Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Oscuro_Lupo
Account Closed.

What's your view of watermarking cosplay photos?

I know it's extremely annoying to see them on such amazing cosplay photos (I'm talking about ones that you have the right to put your watermark on, not the photographers photos).

I personally have to slap one either in the middle, or on the side somewhere, so it's completely visible. Unfortunately I've had a recent run in with an impostor who stole my unwatermarked cosplay photos and created a huge mess with them.
Anyway, what do you think about watermarking your photos?

Edit: In time mine will be changed to a less intrusive watermark. Also, anyone taking photos for commissions or conventions won't have watermarks on their photos of course.

Cosplays:
Karena Lesproux - Finished
Classic Lara Croft - Completed
Jill Valentine-RE-3 - In Progress
Oscuro_Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I think a watermark looks good, done tastefully. Not a bright red blob of text over the subject's face. That said, I've never watermarked any of my pictures. None of 'em would be good enough to steal. xD

Generally speaking, I like watermarks because they let me find more pictures done by that person.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
firecloak

I think watermarks are good when they're not too noticable (not too distracting) i.e., on the bottom right corner, or creatively hidden in the photo.

I absolutely dislike watermarks in the middle of the photo (huge deviantart watermark, for example). I want to look at the cosplayer, not the watermark!

Watermarks that are too big are bad too.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
usuyukisou

I would actually use the most blatant watermarks all over my photos, since I know it would definitely suck to see my photos all over Ebay or some scam site, being used to sell shoddy products. Even blatant watermarks/logos don't prevent theft; I've seen some pretty ugly cover-ups and some where the original wasn't even covered up... But hey, do what we can, right? Even if it mars a beautiful photo, better than having it stolen.
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

I see nothing wrong with people wanting to add watermarks on their pictures. After all you are just protecting your work and you don't want anyone else using your photos in any inappropriate ways. I wish the cosplay.com has an option where it protects your photo from people who just copy and paste pictures and then put your photo through photoshop hell and removes the watermarks and such.

I disagree about putting the watermark in the corner of the photo they can just trim your photo in MS paint/photoshop if they want. It's not that hard. I get what you are saying about you want to look at the cosplayer not a water mark. Have it hidden somewhere, where you can still see cosplayer and cosplay but not somewhere you can trim out.

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Suuki
Sakura Chan

Watermarks are a very good idea. You don't want your pictures being used by other people for scam.. (like to sell their product) And you definitly don't want your pictures used for any scam.
Watermarks are lovely. It is the artists signature on your piece, it should be nothing to be ashamed of.. Watermarks that are too big are just obnoxious and ruin the original piece. Also, the watermark should be a way for other people to find your photo's. (like someone already stated)
Honestly, I don't think there is anyway to avoid people taking photos without having an obnoxious watermark, but having a watermark shouldn't be as important as not ruining your photo.
Suuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

They're your photos. Watermark them, don't watermark them, put the watermark in the corner, on your face, across the whole entire thing...they're your photos. Do what you will with them. I don't watermark them because I don't like having them on [plus I'm lazy].

I'm not concerned with them being stolen...some already have been. I'm not going to loose sleep over it.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
They're your photos. Watermark them, don't watermark them, put the watermark in the corner, on your face, across the whole entire thing...they're your photos. Do what you will with them. I don't watermark them because I don't like having them on [plus I'm lazy].

I'm not concerned with them being stolen...some already have been. I'm not going to loose sleep over it.
Same. I think they mess with your photo's juju a bit.

If I were going to sell some as prints tho, then those might be necessary exemptions to that...I feel that photography is generally otherwise meant to be "shared" (unless it's the really private, ruin your life kind). It's digital art: If it goes on the internet, you have to accept that it's now "out there".

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 03-09-2013 at 07:44 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

I don't mind watermarks--in fact I think they're a good idea to prevent people from stealing--but I like it better when they're placed in the corner or towards the bottom of the photo.

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Suuki
Sakura Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
Same. I think they mess with your photo's juju a bit.

If I were going to sell some as prints tho, then those might be necessary exemptions to that...I feel that photography is generally otherwise meant to be "shared" (unless it's the really private, ruin your life kind). It's digital art: If it goes on the internet, you have to accept that it's now "out there".
I think watermarking is a good idea. No one wants their photo floating around being involved in scam on the internet. And it is not that the watermark needs to be obnoxious either. But again, it is the internet. They will find a way to remove.
Suuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
KatyCruel

As far as watermarks go, I personally think they should be put somewhere that can't be cropped out, but they SHOULDN'T be put over the cosplayer's face - it just takes so much away from the picture.

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Oscuro_Lupo
Account Closed.

Thank you everyone for your input!
I agree that the giant dA marks are pretty annoying, but they do prevent people from stealing. When my new cosplays are done I hopefully won't have to worry about identity theft again, so they won't be so thoroughly marked.

Cosplays:
Karena Lesproux - Finished
Classic Lara Croft - Completed
Jill Valentine-RE-3 - In Progress
Oscuro_Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote