Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I almost had a photographer not show up for me the other day (he was an hour late).
And even though I'm the one who was paying him, I can still understand your frustration!

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
mistyautumn
Misty Autumn

I always try to be early as both a cosplayer and a photographer, but I have seen bad behavior on both sides of photoshoots that result in wasting other people's time.

I've been blown off by cosplayers who asked me to shoot them with zero contact, but on the other side of the lens I used to know a person who booked quite a few shoots of other cosplayers at a con then blew them all off because she didn't feel like it (and made excuses to the cosplayers after the con was over). I've also had a photographer ask me to wait around for a half hour so she could come back after another shoot and take pictures of my costume. She did come back and we did shoot, then she never posted any photos and ignored me when I contacted her after six months to ask if they just hadn't been any good (I wanted some kind of closure on it, you know?).

So... yeah. Both sides need to respect other people's time. :/

You've Got Character: Level 100 - A Cosplay Photography Project
Convention Reports
Korra Nation
mistyautumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
I almost had a photographer not show up for me the other day (he was an hour late).
And even though I'm the one who was paying him, I can still understand your frustration!
IMO that's ridiculous. If you can't show up on time, you shouldn't be taking people's money. It drives me nuts that people charge for shoots and then can't even take them seriously.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
tmkad888
I'm Barret Wallace @#$%&!

Many cancellations at cons happen I think due to cosplayers forgetting about the shoot because they are enjoying cons and they start running late and forget to call and cancel. ANd then realize they forgot and contact the photographer later. I keep a list so I know who not to offer shoots to later if its a free shoot.
tmkad888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
g00dapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Archer View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't book shoots. I've had to deal with cosplayers who book way too many shoots back-to-back and can't get done in time, or who run off to shoot with some other photog they ran into instead of me, or whatever. Since most of my con friends are cosplayers, I see it a ton from the other side, too, and it tends to be problematic on both sides of the situation.
Yup! Decided not to do booked shoots anymore. I just catch cosplayers as they walk by

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Hcoregamer00
Photographer/Manga Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dapple View Post
Yup! Decided not to do booked shoots anymore. I just catch cosplayers as they walk by
I noticed more and more cosplay photographers doing this.

I too have started to move away from official shoots. While I still schedule shoots with my more popular friends, I pretty much do shoots if I take photos of a cosplayer who has 15 minutes of free time.

Less stress and more chances to make friends, I like it

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Wondercon Anaheim, FanimeCon, Ninja Con, Anime Expo.
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
thebrick
www.jyiphoto.com

People don't show up because they don't respect you or your time. There's really no incentive to them putting off a friend to meet you for an appointment. This is why I don't shoot for free unless I want stuff for my portfolio.

I charge and require a deposit. I've never had a no-show in my entire career.