Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 383 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #20266
usuyukisou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
Right now..I found one of my dream costumes for a reasonable price on Ebay, but I can't tell whether it's a scam or not. This is the store, I know the costumes have a taobao watermark on them but I've heard of sellers that do things similar to a taobao service, and of course taobao sellers that move to eBay as well.

On that note..Taobao, do you not realize how much of a godsend it would be to extend your services to the US/Canada? You would do so well ;^; I don't want to order off taobao because I don't like the idea of going through a service, but I might try just that if anyone else has a recommendation for one that's really good and it doesn't end up killing my wallet.
Regarding the Ebay store: photos grabbed off taobao with varying watermarks/logos generally aren't a good bet. Certain taobao stores do have their own Ebay stores (Fantasy Sheep, CC Kids, Ayanamisatoru, and [I believe] Grand Young), and there are certain authorised resellers (Moemall for Lucaille)... More telling would be this product:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLEACH-Death...em416e48 1085
Compare the cosplayer in the main image versus the costume on the mannequin. You could keep the store in mind, but maybe you should refrain from ordering until you find a good detailed review.

Regarding services, at the charge 10% of your order price as service fee. Considering the cheap price of reasonable goods... it's actually not that much. And as expensive as EMS can get, they give you 40-50% off that EMS price because they deal with so many orders. (I personally use taobaospree, which gives 40% off. However, with shopping services, some people have an awful time with one and a great time with another, and vice versa, so find one you like... I've been lucky and never had a problem with taobaospree, so I haven't tried any of the others).

Unread 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #20267
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Wow. You can really see the passage of time illustrated by what fandoms everyone's complaining about at what time.

Guess it's HS time now?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #20268
Musouka_Ningyou

Since I've never really interacted much with other Homestucks, I'll leave the debate on that alone. I just hope I won't have too much trouble with them at Fanime...Though, I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to mess too much with a Condesce cosplayer? It will be a somewhat delicate cosplay, though, so I hope people don't want to mess to much with it.

Though, the stories about HS cosplayers being unruly at photoshoots makes me not want to go to the Fanime gathering. :< It just sounds too crazy.

My biggest peeve with HS cosplay right now is that I want to cosplay everything. =_______=;; I just added ballgown dreamer Roxy to my list for next SacAnime. It's taken over all my cosplay plans. I have other plans, too, but not as many as I have HS-related plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
How Joanns seems to not have the smaller pattern sizes. -_-

I went there for the Butternick pattern sale but I had to put a bunch back due to it being the larger size.
I had this same problem when I went in yesterday...there was this corset pattern that I really wanted, but they only had the larger sizes. I'd probably be a size 6 in this pattern, so there's no way I could use the larger pattern (starting at 14) without a lot of scaling...but at that point, I might as well just make my own corset pattern. Oh well. I don't -need- it, so I can always wait for the next Butterick sale.

Quote:
On that note..Taobao, do you not realize how much of a godsend it would be to extend your services to the US/Canada? You would do so well ;^; I don't want to order off taobao because I don't like the idea of going through a service, but I might try just that if anyone else has a recommendation for one that's really good and it doesn't end up killing my wallet.
I don't know anything about buying cosplay from Taobao or Ebay, so I won't comment on the first part.
But for this part, some Taobao sellers (as Taobao is a grouping of individual sellers, so each seller would choose their policies on this, not Taobao as a whole) do ship overseas. I don't know if there is a list somewhere of ones that do, but it can't hurt to email the seller and ask.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Wow. You can really see the passage of time illustrated by what fandoms everyone's complaining about at what time.

Guess it's HS time now?
Haha, yeah, it's kind of interesting to see the progression of super popular (and super hated) fandoms. I try not to let any fandom bother me too much, but this is my first time in a popular fandom, so I have no idea what to expect or how to handle all of the craziness. ;o;
In time, some other fandom will be super popular, attract all the younger fans, etc., and be super hated. maybe I'll go to dying HS gatherings and such then...
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays

Last edited by Musouka_Ningyou : 03-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #20269
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
Regarding the Ebay store: photos grabbed off taobao with varying watermarks/logos generally aren't a good bet. Certain taobao stores do have their own Ebay stores (Fantasy Sheep, CC Kids, Ayanamisatoru, and [I believe] Grand Young), and there are certain authorised resellers (Moemall for Lucaille)... More telling would be this product:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLEACH-Death...em416e48 1085
Compare the cosplayer in the main image versus the costume on the mannequin. You could keep the store in mind, but maybe you should refrain from ordering until you find a good detailed review.

Regarding services, at the charge 10% of your order price as service fee. Considering the cheap price of reasonable goods... it's actually not that much. And as expensive as EMS can get, they give you 40-50% off that EMS price because they deal with so many orders. (I personally use taobaospree, which gives 40% off. However, with shopping services, some people have an awful time with one and a great time with another, and vice versa, so find one you like... I've been lucky and never had a problem with taobaospree, so I haven't tried any of the others).
Alright. I didn't look very hard because I had some serious doubts about it, but I was going to keep an eye on it in case. Thanks for the great advice though, just what I needed
I think the hardest thing is that since I'm a minor, any orders have to go through my parents first. Not sure how well they would handle to using a taobao service, and I don't blame them, really. (Even though pretty much any costume you order from a website comes from a foreign country, they might be uncomfortable having to use a middle man with it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post

Guess it's HS time now?
Yeah. It's been Homestuck for several months now.
The comic is supposed to end this April though, so maybe it'll die down and a new fandom will come up.
I personally can and can't wait to see what'll come next.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #20270
usuyukisou

Quote:
I think the hardest thing is that since I'm a minor, any orders have to go through my parents first. Not sure how well they would handle to using a taobao service, and I don't blame them, really. (Even though pretty much any costume you order from a website comes from a foreign country, they might be uncomfortable having to use a middle man with it)
I'm actually the opposite. Since I simply got used to the taobao site and cannot truly read Chinese, I prefer paying the service through Paypal, since I cannot read taobao's terms and conditions and their protections and such. My mum knows Chinese, but I don't know if she's good enough to read legal documents, so I feel more comfortable with the service to buy off taobao (especially compared to buying from a mass-costume site which, even if legitimate, might be prone to malware attacks if they are not secure enough).
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #20271
Shirayuki~Chan

International Mail Tracking System. Seriously. I can't figure out how to read their stupid system, so I have no idea where my wig is and no idea when I'm going to get it, or if there's a problem. I really hate intmail.

Cosplays:
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Weiss Schnee (White Outfit)- RWBY

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #20272
AsianPsylocke

I love my dogs, but the one thing I hate about wearing my all black costume around the house to make sure everything stays in place is that the dog hair that gets attached to it stand out more. Seriously, huskies and dark clothes don't mix.

Future Cons:
Comikaze
LVL UP Expo
Wizard World Las Vegas
Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con
NYCC
AsianPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #20273
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

I have one right now: wanting to learn more about an anime convention but not being able to find any reviews for it. Lately I've been trying to find reviews for Florida Anime Experience since I no longer wish to attend Megacon (we can't afford it and the reviews I read about it called it either dissapointing or so-so) but I can't find any stinking reviews! I only read ONE review on it and it gave FAE a 5.5/10 but I'd like to read other opinions as well! D;

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #20274
KatyCruel

The blisters on my fingers that my crappy fabric scissors give me. *cries because I've been cutting through sweaters for two days*

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #20275
trmbngrl
Britt

Slut shaming... it really bothers me.
.___.
I think the only time it really irks me when girls wear skimpy stuff (or anyone really) is when they break character to do so, like a genderbent male who is really shy about his body being given FULL LINGERIE as a girl. Other than that... just. Let people be and don't feel better about yourself because your comfort level is different than others.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #20276
Padmik
mikky

Current peeve of the day has to be cons falling short every year. I've been attending Momocon for six years now and it never manages to be exciting for me. It just gives off a very lackluster vibe. I didn't buy a pass this year so I couldn't get into any of the rooms, and one of my classmates claimed I was missing out on the fun. Of course, anyone that's been going to Georgia anime cons for a while would know that if it's at Momocon, it's going to be at AWA. So why waste the money if I'm gonna stand around for a couple of hours? I can wait six months for a plushie.

But next year, I think I'm going to invest in going to MTAC in Tennessee instead. I think I'm just in a con stump right now.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2015 Conventions
We shall see~
2015 Cosplays
Honekoneko - Panty & Stocking 85%
Katniss Everdeen (hunting) - The Hunger Games 5%
Levi Ackerman - Attack on Space 0%
Rei Ayanami - Neon Genesis Evangelion 0%
Moira Burton - Resident Evil 0%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #20277
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmik View Post
Current peeve of the day has to be cons falling short every year. I've been attending Momocon for six years now and it never manages to be exciting for me. It just gives off a very lackluster vibe. I didn't buy a pass this year so I couldn't get into any of the rooms, and one of my classmates claimed I was missing out on the fun. Of course, anyone that's been going to Georgia anime cons for a while would know that if it's at Momocon, it's going to be at AWA. So why waste the money if I'm gonna stand around for a couple of hours? I can wait six months for a plushie.

But next year, I think I'm going to invest in going to MTAC in Tennessee instead. I think I'm just in a con stump right now.
I...actually agree with you. About the exact same con.
Momocon was awesome the first year (though it was also my first con), but since then it seems to just have been sloping downhill as far as the amount of fun I have every year. It's been quite a long time since I've genuinely felt I've had fun at that con. I don't know what it is, but..I have noticed most of my friends are in a bad mood at Momocon too. Every time.

Which brings me to my peeve...Cosplaying popular characters. I love Black Butler. I will not stop cosplaying from it, and Ciel is my favorite, so I will not stop cosplaying him entirely.
But..I hate..being lost in a sea of one character. It makes me feel like I made a really bad choice, and just..insignificant. Even with the variety of Ciel having so many outfits to choose from, I still just feel like to everyone else I blend in with the others.
It's making me think a lot about my cosplay choices. Nearly everything unique has already been done..so..I'm not sure what to do. I'm in a serious rut about this.

Also..how much theoretical power and popularity having a partner or group gives you when you are cosplaying a popular character. Cosplaying as Ciel on my own..people hardly glance at me. Cosplaying as Ciel with a couple of other Black Butler cosplayers..everyone wants our picture and to film us for a Momocon video.
Seriously?
(I know, cons are for fun and all, but..it's only fun when people actually want to interact with you.)

Oh, and on a less dreary more creeped note, fangirls. I had a girl following me around all day, and she was nice, but she would SNIFF ME, and my rabbit plushie, and hug me, and draw her OC with my version of Ciel.
Apparently she does this to a lot of/every Ciel cosplayers. But...dear god, it's really creepy to think about.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 03-10-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #20278
Akahana Hime
Proud OC Cosplayer

[/quote]Oh, and on a less dreary more creeped note, fangirls. I had a girl following me around all day, and she was nice, but she would SNIFF ME, and my rabbit plushie, and hug me, and draw her OC with my version of Ciel.
Apparently she does this to a lot of/every Ciel cosplayers. But...dear god, it's really creepy to think about.[/quote]
O_O I cosplay Vampire Knight but I think this is a good reason to not cosplay characters....I just do OC's so I blend in...I am doing Yuki Cross this year though so i'm nervous....o////o
PS I LOVE YOUR CIEL COSPLAYS
Pet Peeve:
Waiting....i'm waiting for my new binder shirt and new vampire knight boots to come in the mail...I wants them now
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #20279
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahana Hime View Post
O_O I cosplay Vampire Knight but I think this is a good reason to not cosplay characters....I just do OC's so I blend in...I am doing Yuki Cross this year though so i'm nervous....o////o
PS I LOVE YOUR CIEL COSPLAYS
I don't think you'll have any problems, really. Yuki Cross is a cool character, and as Brina Palencia said in her panel (it was about VAs and how males have more horror stories, but it applies to this too) "If the fanboys did to girls what the fangirls do to guys, they would be arrested, simple as that." You notice that a lot of the crazy, creepy, feely fangirls are for people who crossplay male characters that have a lot of fan following..yeah. There's a reason for that. Don't get me wrong, guys creep on girls just as much, they just know they need to be more subtle about it lest they be charged for sexual assault.

Also...too many wants, too little money and time. One of my friends after reading about my lonely/ununique rant about Ciel has offered to do Lizzie with me for an ice skating event that comes up later this year, and I would love to have Ciel's winter cloak for it, but I have no clue how I would get the money or time for that.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #20280
Akahana Hime
Proud OC Cosplayer

Quote:
I don't think you'll have any problems, really. Yuki Cross is a cool character, and as Brina Palencia said in her panel (it was about VAs and how males have more horror stories, but it applies to this too) "If the fanboys did to girls what the fangirls do to guys, they would be arrested, simple as that." You notice that a lot of the crazy, creepy, feely fangirls are for people who crossplay male characters that have a lot of fan following..yeah. There's a reason for that. Don't get me wrong, guys creep on girls just as much, they just know they need to be more subtle about it lest they be charged for sexual assault.

Also...too many wants, too little money and time. One of my friends after reading about my lonely/ununique rant about Ciel has offered to do Lizzie with me for an ice skating event that comes up later this year, and I would love to have Ciel's winter cloak for it, but I have no clue how I would get the money or time for that.
Well I also Crossplay too..... lol I plan to do Kaname eventually but I generally stick to random characters for things like cosplays because my first year of con I got glomped and all I was wearing was a kimono.... It hurt.... so I am really afaid to do Yuki lol not just for that but i'm also afraid someone may break my scythe that someone is working so hard on for me. -_- so another pet peeve I guess is glomping that and stalking....like the last con I went to I was talking to this Rin (inuyasha) cosplayer and she followed me for TWO hours I figured that once I ended the conversation and walked away we were done...but nooo...I was suddenly her bestest friend...O_O.....i'm not really a people friendly person....In fact the only time of year I hug people is at con...but even then I ask permission and i'm polite about it...o///o