Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #61
Chibi_Hiei

Self taught by trial and error. I bought a cheap sewing machine and used to get so frustrated with it. Well, it was mostly human error but there was machine error as well...
I also watched a few sewing tutorials on youtube and bought a couple of books. I'm still learning but my current costume is way better sewn than my last two.

Levi (Attack on Titan) -100% done
Chibi_Hiei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
improvised

At college. Trying to impress my boyfriend with my "wifeyness." I bombed the class, but married my boyfriend, lol! That was 7 (still married, too!) years ago, but I can say my sewing skills have since improved. Sort of. :P
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #63
Hielostar
House of Hielo

Self taught. I had sewing classes when I was in middle school, but never learned anything more than how to make a pillow. :-P I looked through multiple tutorials/YouTube videos and bought a couple of books on techniques so I could start to learn. I haven't done anything super complicated yet, but I'm sure I will be able to put forth a decent effort when the need arises.
Link (Adult) - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Hange Zoe - Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan
Rocket Grunt - Pokemon series
Hielostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
ShinyCupcake
Om nom nom

Entirely self taught. When I was a kid I used to watch mom sew, but she quit around the time I was 5 or 6. She never got rid of her sewing machine and when I was 20 I decided to drag it out and see if I could figure out how to make something. I still have that first project which is ridiculously way to big for me. Youtube, sewing blogs, and taking on things outside my skill level have all helped me to improve... I suppose one day I might consider taking a class, but we shall see.
ShinyCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #65
Nami223
Nami

Home Ec and my mom

Cons

Izumicon
http://www.izumicon.com/info/
http://nami223.deviantart.com/
(I just made this)

Costumes for Izumicon
Tsukumo-Karneval

Lucy Heartfilia-Fairy Tail
Perona-One Piece
Mey-Rin from Black Butler
Nami223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #66
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

I taught myself by cutting up clothes I had outgrown or torn up and used it for fabric to make clothes for my Barbie and baby dolls.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #67
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKittyQueen View Post
Many of us were blessed with crafty mothers, aunts, grandmothers, and family friends of the like. While others were left to their own devices when it came to learning how to sew. I am one of those people. We don't even OWN a sewing machine in my home. I really want to get into making my own costumes, but I get so discouraged when I see how difficult it is to make them and how much money and time goes into them. I like for things to be perfect, so I feel that if it doesn't come out like I want it, I'll be pretty much screwed

Never the less, I am going to try, just to say that I did. My question is: How did you all get started? What was it that taught you how to sew and actually make cosplays? I'm curious to know since I want to be just like you guys!
AAARRGGH my sewing machine either hates me or I am cursed because it always malfunctions (my mom's old one) wish I could buy a new one but they are really expensive and cheap ones are... well cheap(and probably broken) and I to, am new to costume making but I'm learning by books and the internet and I've made a few bags and PJ's so far getting better and my friend says she may consider going as link and I could make her hat or something but yeah research and dedication that's how I'm attempting to get there so as a fellow beginner you have my support
PalmTopTaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #68
BrokenAlice
fields of hope ☆

My mom taught me to hand sew at first! I didn't really have the skill to make anything though, so I basically just sewed up little things like if there was a tiny hole in any of my clothes or something haha
but I got more into cosplay and got inspired to learn how to sew~ So I took a sewing class in high school and learned about patterns and how to use a sewing machine. It was very helpful, and although I'm not the best at sewing yet, I improved a little! C:
- -SDCC '14
»*undecided so far*
BrokenAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #69
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

For machine sewing and clothing construction, I'm completely self taught. I learned from tutorials I found online and on youtube. But recently I was lucky enough (read: I begged and pleaded) to get assigned to the costume shop at my university (I'm a theatre major), and I learned a lot of hand sewing stitches there.
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #70
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I had to learn handsewing by just practicing, but I recently learned new techniques from a friend's mother who knew about my projects and wanted to help.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #71
ageha09
Ageha09

self taught as well. im ok at it but very lazy hahaha
ageha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #72
Varanara

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKittyQueen View Post
Many of us were blessed with crafty mothers, aunts,
grandmothers, and family friends of the like. While others were left to their own devices when it came to learning how to sew. I am one of those people. We don't even OWN a sewing machine in my home. I really want to get into making my own costumes, but I get so discouraged when I see how difficult it is to make them and how much money and time goes into them. I like for things to be perfect, so I feel that if it doesn't come out like I want it, I'll be pretty much screwed

Never the less, I am going to try, just to say that I did. My question is: How did you all get started? What was it that taught you how to sew and actually make cosplays? I'm curious to know since I want to be just like you guys!
I took a Home Ec. Class in Junior High because it was a required class. We learned to sew by hand and by machine in the class, and its a skill I never forgot.
Varanara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #73
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

I taught myself for a while.. Then I went to fashion school =)
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #74
animazn

wow you guys are so cool! self taught is awesome xD tbh the most I've done is hand sewing(which I'm not that bad at, it just takes patience). I'm actually learning how to sew in a few days from my friend. I like know what to do pattern wise, its just the actual using of the sewing machine that I have yet to learn xD

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #75
nonsensicality
batterwitc)(

When I first got into cosplay, I actually never sewed anything. They usually ended up pretty terrible and I decided that I was not getting anywhere with just buying outfit pieces. I also learned something very key: people will actually pay me money to sew them things. Like if it's qualitea enough. My moirail had a sewing machine from camp that I used to use all the time to sew things, and she showed me how the machine worked, but that's about all the guidance I got from her. And when I got a sewing machine on my birthday last February, it was a completely different brand so I kinda had to teach myself all over again.