Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo
 
Quantum9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,740
Sony Expected to Reveal PS4 at Feb. 20th Event

So yeah, not confirmed yet, but Sony is expected to reveal the PlayStation 4 at a livestreamed event held in NYC this Wednesday, Feb. 20.

So yeah, big stuff.
__________________
Cosplay.com's resident random nice guy!
BREAK THE LIMITS
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6938/Shigg...new_edited.jpg
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,131
Not a bad showing, but nothing to get me to buy it day 1. Nintendo has to be a tad worried at this point though. January Wii U sales are terrible, and with both the PS4 the Next Box dropping this year (most likely), the big Nintendo may find itself in a bit of trouble come 2014.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Agreed. Color me interested. How soon I get one will depend on price and games. If Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 are both PS4, then I'm sold. Diablo 3 is a plus (and interesting development) but I wouldn't get it just for that since apparently it will also be released for PS3. Nice that it will have built in capture. Also sounds like you'll be able to rent games from the console which would be a big plus for me. Touch pad on the controller? Eh, not impressed until I see if it does anything useful rather than just gimmicky.

Last edited by The Hag : 02-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Agreed. Color me interested. How soon I get one will depend on price and games. If Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 are both PS4, then I'm sold. Diablo 3 is a plus (and interesting development) but I wouldn't get it just for that since apparently it will also be released for PS3. Nice that it will have built in capture. Also sounds like you'll be able to rent games from the console which would be a big plus for me. Touch pad on the controller? Eh, not impressed until I see if it does anything useful rather than just gimmicky.
Dark Sould 2 was confirmed for 360/PS3, which is my problem with the PS4. It's launching this holiday season, and how many of the their non-exclusive launch titles are just going to be slightly better looking ports of games I can buy for the PC/modern consoles probably cheaper.

And man the Diablo 3 announcement can go screw off. Blizzard is going to charge $60 for something I imagine will be stripped down compared to the PC version in all likeliness, which I could probably pick up for like $30-$40 right now if I wanted to. NOPE,JPG.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Dark Sould 2 was confirmed for 360/PS3, which is my problem with the PS4. It's launching this holiday season, and how many of the their non-exclusive launch titles are just going to be slightly better looking ports of games I can buy for the PC/modern consoles probably cheaper.

And man the Diablo 3 announcement can go screw off. Blizzard is going to charge $60 for something I imagine will be stripped down compared to the PC version in all likeliness, which I could probably pick up for like $30-$40 right now if I wanted to. NOPE,JPG.
I always take "confirmed" with a grain of salt. I would be somewhat surprised if DS was on the PS4 but not completely shocked. I would be somewhat surprised but not shocked if Witcher 3 was on the PS3.

As someone who rarely buys anything on Day 1, I'm not going to get worked up about launch titles. If there's not enough games for me to justify buying the system, then I don't buy it. Not a problem.

I would love to have a gaming PC, but I don't. If the price/games-that-I-want-to-play for the PS4 make more sense than the price/games-that-I-want-to-play for a new PC (which would have to meet non-gaming criteria as well) I'll go for the PS4 rather than a new PC. If that's the case, then I will be happy that formerly PC exclusives like Diablo and Witcher will be available to me. If I don't want to pay $60, I'll wait for the price to come down. It's not a big deal. No one's going to force me, or you, to buy something if we don't think it's worth the money.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo
 
Quantum9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,740
Like you, Hag, I am interested as well, but yes, price and games are going to be a big factor. I could give a crap about Killzone or DriveClub, I like Infamous but not enough to buy a system for, and the other stuff (except Deep Down and The Witness) really didn't interest me. 8GB of RAM, on the other hand, will make this thing a monster in the future, and as soon as devs get behind that, I'll be really excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Not a bad showing, but nothing to get me to buy it day 1. Nintendo has to be a tad worried at this point though. January Wii U sales are terrible, and with both the PS4 the Next Box dropping this year (most likely), the big Nintendo may find itself in a bit of trouble come 2014.
Y'know, just like every year in the past Nintendo has been in trouble and risen up. I'll agree things look bleak now, but all Nintendo needs is some AAA first party shit and they will be just fine.
__________________
Cosplay.com's resident random nice guy!
BREAK THE LIMITS
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6938/Shigg...new_edited.jpg
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Codename Otacon
BONK!
 
Codename Otacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,291
Here the replay of the Sony event if anyone missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZ...e_gdata_player
__________________
...Oh, for crying out loud! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Medic(Fem! The Uncivil Servant)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter
 
Pliskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,549
I'll probably wait until Destiny drops before I get a PS4.

Then again, depending on the hype as we get closer to release, I might buy into it at launch.
__________________
Attending:
Arisia 2012
PAX East 2012/Anime Boston 2012
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self
 
UNIT0918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 878
So far only inFamous has me interested in the PS4 at the moment.

And based on some of the information I've read, I'm actually curious about this live streaming feature. Watching a friend play a game and chatting with them sounds fun. You can do stuff like give your friend some tips on how to beat a certain level or something while you eat dinner! It would be especially useful if a friend is playing a game that you don't have, and you want to preview it before buying it. Joining them mid-game also sounds pretty convenient.
__________________
http://backloggery.com/unit0918
PlayStation Network ID: UNIT0918
Xbox Live Gamertag: UNIT 0918
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry
 
Arc_The_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,567
I'll do what I always do, wait a couple years and see if it's worth it then.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
And based on some of the information I've read, I'm actually curious about this live streaming feature. Watching a friend play a game and chatting with them sounds fun. You can do stuff like give your friend some tips on how to beat a certain level or something while you eat dinner! It would be especially useful if a friend is playing a game that you don't have, and you want to preview it before buying it. Joining them mid-game also sounds pretty convenient.
I can also see a down side to all that! XD Sometimes I have to tell my husband and son, "SHUT UP ALREADY! I want to figure this out myself!"

I like the idea of built in capture. It's not like I'm going to start a YouTube channel or anything, but sometimes nutty stuff happens when I play and it would be fun to be able to send clips to the few people who would care. And I'll admit - it would be nice to have documentation of some of my finest gaming moments (which no one expect me cares about!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
I'll do what I always do, wait a couple years and see if it's worth it then.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter
 
Pliskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I can also see a down side to all that! XD Sometimes I have to tell my husband and son, "SHUT UP ALREADY! I want to figure this out myself!"

I like the idea of built in capture. It's not like I'm going to start a YouTube channel or anything, but sometimes nutty stuff happens when I play and it would be fun to be able to send clips to the few people who would care. And I'll admit - it would be nice to have documentation of some of my finest gaming moments (which no one expect me cares about!)
The other things I like are the pre-loading of games. (your friends purchase game-x, so the system downloads game-x in the background, so that if you decide to purchase it, its already on your HDD), and the linear installs so you can start playing a game as its installing/downloading. I expect to see those features on the next Xbox as well.

Heck, marathon sessions take a whole new meaning, when you can trade-off gameplay with someone else via streaming.
__________________
Attending:
Arisia 2012
PAX East 2012/Anime Boston 2012
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self
 
UNIT0918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I can also see a down side to all that! XD Sometimes I have to tell my husband and son, "SHUT UP ALREADY! I want to figure this out myself!"
True! Let's hope there's a mute feature then! But seriously though, if that person really is your friend, then they will keep quiet for you to figure it out yourself if you ask them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I like the idea of built in capture. It's not like I'm going to start a YouTube channel or anything, but sometimes nutty stuff happens when I play and it would be fun to be able to send clips to the few people who would care. And I'll admit - it would be nice to have documentation of some of my finest gaming moments (which no one expect me cares about!)
I like that idea as well. I screenshot a lot of things on my Vita, so I know I'd do that a lot on a home console as well. Plus, this feature will help if there will be a few cutscenes that I'll want to re-watch again and again.
__________________
http://backloggery.com/unit0918
PlayStation Network ID: UNIT0918
Xbox Live Gamertag: UNIT 0918

Last edited by UNIT0918 : 02-22-2013 at 10:31 PM.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Kildread
I can fix it!
 
Kildread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,331
Built-in capture is the most interesting feature to me. Other than that, all the social networking options are lost on me.

Game lineup looks nice, to see what is actually available at launch. I'll get it once there's at least a major title out for it that I want.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.