Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Sony Expected to Reveal PS4 at Feb. 20th Event

So yeah, not confirmed yet, but Sony is expected to reveal the PlayStation 4 at a livestreamed event held in NYC this Wednesday, Feb. 20.

So yeah, big stuff.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Not a bad showing, but nothing to get me to buy it day 1. Nintendo has to be a tad worried at this point though. January Wii U sales are terrible, and with both the PS4 the Next Box dropping this year (most likely), the big Nintendo may find itself in a bit of trouble come 2014.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Agreed. Color me interested. How soon I get one will depend on price and games. If Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 are both PS4, then I'm sold. Diablo 3 is a plus (and interesting development) but I wouldn't get it just for that since apparently it will also be released for PS3. Nice that it will have built in capture. Also sounds like you'll be able to rent games from the console which would be a big plus for me. Touch pad on the controller? Eh, not impressed until I see if it does anything useful rather than just gimmicky.

Last edited by The Hag : 02-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Agreed. Color me interested. How soon I get one will depend on price and games. If Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 are both PS4, then I'm sold. Diablo 3 is a plus (and interesting development) but I wouldn't get it just for that since apparently it will also be released for PS3. Nice that it will have built in capture. Also sounds like you'll be able to rent games from the console which would be a big plus for me. Touch pad on the controller? Eh, not impressed until I see if it does anything useful rather than just gimmicky.
Dark Sould 2 was confirmed for 360/PS3, which is my problem with the PS4. It's launching this holiday season, and how many of the their non-exclusive launch titles are just going to be slightly better looking ports of games I can buy for the PC/modern consoles probably cheaper.

And man the Diablo 3 announcement can go screw off. Blizzard is going to charge $60 for something I imagine will be stripped down compared to the PC version in all likeliness, which I could probably pick up for like $30-$40 right now if I wanted to. NOPE,JPG.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Dark Sould 2 was confirmed for 360/PS3, which is my problem with the PS4. It's launching this holiday season, and how many of the their non-exclusive launch titles are just going to be slightly better looking ports of games I can buy for the PC/modern consoles probably cheaper.

And man the Diablo 3 announcement can go screw off. Blizzard is going to charge $60 for something I imagine will be stripped down compared to the PC version in all likeliness, which I could probably pick up for like $30-$40 right now if I wanted to. NOPE,JPG.
I always take "confirmed" with a grain of salt. I would be somewhat surprised if DS was on the PS4 but not completely shocked. I would be somewhat surprised but not shocked if Witcher 3 was on the PS3.

As someone who rarely buys anything on Day 1, I'm not going to get worked up about launch titles. If there's not enough games for me to justify buying the system, then I don't buy it. Not a problem.

I would love to have a gaming PC, but I don't. If the price/games-that-I-want-to-play for the PS4 make more sense than the price/games-that-I-want-to-play for a new PC (which would have to meet non-gaming criteria as well) I'll go for the PS4 rather than a new PC. If that's the case, then I will be happy that formerly PC exclusives like Diablo and Witcher will be available to me. If I don't want to pay $60, I'll wait for the price to come down. It's not a big deal. No one's going to force me, or you, to buy something if we don't think it's worth the money.
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Like you, Hag, I am interested as well, but yes, price and games are going to be a big factor. I could give a crap about Killzone or DriveClub, I like Infamous but not enough to buy a system for, and the other stuff (except Deep Down and The Witness) really didn't interest me. 8GB of RAM, on the other hand, will make this thing a monster in the future, and as soon as devs get behind that, I'll be really excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Not a bad showing, but nothing to get me to buy it day 1. Nintendo has to be a tad worried at this point though. January Wii U sales are terrible, and with both the PS4 the Next Box dropping this year (most likely), the big Nintendo may find itself in a bit of trouble come 2014.
Y'know, just like every year in the past Nintendo has been in trouble and risen up. I'll agree things look bleak now, but all Nintendo needs is some AAA first party shit and they will be just fine.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Codename Otacon
BONK!

Here the replay of the Sony event if anyone missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZ...e_gdata_player

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Medic(Fem! The Uncivil Servant)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

I'll probably wait until Destiny drops before I get a PS4.

Then again, depending on the hype as we get closer to release, I might buy into it at launch.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

So far only inFamous has me interested in the PS4 at the moment.

And based on some of the information I've read, I'm actually curious about this live streaming feature. Watching a friend play a game and chatting with them sounds fun. You can do stuff like give your friend some tips on how to beat a certain level or something while you eat dinner! It would be especially useful if a friend is playing a game that you don't have, and you want to preview it before buying it. Joining them mid-game also sounds pretty convenient.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I'll do what I always do, wait a couple years and see if it's worth it then.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
And based on some of the information I've read, I'm actually curious about this live streaming feature. Watching a friend play a game and chatting with them sounds fun. You can do stuff like give your friend some tips on how to beat a certain level or something while you eat dinner! It would be especially useful if a friend is playing a game that you don't have, and you want to preview it before buying it. Joining them mid-game also sounds pretty convenient.
I can also see a down side to all that! XD Sometimes I have to tell my husband and son, "SHUT UP ALREADY! I want to figure this out myself!"

I like the idea of built in capture. It's not like I'm going to start a YouTube channel or anything, but sometimes nutty stuff happens when I play and it would be fun to be able to send clips to the few people who would care. And I'll admit - it would be nice to have documentation of some of my finest gaming moments (which no one expect me cares about!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
I'll do what I always do, wait a couple years and see if it's worth it then.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

Quote:
I can also see a down side to all that! XD Sometimes I have to tell my husband and son, "SHUT UP ALREADY! I want to figure this out myself!"

I like the idea of built in capture. It's not like I'm going to start a YouTube channel or anything, but sometimes nutty stuff happens when I play and it would be fun to be able to send clips to the few people who would care. And I'll admit - it would be nice to have documentation of some of my finest gaming moments (which no one expect me cares about!)
The other things I like are the pre-loading of games. (your friends purchase game-x, so the system downloads game-x in the background, so that if you decide to purchase it, its already on your HDD), and the linear installs so you can start playing a game as its installing/downloading. I expect to see those features on the next Xbox as well.

Heck, marathon sessions take a whole new meaning, when you can trade-off gameplay with someone else via streaming.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
True! Let's hope there's a mute feature then! But seriously though, if that person really is your friend, then they will keep quiet for you to figure it out yourself if you ask them to.

Quote:
I like that idea as well. I screenshot a lot of things on my Vita, so I know I'd do that a lot on a home console as well. Plus, this feature will help if there will be a few cutscenes that I'll want to re-watch again and again.

Last edited by UNIT0918 : 02-22-2013 at 10:31 PM.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Kildread
I can fix it!

Built-in capture is the most interesting feature to me. Other than that, all the social networking options are lost on me.

Game lineup looks nice, to see what is actually available at launch. I'll get it once there's at least a major title out for it that I want.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote