Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

hallway contest

Hey guys! I was just wondering how this hallway contest stuff worked. So if anyone's ever entered, I'd like to know what's involved. What kind of questions (if any) do they ask you, how does judging work? When do you find out the winners... Basically any information you guys have would be awesome. I've never entered any of my costumes in a contest like this before, could be fun! Thanks! =^.^=

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Emrys

Hallway judging is open Friday and part of Saturday. They are judging based on category and skill level, and there are also categories like kids and group and closet cosplay. Basically if you made most of it yourself you qualify for hall judging.

Here's how they categorized hall judging last year: http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php...-contest-2012/

You fill out an entry form and fill out your name, phone number (they call you on Saturday afternoon if you won an award), and important info you want them to know about your costume. It also helps if you bring reference photos of your character/version and some progress photos. They'll talk to you for about ten minutes or so and ask questions about how you made it.

I was nervous my first time entering but it's a very relaxed setting, though sometimes they are pressed for time and have to rush through interviews. It's a great first step to get a feel for competitions.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

that sounds pretty cool what are the awards they give is it like a ribbon or something? if i can finish my costume in time i think i might totally enter and give it a shot!

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Emrys

I think ACEN's hall cosplay awards are a glass trophy with the year and award title on it. The masquerade has actual prizes for the top slots, and I guess the trophies.

Hall cosplay is nice because you can just drop by during the con for judging. The Masquerade usually fills up early (there's a prereg for it) and you need to know what costume you are entering ahead of time.

(I know you weren't asking about the Masq but it helps to know a little about it so you can tell if someone is talking about the Masquerade or hall judging. It can get a little confusing.)
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
00Sexy

Thanks for the info.
00Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

eep! yes, thank you! sorry i got completely sidetracked and forgot to come back to this thread! anyway, back to work on my cosplay! acen is next week and i'm not even halfway done with my outfit!! lol

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%