for you, make sure you're wearing any chest padding you plan to wear with the costume later. The chest padding does change how the vest fits you.

Unread 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, I can see the problem -it's actually not tailored well in the back. The back darts need to be tailored in to curve to fit YOUR figure. If that means taking it to a tailor...well, that's better than having it fit unpleasantly I suppose. Padded or not, it's not fitting in the back and the easy solution is getting a pro to take in the center back seam and back darts. If you tell them you want it more form-fitting, they should get the gist.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Naus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
- in other words, your butt sticks out.
lol!
You are correct.

In general I don't use padding for the chest, just my hips. I think it balance my figure better than adding volume at the chest. But I should still have the padding on my hips, correct?

I'm currently a student 7000 km from home so my only realistic option is to ask a tailor to fix it.
It will probably be a bit expensive, and I need to find a good place that can do it. That aside I'm releaved to hear it's not a dead end.

Thank you for the advice 'CapsuleCorp' and 'Evil Bishounen', when I get it sorted out by whatever means I'll make sure to post photos.
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
In general I don't use padding for the chest, just my hips. I think it balance my figure better than adding volume at the chest. But I should still have the padding on my hips, correct?
You should do both. It looks very unbalanced and unconvincing if you do absolutely nothing with your chest to create the appearance of breasts. Also, if you're buying female clothing for your crossplays, it will fit much better with chest padding because those clothes are designed to accommodate boobs.

Unread 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Naus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
You should do both. It looks very unbalanced and unconvincing if you do absolutely nothing with your chest to create the appearance of breasts. Also, if you're buying female clothing for your crossplays, it will fit much better with chest padding because those clothes are designed to accommodate boobs.
'Was knocked off my feet by a cold the other day..

Anyyyway,
^Yes that is true, but I'm really uncomfortable walking around with such a 'girly feature'.
It might also be coupled with the fact that I like girls that don't have a lot going on on their upper body. To me the most (atractive) part is the waist area and legs. XD
To much junk (sorry) around the chest is not really atractive on a woman if you ask me.

I'm quite happy just to be a guy wearing girls clothes. This doesn't mean I don't take any measures to at least try look decent in them.
I'm glad your giving me advice though, I really am.

Finding someone that can help me with this garment is going to be soo awkward. Maybe I should ask my teacher, he did say he wanted do dress in pretty clothes like girls once in a while (true story). When I think about it most of the peaople I'v meet are quite cool with crossplay. But taking this vest to the tailor, they will think I'm crazy

This thread is derailing,
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Naus

Small update.
Took the vest to a small cosplay store not far from where I live.
They (she) did something with the back of the vest. Next week ell see how it turned out.

I can't speak the language yet so I hope she could see what need to be done.
It will cost me 3000 yen, not exactly cheap but not really expensive eather.