Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Fire Emblem

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #3841
Angii
Slifer Spaz

Lon'qu's tunic looks like it's a modified kimono/yukata (since he doesn't wear a haori and it's short sleeve, either pattern would work really) with a modified obi to me, which would probably be the best way to go about making it. You'll probably have to cheat the obi, however, since there's no visible tie on it (I'd recommend hiding a snap underneath the decoration he has hanging over the obi). I'd offer up some tutorials, but it seems all the good ones I've used in the past are gone and all that's left are ones on drawing kimono/yukata, which isn't what we want.

I know that certain pattern companies have patterns for it though, so I'd hunt around a little for those as a starting place. You're probably going to be best off appliqueing the designs into the collar part, which is the only part of the kimono pattern you might want to put an addendum into to make his raised collar. (Which, you could also sew in separately if you have a pattern piece from like, a jacket. All you'd have to do is round out the corners.)
Angii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #3842
EndThisRapture
Needs a duel disk!

So I've decided to go through and start on Lucina first! I had a question, I don't know if I'm better off on another part of the forums but, does anyone know what can be done/used for the almost cable knit look to her under garments?

WIP

San - [Princess Mononoke]
Princess Zelda [LoZ: Twilight Princess]

EndThisRapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3843
Angii
Slifer Spaz

I hadn't thought of it looking like a knit fabric, but I was going to sew small, I guess they could be considered darts, into the body suit I was making for it. Given, that's probably not the best method of going about them, but it was all I could come up with to do. You could probably try searching around for a knit fabric similar, but with how far apart they're spaced, I don't think there'd be any fabric like it.
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #3844
Phavorianne
mutant Favonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndThisRapture View Post
So I've decided to go through and start on Lucina first! I had a question, I don't know if I'm better off on another part of the forums but, does anyone know what can be done/used for the almost cable knit look to her under garments?
I think it really depends upon your interpretation of the outfit. Literally translated, the fabric has a very fine-weave sheen to it, so it's not a knit. The styling of her undergarments matches the seamlines on her boots. For that interpretation, I would just sew panels of fabric or put tucks on the inside of the fabric, as Angii suggested.

But you could design a more realistic interpretation of the outfit in which I think rib knit undergarments are very appropriate. I know from personal experience, though, that such a rib knit is very difficult to find and tedious to make.
Phavorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #3845
ClockworkKey

Seconding all the comments on the masked Lucinda - it came out perfectly, especially the armor (what's it made from, craft foam?) - so great work!

Gonna do it old school and start working on a Nino cosplay for Otakon. Currently trying to figure out fabric choices, especially for vest/corset thing. (Suggestions?)
ClockworkKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #3846
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

For Nino's vest I would use polished cotton. I would line it but not with any thing really heavy. You could put lightweight boning in the vertical trim to shape it. It's weird because it looks strong but it's not really a corset. For the lighter trim I would make bias tape out of a different shade of cotton.

Bad news...I was taking Elincia's shirt in to fit me better and I wasn't being careful with me scissors when I cut the new seam so I cut a giant hole in it. I almost cried but it was fixable. So no worries other than the bump I have on my head from banging it on the table. Also, I bought the metal for Lissa's cage skirt.
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #3847
ClockworkKey

Quote:
or Nino's vest I would use polished cotton. I would line it but not with any thing really heavy. You could put lightweight boning in the vertical trim to shape it. It's weird because it looks strong but it's not really a corset. For the lighter trim I would make bias tape out of a different shade of cotton.
The suggestion is much appreciated, thanks! Split on whither to try the boning method (of which I have no experience doing) or just making it tightly fitted around the waist/bust.

Also good luck with Lissa's skirt cage, yikes - how are you going to manage making it with metal and not outrageously heavy?
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #3848
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

No problem. The aluminum is really light weight. It'll be really awkward to wear but totally worth it. :P
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #3849
ClockworkKey

Oh nice - good luck with it. Would love to see some in progress shots of the skirt too.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #3850
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

does anyone happen to have a clear picture of Sumia's back and side?? mostly trying to figure out her skirt, but i'll take anything! thanks!

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #3851
Angii
Slifer Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
does anyone happen to have a clear picture of Sumia's back and side?? mostly trying to figure out her skirt, but i'll take anything! thanks!
I don't have anything for Sumia's side, but the art book that came with the preorders have some back shots of Sumia's outfit.
http://i1.minus.com/iEdvsQhbo5jhJ.JPG

In other news, got Lucina's top and cape mostly done tonight. Going out to buy materials for Falchion tomorrow!
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #3852
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

thanks

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #3853
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

I'm planning on starting it next weekend. I'll post a pic of it as soon as I'm done.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #3854
laoni

Hey guys! For Awakening cosplays, I might have something that can help. Over in Japan, they released a big concept art + support conversation book called Knights of Iris. Some of art made it in the Gamestop art book, but a lot didn't

http://s1322.beta.photobucket.com/us...yramp/library/

I've scanned up all of the character, unit, weapon, and location concept art (Except for the few pages that had already been scanned by other people/were released as promotional images)

Of specific interest to a few of you,

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...ps44af10eb.jpg
^Lucina, also shows how her hair works (It's cut into two layers, Marth layer on top, long on the bottom, when she's got the mask on, she tucks the long part into the back of her collar/coat)

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...pse059d25b.jpg
^Sumia (And sort of by extension, Cordelia, as other than their armour detailing + dress colouring, it's the same outfit)

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...psfe6a95db.jpg
^The Avatar, in both male and female variations, in their Tactician outfit

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...psf65aa380.jpg
^Chrom

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4117699f.jpg
^Chrom in his Great Lord getup, and Avatar in their Grandmaster getup, again, with both genders
laoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #3855
ssoldiersaturn
Princess of Saturn

Thank you very much laoni!! Those will be very helpful indeed!!
ssoldiersaturn is offline   Reply With Quote