Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

From Pregnancy to Cosplay

Hello Moms and Mama's to be. This thread has been edited to be a discussion and support thread. A place for you to feel safe about the post baby body and know there are people in your shoes, as well as people who have once been there.

Most of you don't know me. I am more of a lurker than a poster. Hi, I'm Zelly.

In April 2012, I gave birth to a little girl named Kairi. Prior to that, I was in fit cosplay and belly dancing shape. I was 130 pounds in a size 6 pant size and I had tons of energy. However by the end of my pregnancy, I was a whopping 180 pounds. Yup, I said "Holy Crap" too.

After birth, I was around 165-170. A few months later when Anime Expo came around I had to alter my cosplay because I was still around 160. Most of which was in my belly and hips. Which is normal for a person who had a kid.

It's 9 months later I was still 150 pounds. I posted my journey here and now I want to share the progress.

I have implemented my usual routines of walking, hand weights and dancing. I started up Core Rhythms and I plan on experimenting with more dvds. Diet wise, I joined MyFitnessPal.

You might see some old posts up here when I needed advice. Take it. It works. I may have a little more to loose in baby weight but I am happier. 20 pounds down since the beginning of the 2013 year. (We are in July 2013 at this edit)

Before Pregnancy: Literally One month before.

First Con After baby and the same con one year later.

Please share stories, concerns and advice to the ladies in this thread. Thank you to those who helped me.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page
I.C.U.( Intense Cosplay Unit)

Anyone got photos of Baby Eevee, Kairi, Shippo or Usa-chan at AX13? Please send them my way.

Last edited by ZellyKat : 07-10-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Adding photos
ZellyKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Gorgeous baby, what's it's name?

I wish you luck! You have my support! :>

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
rndmguy

Even if you're eating healthy for diet, if you're overeating won't lose weight. How much rather than what you eat matters much more.

If you haven't already get an estimate of your maintenance calories, there's a million calculators online to do it, and then create a deficit from that. It'll be a pain, but measure out your portion sizes so that you're sure you're actually getting the right amount. I know I'm not the only one who used to eat 3-4 servings of rice when I eyeball one serving.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

J-Mirakuru: Her name is Kairi.

rndmguy: The program I'm on for nursing the baby is pretty good. Not much different from what I was eating before. I do my best to keep my caloric intake around 1200 calories. At times I do go over, but for my body I am good up till 1500. I never really get that high anyway. I grew up paranoid of being overweight.

Portion sizes only increased when I was told to eat more by doctors and nutritionist for both pregnancy and nursing, but now I am trying to decrease little by little.
The best thing however is that, because I am still nursing, that is 500 calories taken away from my diet. Downside to that is it makes me hungry.
I find that I over eat when I think the word "diet". It's messed up, because my mind is focused on food food food.. It's far better that I don't think it. I refer to it as an "eating style". It's all a head game for me.

My biggest issue, is my laziness. Lacking sleep makes me more exhausted and lethargic. I just got to get over that bump in the road.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Anyone got photos of Baby Eevee, Kairi, Shippo or Usa-chan at AX13? Please send them my way.

Last edited by ZellyKat : 01-27-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
MedievalGirl

Congrats on the baby! My youngest was born the first week of May so I'm with you on the no sleep thing.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Pregnancy can mess with it and make you produce less.

After my first pregnancy I started going to the gym and this was so helpful. It helped stave of post-partum depression and they gym had a good child watch program so I got some time away from the kiddo.

There was something about nursing that made me terribly hungry and I wasn't even trying to lose weight. I found that high fiber granola bars were good. There is so much fiber that I felt full and didn't feel like I wanted another one right away.

Good luck.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Kaliza

I would suggest try keeping a food diary and find out how much you are getting of things like protein and fiber, because these can affect feelings of hunger and energy levels, also it can be difficult to get enough of these and other nutrients if you are sticking to a 1200 calorie diet so keeping a log will help to monitor that as well.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Emrys

Lack of sleep on a regular basis (getting less than 7 or 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night) has been show to prevent weight loss/contribute to weight gain, even with dieting and exercise. With an infant in the house, I imagine it could be difficult to actually get a full night's sleep.

Maybe you can work out a more effective sleep schedule with your spouse, or you may have to wait until your daughter is on a regular sleep schedule and sleeping through the night. This is something all new parents deal with so there should be some tips and advice on all the parenting blogs out there.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalGirl View Post
Congrats on the baby! My youngest was born the first week of May so I'm with you on the no sleep thing.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Pregnancy can mess with it and make you produce less.
Congrats to you too. It's nice to meet people who party in the same boat.

I haven't actually checked my thyroid. That may be something will do as soon as I start going to the doctors again.

Emrys:
Sleep sucks but it is getting better. It is a very big hurtle to over come. She is supposed to be sleeping through the night right now, but that's not happening with her current teething stage.

Kaliza
The dreaded food diary. I gotta do that. It scares me at the best of times. I got to do this though anyway. I'm going to kill my brother in law.

I tell him I don't eat sugary treats like Twinkies, Pop Tarts, cake pops and cookies and crap unless it's a special occasion. He goes and buys this and fills our cabinets and frige with it. It's taking all my will power to avoid them, just as much will power not to smack him. I've been doing pretty good with my self control.

To everyone:
I just took some cell phone photos of my current progress. And I am thrilled. I'm not sure if I should update it on my first post or not.

By the way, any one who wants to share their before and after shots with me can. It's a great motivator to see other people making changes.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Updated Progress:

I'm actually surprised. I haven't really had a good look at my body in three months. With luck I might end up making my goal after all. I have yet to get on a scale.

Pants size, I am down from the 15 to a 10. I won't push a size 9 yet. My goal is 6.

Chest wise.. thanks to nursing I am a D cup now. A blessing for some, Annoying to me. lol Ouran cosplay will never be the same.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Update March 1st.
No loss in pounds but I'm down a pant size. I think. LOL, I should take measurements. I only say down a pant size because I was able to squeeze into a size 8 and that's better than the last time I posted.

I've joined Myfitnesspal.com to help me keep track of my food and exercise. If you are there and want to add me, I'm under the name Zellykat.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
improvised

Hi!
Totally going to be in the same boat as you. Having my baby in less than a month.
I tend to cosplay as Impa from Zelda, Skyward Sword in October, which means I will really need to get my rear in gear to make it happen.
For what it's worth, what really helped me lose the weight with my last baby (I've had 4), was to exercise. A lot. Not grueling 65 minute sweat sessions, but I was very active. I walked EVERYWHERE, and averaged about 6 miles a day. I also ran 2-3 times a week. As far as food was concerned, I initially calorie counted, but that got boring. I just tried to swap out a regular meal everyday with a huge salad with chicken, cheese, beans, some kind of protien. That seemed to help. I also drank TONS of water, typically 12 glasses a day. Hope that helps! Right now I'm taking it fairly easy, but once I'm cleared for exericse, I'll start up the running again.

EDIT. Hey, I'm on MFP too! I'm not calorie counting right now, but I'm improvised, if you want to add me.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised View Post

EDIT. Hey, I'm on MFP too! I'm not calorie counting right now, but I'm improvised, if you want to add me.
I think you sent me a request. I added you if you did. I haven't been on much this week because my own computer is in the shop right now. I'm trying very hard to keep track of my food without the diary.

As of last Monday, I've lost 4 pounds. 16 more to go. It helps that I'm working on designing my cosplay. It keeps me motivated to do more. I really need to remember to fill up on water. I'm actually very bad at my liquid intake. It's something I should really work on.

It's nice to meet you, by the way. It's good to know I'm not in this boat alone. Little one is getting around more and soon to be walking so my chasing days are going to start soon.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Unread 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Update!!

Today was my weigh in day. I have lost an inch in nearly all my measurements and 2 in each thigh. Currently 145 lbs.

I think I might actally make my goal before AX.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
KitchenWench

I gave birth 2 years ago. I am now getting back into cosplay in time for Otakon. Clean eating no processed foods is the best bet with strength training if you have the motivation. I am actually 12 pounds lighter then before I got pregnant. I've been doing Insanity on and off while being vegan. Just beware it took you 9 months to put on the baby weight it will take about that much or up to a year for it to come off. If your nursing... 10 pounds usually stays on you for the baby as storage. I am still nursing my 2 year old, so I am hoping when he weans that 10 pounds of storage melts off. Good job with your progress weight loss! Your doing great!
KitchenWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
SapphireLotus
Where's my f@*king tea?

I just had my second child 2 months ago, my oldest was only 18months when he was born so I never really got to drop any baby weight. I started by second pregnancy at 160 and ended at 193. I have no idea what my weight is now but Im determined to get rid of this nasty flabby baby belly I have.

I waited the 6 week recovery period before I started doing anything, but I've cut down on how much I eat a day and am paying more attention to what I eat too. My friend happens to have the Insanity! workout dvds and she's letting me borrow those (to which I just started and it's kicking my ass) on top of which I use my Kinect for Zumba and the Just Dance games.

If Im lucky, maybe I'll look nice in a few months
SapphireLotus is offline   Reply With Quote