Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Tias

Advice on eating less & toned body?

I'm 23 years old
184 cm tall / 6,04 feet
87 kg / 191 lb

What my dilemma is and let me be honest, I enjoy food = /
Not to the point I eat 24/7 or that I'm obese but I find myself eating often, sometimes just because i'm bored and that's bad. I'm lucky that I have a fast/high metabolism so my body seems to burn most of it but any ideas on what a good healthy snack would be that is low on fat? Any specific vegetable? =I

Another problem Is that my parents are Turkish so the food that my mom makes is, if you ask me kind of fatty sometimes. Sometimes I'm so picky and don't eat anything during the day and end up hungry late at night and eat something before going to bed ( also very bad I know )

As for getting a toned body ( this is only if i can get the diet/eating part right ).
Isn't it just things like running and burning calories? ( holy shit this sounds ignorant somehow ). I want to lose some weight and get a toned body as that would help me a lot with cosplaying characters.

Last edited by Tias : 02-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Tias is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tias View Post
I'm 23 years old
184 cm tall / 6,04 feet
87 kg / 191 lb

What my dilemma is and let me be honest, I enjoy food = /
Not to the point I eat 24/7 or that I'm obese but I find myself eating often, sometimes just because i'm bored and that's bad. I'm lucky that I have a fast/high metabolism so my body seems to burn most of it but any ideas on what a good healthy snack would be that is low on fat? Any specific vegetable? =I

Another problem Is that my parents are Turkish so the food that my mom makes is, if you ask me kind of fatty sometimes. Sometimes I'm so picky and don't eat anything during the day and end up hungry late at night and eat something before going to bed ( also very bad I know )

As for getting a toned body ( this is only if i can get the diet/eating part right ).
Isn't it just things like running and burning calories? ( holy shit this sounds ignorant somehow ). I want to lose some weight and get a toned body as that would help me a lot with cosplaying characters.
Fat isn't really an issue. The easiest way to cut down on calorie intake is to avoid simple carbs (white bread, white rice etc.)

As for toning, its an arbitrary term. You can lose fat or gain muscle (and if you are a complete noob, a little of both). If you simply lose weight without gaining muscle, you will still look kind of flabby, just skinnier and flabby. Do some sort of weight training, even if its just bodyweight.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Just like Arbite said, cutting back food to get a toned body won't work out. Even if it does, it will be the "no exercise body" where your body is just fat dangling everywhere. Unless you mean become really skinny to the point where the fake abs show because you are too skinny.

The most effective and quick way to form abs is by doing crunching.
This exercise focuses on the upper rectus abdominis with is basically your abs.
Here are pictures to properly carry out the routine.

1) http://dbscthumb.phinf.naver.net/057...jpg?type=m1500
Lay on the floor; bend your knee; make sure to secure your feet to the ground.

2)
http://dbscthumb.phinf.naver.net/057...jpg?type=m1500
Place both your hands on your ear giving pressure to your abs and lift your head a little.

3)
http://dbscthumb.phinf.naver.net/057...jpg?type=m1500
Bend your back creating an arch so that your shoulders are about 10cm off the ground. This way, you will feel the burn in your upper ab.

4) http://dbscthumb.phinf.naver.net/057...jpg?type=m1500
As you feel the burn, slowly return to your original position. Make sure not to let your head touch the ground.

Repeat, feeling the burn.

This is one of the easier ab related exercise other than sit up. The hardest is the Side Crunch. It's everywhere online.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Somsai
Guyver 01

I don't want to get too much in to detail so that you can understand easier.

-Drink a glass of water with each meal
-Exercise 30 min+ a day at LEAST 3x a week
-Don't starve yourself or you'll just end up losing more muscle than fat (your body has to make up for the nutrients you're not giving it) >;(
-Drink/Take Green Tea (Green Tea is found in almost every fat burner supplement)
-Choose wheat bread over white bread
-Choose brown rice over white rice (basically just don't eat anything white)
-Omega-3 Fish Oil pills (Healthy fats)
-Choose to eat lean meat
-Don't drink soda (I can go on and on about how bad this is, but...lets just say this has a lot to do with not helping your goals)
-Choose real fruits over juice
-Make an eating and exercise schedule (helps a lot)
-Get in your 8 hrs of sleep
-ALWAYS eat breakfast (Boosts your metabolism and choosing to skip it will lower your metabolism)

Okay, that should be enough tips. :P

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagilbirds View Post
Just like Arbite said, cutting back food to get a toned body won't work out. Even if it does, it will be the "no exercise body" where your body is just fat dangling everywhere. Unless you mean become really skinny to the point where the fake abs show because you are too skinny.

The most effective and quick way to form abs is by doing crunching.
This exercise focuses on the upper rectus abdominis with is basically your abs.
Here are pictures to properly carry out the routine.

Repeat, feeling the burn.

This is one of the easier ab related exercise other than sit up. The hardest is the Side Crunch. It's everywhere online.
The burn really is a useless measure of progress. Honestly, for ab growth and strength development, excercizes that cause isometric work in the muscle are the best. This means planks, hollow holds, l-sits and v sits. Squats, deadlifts and overhead presses for serious weight training.

That and abs really are made in the kitchen (unless you're Konstantin Konstantinovs). You can crunch until your heart gives out, but unless your bodyfat is ~12%, you're not going to see them.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
The burn really is a useless measure of progress. Honestly, for ab growth and strength development, excercizes that cause isometric work in the muscle are the best. This means planks, hollow holds, l-sits and v sits. Squats, deadlifts and overhead presses for serious weight training.

That and abs really are made in the kitchen (unless you're Konstantin Konstantinovs). You can crunch until your heart gives out, but unless your bodyfat is ~12%, you're not going to see them.
THIS! Too many people think that doing a bunch of ab exercises will give you abs. And yes that is true, you will get abs but you will never see them with the fat covering and the best way to get rid of that fat is through diet and strengthening the large muscles in your body such as your quads and back and chest. These muscles burn more calories and will help burn that fat away.

I can do 300+ crunches no problem. My core is very strong and I am starting to see abs but I am still at about 23% body fat so they don't show up as well. If you want a tone body I suggest doing the main lifting, squats, dead lift, cleans, bench press, chin ups and so on. These work a lot of muscle groups. When you lift weights your muscle fibers tear and your body has to burn calories in order to repair them and it can take a day or two to repair them so your body will be burning calories that whole time. No if you just do cardio your body only burns calories when doing the cardio. Also, as your muscles grow your body will burn more calories on a normal bases.

Also, eat healthy foods, fats don't really matter. Stay away from packaged food or processed food for best results. Second lift heavy weights. In order to get the toned look you want you will need to lift weights as well as diet. Cardio will only burn fat without putting on muscle.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Tias

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
THIS! Too many people think that doing a bunch of ab exercises will give you abs. And yes that is true, you will get abs but you will never see them with the fat covering and the best way to get rid of that fat is through diet and strengthening the large muscles in your body such as your quads and back and chest. These muscles burn more calories and will help burn that fat away.

I can do 300+ crunches no problem. My core is very strong and I am starting to see abs but I am still at about 23% body fat so they don't show up as well. If you want a tone body I suggest doing the main lifting, squats, dead lift, cleans, bench press, chin ups and so on. These work a lot of muscle groups. When you lift weights your muscle fibers tear and your body has to burn calories in order to repair them and it can take a day or two to repair them so your body will be burning calories that whole time. No if you just do cardio your body only burns calories when doing the cardio. Also, as your muscles grow your body will burn more calories on a normal bases.

Also, eat healthy foods, fats don't really matter. Stay away from packaged food or processed food for best results. Second lift heavy weights. In order to get the toned look you want you will need to lift weights as well as diet. Cardio will only burn fat without putting on muscle.
When i used to go to fitness i used to do cardio and burn around 500-700 calories and then i'd go and lift weights afterwards but by the sounds of it cardio doesn't help that much.
Hmmm, what was it again, as for when i DO train, isn't it 3 x 13 times of each kind? I heard that was supposed to be the most ideal way for training and after each time you should take a few seconds break.

But for the time being i can only change to a healthier diet since i don't have the money to train. Or i do but i have other expenses i need to take care of and still working on some cosplays but once it gets less cold i might be able to start training.
I don't want to just lose weight from dieting because i know my body will still have fat that way =I

As for food.
I stick to pepsi max and cola zero since it has no sugar in it.
I know it has tons of other chemicals which fucks with your brain but i try not to drink anything sugary. Or should i entirely skip those and stick to water?

I can drink green tea, i have a bag i bought some time ago.
Any specific times i should be drinking it?

I can't say anything about breakfast because i always wake up too late and have to hurry to school so unless an apple or banana is enough it's not possible =I

I will also try to stick to one plate of food from now on.
Tias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Akune-chan

Quote:
When i used to go to fitness i used to do cardio and burn around 500-700 calories and then i'd go and lift weights afterwards but by the sounds of it cardio doesn't help that much.
Hmmm, what was it again, as for when i DO train, isn't it 3 x 13 times of each kind? I heard that was supposed to be the most ideal way for training and after each time you should take a few seconds break.

But for the time being i can only change to a healthier diet since i don't have the money to train. Or i do but i have other expenses i need to take care of and still working on some cosplays but once it gets less cold i might be able to start training.
I don't want to just lose weight from dieting because i know my body will still have fat that way =I

As for food.
I know it has tons of other chemicals which fucks with your brain but i try not to drink anything sugary. Or should i entirely skip those and stick to water?

I can drink green tea, i have a bag i bought some time ago.
Any specific times i should be drinking it?

I can't say anything about breakfast because i always wake up too late and have to hurry to school so unless an apple or banana is enough it's not possible =I

I will also try to stick to one plate of food from now on.
Skipping meals is not good for you. Eat at least 2 to 3 meals. It will help your body's metabolism.

I would avoid soda at all costs (sure you can treat yourself) but when I get the craving, I drink half a can of Ginger Ale and share the other half with my mom. I don't drink more than half a can every 3 months. (I haven't had soda in a long time).

Stick to water and green tea.
If possible, drink the green tea after your main course meals. It will help your body detox. (I am actually drinking a cup of tea as we speak).

Fruits are good to include with your breakfast I heard. But I doubt that only one banana or one apple will be satisfying for a person your size. Try getting some cereal in there with some milk.
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Cardio is good for you. Do it. Make sure you get some in at least twice a week.

As for weights, there is no ideal way to train, it depends on the trainee and the goal. I can tell you that 3x13 is a stupid way to train for a beginner. 3-5x5-8 is generally far better off for someone beginning weight training. Taking as long as you need between sets.

Quote:
Yeah, just stick to water. Those things are full of such crap.
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
nikkiolie

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to say cardio wasn't good for you. It is. Just lifting weights burns more calories and can burn calories even after a workout. From what I have been reading it sounds like it is best to do weights on one day and cardio the day after. But yeah Cardio is good and you should do it.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
sweet_thang3298
Fit DBC Cosplay

Hello, if your goal is to become more toned then the best thing for you to do is start lifting weights.You cant spot target fat.Should pick either a training split or a workout that has you working 1 body part a day and one day of rest.As far as eating just get your macros right and you should be fine.I dont avoid any foods just try to make sure most of it is healthy.Try to fit in a few fruits and vegis in a day.I dont know how much time you have to lift in your day but if you dont have much time your best bet is doing compound workouts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and pullups.If you need anymore help just contact me here or on face book at FitDBCCosplay.