Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

Hot glue on the thin, soft bit of my instep. I have had needles stuck in my hands and feet as well.

However, the WORST I've had was a combination of heat stroke, dehydration and starvation because I was trying to do a Marine space suit from Starcraft, out of paper mache, in my back yard... and I completely lost track of time until I was forced to come inside because I couldn't stand straight any more and fell on my face.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Levinanth
Pokémon Master

I slipped while doing a photoshoot during Nemo on a set of stairs and broke my collarbone and dislocated my shoulder. I didn't even realize it until after I got inside and my right side had swollen up. >___<

Lesson learned, stop doing photoshoots during snowstorms..
Skitty
Levinanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
Darkdreamyr
Lost Cause

At Fanime one year I was Heimdall from Matantei Loki Ragnarok. His stupid boots had some furry stuff inside, it was hot and they did a number rubbing on the backs of my ankles. Bled and scabbed something fierce, led to me hobbling barefoot across three blocks of downtown San Jose. Even worse, they're still sensitive to this day. Thankfully most of my normal shoes are mules and the hiking boots don't seem to bother me.
Darkdreamyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #34
MitsukaiEievui

No physical injuries except for blisters for me but I had emotional ones.
It was at the first con I went to and during my first time cosplaying as well...

When me, my sis and her friend were on an escalator, someone behind us said "What a waste of money. I will never let my child do this." I think they also said something along the lines of "They should go into rehabilitation."

Pretty much felt really bad the whole day D:

Last edited by MitsukaiEievui : 03-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

I cut my neck with pins one year. I was trying to be sooo careful when I took that dress off but the pins ended up slicing my neck anyway. Sure made people look at me funny for a few weeks! You don't often see people with scabs and cuts in that spot.
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #36
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I've told this story before, I think, but it serves as a warning to those like my past, naive self.

A Fanime many years ago, I crossplayed as a character with a low-cut top. This required me to forgo my usual compression shirt in favor of medical tape. I found an elastic tape that seemed great and decided (very stupidly) to wear that instead of the tape I knew didn't hurt.

I wore it all day, noticing a bit of itchiness but no major discomfort. Then, as I walked out of a dark anime viewing room, blinking in the fluorescent lighting, I was glomped. Never saw it coming, but JESUS CHRIST did I feel it. When I made it to the safety of my hotel room (8 BLOCKS AWAY) I realized that the elasticity of the tape had been slowing pulling at my skin on both my sides, and that the glomp had finally torn those bits of skin off with the ends of the tape.

This was the first day of a four-day con in which I was crossplaying every day. I used every bandage in my group's overpacked first aid kit. It took a year for the scars to fade.

TL;DR Try shit out before a con.

TL;DR x 2 For the love of god don't glomp people.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #37
Gummibar

I haven't exactly injured myself during the process of making a costume, but I have received injury while wearing one. I've damaged the nerves in my neck muscle because I wore Gaara's gourd for 10 hours to long. I entered the Masquerade and had to wear the thing all day, up until the showing. Now I can't do any heavy lifting because of the injury. Never again.
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

I haven't gotten injured too badly, thankfully. I just got distracted once and looked away while cutting some fabric. Snipped the tip of my pinky finger, and once it healed the nerves were numb for about a month. I have a tendency to keep my nails long and the scissors were really sharp, or it could have been worse. Funnily enough, my first thought when I felt the scissors wasn't "Oh no, I just cut myself." but "Oh shoot, I'm working with white fabric, I hope I didn't just get blood on it.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummibar View Post
I haven't exactly injured myself during the process of making a costume, but I have received injury while wearing one. I've damaged the nerves in my neck muscle because I wore Gaara's gourd for 10 hours to long. I entered the Masquerade and had to wear the thing all day, up until the showing. Now I can't do any heavy lifting because of the injury. Never again.
Yikes. I was afraid of that, now I'm definitely getting my dad to help me make a good harness. My gourd isn't even done yet and it's already quite heavy.

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 35% finished

Izanagi no Okami - Persona 4 - Planning stages

Next Con: Anime Expo 2015
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
Mr Zero

I tripped on steps once and was in a lot of pain because I couldnt see well with my mask on and it was dark
Mr Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #40
Full Gloom
I see you~

I got a full stitch in my finger while sewing with a machine.... That kind of scared me away from cosplay for the month....
I didn't want to ask anyone around me for help because I didn't want to be a bother. I was so socially awkward. XD

Worse thing that happened to me in cosplay was when I was running around in my friend's Organization 13 cloak and ran into a wall because I couldn't see anything. Fractured my nose.
Full Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
creatingchaos

I sat on a pencil while finishing my kanda cosplay the night before the con and had a pencil lead stuck in there til my mom fished it out after an hour. i also had nerve damage to my feet for a few months after wearing my ridiculous platform yoko boots xD
creatingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #42
Auroracuno
Braviary

I wouldn't call this an 'injury' necessarily, but it most certainly does not feel good to accidentally hot glue ones finger T.T
Auroracuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #43
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Sore feet from wearing heels for the first time all day. I actually took them off and bought sandals halfway through my first con wearing them. I was born male, so heels aren't something I was very accustomed to, but now, I am fine with them.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
Crabcakes
Subway Boss

I accidentally bought shoes that were too small for me last year for AnimeNext and didn't realize it until after the con. I ended up having some really nasty blisters on my feet as a result.

Planned Cosplays
Lolita!Emmet (Pokemon Black/White)
Elesa (Pokemon Black/White)
Bianca (Pokemon Black/White)
Mako Mankanshoku (Kill la Kill)
Crabcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #45
JelloTheFish
Define Awesome.

Back to X-Acto knives... I'm not sure if all of them have this, but the one I was using has a removable blade, so while I was cutting out pieces for my Rock Cannon, I kept slipping and slicing my finger with the back of the knife. It never drew blood or anything, but I didn't even realize the tips of my fingers were all sliced up until I wondered why it hurt to press them.

Finished:
  • Black Rock Shooter

Sort of Working On:
  • Norway (2%)
  • Xerxes Break (10%)
  • Sharon Rainsworth (10%)
  • France (20%)

Planning:
  • Flandre Scarlet
  • Maru or Moro
JelloTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote