Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 293 votes, 4.87 average.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #20251
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
I am sick sick SICK TO DEATH of the invisible competitions this hobby has been taking on in the last few years. Everyone just wants to out-do each other and bash each other, and it makes me want to vomit.

Whether it's about accuracy vs creativity, colors vs fabrics, skin tones, or original variations, everyone has something negative to say! THIS HOBBY IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! SO STOP BEING A PRETENTIOUS JERK! YOU AINT THAT SPECIAL!

We're all losers and weirdo's together; act like it!

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #20252
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidei_sempai View Post
On the subject of homestuck, do any of you dislike the fandom? if so, tell me why. im not hear to argue about it I just want to hear everyones opinion.
and maybe clarify some thing <3
From the cons I've been to, no, the Homestucks for the most part were really cool. I ended up tagging along with a group of Hetalia cosplayers (it was my best friend's first and only convention so far, so I was staying with her to make sure she was alright) and we actually got to get in on their photoshoot. Everyone is pretty cool here.

The only thing that annoys me with them is I remember seeing a couple of the cosplayers of it screaming their LARP across the convention. I know they're just the bad apples, though, as I know a lot of my friends cosplay from it and are totally fine.

In all honesty, the multitude of Homestuck-haters are becoming worse than the fandom's bad apples themselves. :/
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #20253
Ilafatyu
That guy

I don't see the invisible competition. Perhaps because it's invisible.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #20254
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidei_sempai View Post
Some of us are kind of reclusive and only like to hang out with THEIR homestuck friends leaving others out. Alot of us will talk to almost anyone and love everone XD
Ah, yeah, most people probably already have their little cliques, and since I'm a bit late to the Homestuck party and am not in my teens anymore, it might be a bit harder to find some Homestucks that I can be con buddies with, but I'm sure I can find some nice ones. I'll just have to actually go for it and talk to some, haha. I might be going to the gathering at Fanime...but it'll be so crowded, that I'm a bit worried about going. [s]I should talk to some Jade cosplayers, because she's nice and likes to be friends with people (It's a joke, for those who take everything too seriously/aren't familiar with/haven't caught up in HS...though I'd just say that)[/s]

I've actually never run into extreme HS haters, but as I said, I tend to avoid the fandom. I'll never understand why people put so much effort into disliking something. Just ignore it, it's not harming you in any way. :/
I think I might also have had a slight advantage over, say, troll cosplayers, since my two HS cosplays so far haven't been obviously HS unless you know the characters enough to know what my original designs are meant to be. I was joking at SacCon that to Homestucks, I was Mom, but to non-Homestucks, I was Twiggy, after hearing the people in line in front of me comment that there weren't a lot of HS cosplayers around at that point.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays

Last edited by Musouka_Ningyou : 03-08-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Why don't we actually have strikethrough? whatever, I'm leaving it
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #20255
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I don't see the invisible competition. Perhaps because it's invisible.
I giggled. Oh, you.

I do see it, but it usually tends to stick with those who cause drama or become the center of drama. I know I can get bitchy about it at times because I can get bitchy about anything, but I've been trying a lot harder lately to keep myself in check.
I'd like to never be compared to others or worry about others making this hobby less fun for me by just blowing my costumes out of the water, and sometimes I do feel that they do, but I've been trying not to voice these opinions that much anymore since it only leads to trouble and being accused of being snarky for being scared about not being noticed or being lonely. I'm trying really hard not to become a 'competitor' rather than just a 'cosplayer'. If that makes any sense.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #20256
itsuxmasa

As a fellow Homestuck cosplayer I get annoyed by how some of the people of the community act and how HS haters/non HS cosplayers act. Some Homestuck cosplayers can just be down right immature, I know the Homestuck gets it's bad rep because of the storyline and bad art on it's own not to mention that the fandom is soooo large and is full of so many people that there just has to be chaos and people who go astray and are rude. However it still bothers me how immature some people can be when they are at cons. I truely don't want to stereotype because not only have most cosplayers who've cosplayed for years have had the phase of just being so excited that they are at con they just lose all ability to rationally do anything,but I'm close to the age group; but a lot of the rude cosplayers are young teens to mid and sometimes late teens. And they really add the "umph" to the Homestuck hate. Not only am I part of the Homestuck fandom but I've been part of the Hetalia fandom and a lot of hate pops up for fandoms that are just too big and have a younger audience. We all need to convince each other to act respectfully towards each other.

As for the other side of the spectrum, the Homestuck haters can be just as bad as they claim the Homestucks to be. I've heard people mutter rude things under their breath about the Homestucks. I've seen them exclude them from groups that don't cosplay Homestuck. I've witnessed them insulting the cosplayers for not having to put "effort" into their cosplays. I've heard of cases of people down right yelling at someone because of the fandom and telling them how stupid Homestuck is and how they'd never want to be part of the fandom because it is so stupid.

I don't think it's pointing fingers when I say that the antiHomestucks that give off hate is causing more of their local Homestucks to get into tight-knit groups that want to rebel and be obnoxious together and that the Homestucks who are just immature are causing other fandoms to hate them even more. All in all, the immature group of Homestucks and the Homestuck haters just feed off each others flames of hate to each other and it needs to stop.
itsuxmasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #20257
Scorpion89
The Master

As some one who attends between 15-25 Cons every year including the big 5, I can say while I don't have any general issue with Homestuck not my cup of tea, the issue I have seen and have been part of a few times is at cons when they do there group shoots they can be rather rude about what is going on.

Also I do know of a few incidents that Homestuck and other groups have got right nasty about locations I personally was involved with two last year but this is more to the fact as many have pointed out the age group of Homestuck is High School age.

Now that brings me to a pet peeve as a photographer who does may very large group shoots it really gets on my never when I'm doing a shoot and folks try to crowd in learn some respect folks if you come across a group shoot no matter what the size talk to the person running it before screaming out parings. I know for me I have no issue doing pairings just ask me don't start screaming it out over my shoulder.
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #20258
improvised

What is Homestuck??? I've looked, but I can't find the actual comic anywhere. Totally out of the loop, here.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #20259
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised View Post
What is Homestuck??? I've looked, but I can't find the actual comic anywhere. Totally out of the loop, here.
Here you go! http://www.mspaintadventures.com/
Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but apparently enough to have a huge fan base of which I am a part of. |D

I'm not too sure if the bad rep actually has much to do with the age of the fans. I know extremely mature 13-year-olds and absolutely ridiculous adults. It really depends on the individual.
I can see why people would get annoyed with seeing the same characters all the time, still, none of their business what others get to wear.
As long as you're not a jerk about things, I don't see any problem with disliking things though.
In progress:
| Tooru Oikawa - 95%| Cronus Ampora - 90%|
| Homura Akemi - 75%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Loki Laevatein - 45%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #20260
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised View Post
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestuck
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #20261
Shirayuki~Chan

I've seen people be more rude to those who are cosplaying from HS, than I have seen HS cosplayers be. The last con I was at, at a Homestuck photoshoot this guy(who wasn't cosplaying) stormed in and said "Oh god, look at all the Homestucks!" In an incredibly rude voice. All of us just kind of looked at him like, "really?" and no. He wasn't playing around, he would go around commenting "on look, another homestuck" to people when they walked down the hall. It was incredibly rude.

It's just disheartening when people glare, roll their eyes, or what have you just because you're cosplaying a Homestuck character.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Shirayuki~Chan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #20262
IenzoRenaNipah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
I thought the Hetalia and Homestuck fandoms were bros.
(They are here, at least)

Peeve; Animals. Skunk, why did you have to ruin my cosplay plan.
They are! But then there's that one bad apple on each side that starts a quick but bloody war!
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #20263
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I remember reading about an incident where someone walked by a Homestuck cosplayer and said "Homestuck sucks." And then the cosplayer like threw something at them. And the person who posted this was so damn proud of themselves for telling the Homestuck cosplayer that the series sucked, and just showing that "This is why no one likes you guys! This is why you all suck and blah blah blah". Now I'm not saying the cosplayer was in the right to throw something at them, but both parties are in the wrong here clearly. Going up to someone cosplaying from that series (Which might just mean, they like said series) and saying it sucks, just gets on my nerves. Just really...why do that, whats the point? And retaliating cause someone said a series you liked sucks...just why? You're only giving that person more fuel. Just ignore it. It's happen to me, and it's really best to ignore it.

Sorry fandom hatred just bothers me!

(Oh and my opinion on Homestuck, I'll admit, I don't like it. I tried to read it and just don't get it. And some of the fans does work my last nerve as I have had some bad run ins with them. BUT I do have several friends who like it and cosplay from it, and they are very mature, so I know not all the fans are like the bad apples. All in all. I don't judge a fandom based on their cosplayer, and I never judge a cosplayer based on their fandom)

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #20264
touchmon
Make All The Things!

How Joanns seems to not have the smaller pattern sizes. -_-

I went there for the Butternick pattern sale but I had to put a bunch back due to it being the larger size.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #20265
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Right now..I found one of my dream costumes for a reasonable price on Ebay, but I can't tell whether it's a scam or not. This is the store, I know the costumes have a taobao watermark on them but I've heard of sellers that do things similar to a taobao service, and of course taobao sellers that move to eBay as well.

On that note..Taobao, do you not realize how much of a godsend it would be to extend your services to the US/Canada? You would do so well ;^; I don't want to order off taobao because I don't like the idea of going through a service, but I might try just that if anyone else has a recommendation for one that's really good and it doesn't end up killing my wallet.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons