Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
sylgard

losing weight at a young age

basically what the title says, im 15 and i want to lost weight (im roughly 13 stone i haven't weighed myself in a while) anyway im just wandering if there is anyway you cans suggest of losing weight, i cant really do diets because its hard to do if you eat with other people and aparently its not a good idea if your to young, i think my main issue is i eat to fast and i usually eat slightly to much any ideas? lately ive been just trying to eat 2 thirds of what i would regularly eat but thats about it (dont say stop eating fast food because i hardly ever eat it)
sylgard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
nikkiolie

You could put your fork down between every bite and wait till you swallow your food before you pick it back up. Other than that I would suggest picking up a sport. It will give you a chance to workout but not make others concerned that you are trying to lose weight. Some parents are weird and don't want their child working out.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
violetlights
Pokemon Master

Also if you have a gaming system, playing Dance Central, Just Dance, or other similar games is a great way to get exercise!
violetlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
ihelia

A mixture of the following:

Portion control. It's better to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day than 2-3 large meals - this keeps your metabolism active. Try eating half of what's on your plate. If you're hungry in a couple hours, snack on something light like some carrots, a scoop of peanut butter, a banana, or anything else to keep your metabolism active. Stay away from carbs and sugars. They just make you crave more.

Exercise. Losing weight/staying healthy is simply calories in, calories out. If you're taking in X amount of calories a day, you want to expend that much energy. It's hard when school, work and life require us to be sedentary for most of the day, but finding 30-45 minutes of your day to be active is so important to staying healthy and in shape! I have found doing workout videos or yoga/group setting activities are much more helpful to me than trying to work out on my own. Get a buddy to go walking with, try a yoga video in your bedroom, something like that.

Good luck! You're still young, so your daily habits just need to be adjusted a little bit.
  • Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion (100%)
  • Melia from Xenoblade Chronicles (5%)
Planned Cons
  • WonderCon 2014
  • AnimeExpo 2014
  • Anime California
  • Comikaze
ihelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
sweet_thang3298
Fit DBC Cosplay

Do you workout at all right now.If so what is your workout routine.My Wife and I both heavy lift and Cosplay.We try to portray the character in fitness style as well as attitude.I would suggest you start lifting weights if you want to lose weight and track your macros.I can help more if you let me know what your goal is.Also can check My wife and I's page out on face book at Fit DBC Cosplay.Thanks
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihelia View Post
A mixture of the following:

Portion control. It's better to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day than 2-3 large meals - this keeps your metabolism active. .
Not true. The metabolism adjusts depending on how much you eat, ie, it stays faster for longer for a 1000 calorie meal than a 500. It pretty much balances out in comparison to large/small meals.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
sylgard

hmm thanks for the advice guys, currently i cycle roughly 50 minutes a day (at moderate to high intesity) on school days and 30 minutes on weekends i cant really do loads of small portions because i usually eat with my family, im trying to cut the amount of food i eat in half (portion wise) and taking longer to eat it, your right i recently realized i eat way to fast
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylgard View Post
basically what the title says, im 15 and i want to lost weight (im roughly 13 stone i haven't weighed myself in a while) anyway im just wandering if there is anyway you cans suggest of losing weight, i cant really do diets because its hard to do if you eat with other people and aparently its not a good idea if your to young, i think my main issue is i eat to fast and i usually eat slightly to much any ideas? lately ive been just trying to eat 2 thirds of what i would regularly eat but thats about it (dont say stop eating fast food because i hardly ever eat it)
It's more about what you eat, rather than the overall quantity. I think that's a good place to start.

Physical activity is very good for a young body. Do some more of that, too. Push yourself, homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_thang3298 View Post
Do you workout at all right now.If so what is your workout routine. My Wife and I both heavy lift and Cosplay.We try to portray the character in fitness style as well as attitude.I would suggest you start lifting weights if you want to lose weight and track your macros.I can help more if you let me know what your goal is.Also can check My wife and I's page out on face book at Fit DBC Cosplay.Thanks
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I'm no Pro Nutritionist and I think it's great that you guys are dedicated to the hobby in this manner.

I don't think anyone under 16 should be spending any serious time in any weight room. Until you're 17, or if you're required to do it for high school athletics, I think you should really just be letting your body grow naturally - coupled with a good diet and regular exercise of course. I love the gym, too....But, I'm not sure I'd recommend that here.

I just don't think the body is meant to grow in that way when you're still that young. There are other areas of growth it should be focusing on more.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 03-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
rndmguy

I don't see what's the difference between the arbitrary numbers of 16 and 17 when its entirely dependent on the individual with how they will grow. Ripping up your muscles by stimulating them is pretty natural growth.

If you can start lifting when you're younger than go and do it, because you're likely going to regret not doing it as you get older. Get stronger while your hormones are still going crazy and don't look back.

With that said, unless you're eating like 193948849 calories over maintenance, I wouldn't worry so much about cutting your portions. Unless you're like super obese, if I were you, I would eat between 10-15% above my maintenance calories and lift heavy. You're young, you need to be eating a lot to grow. Most important though is finding out how much is just enough so you can minimize the fat gain along with the strength gains.

And while eating fast can have a minor impact...It's not much. I eat faster than most people, like two burritos from Chipotle in 3 minutes fast. However. I have the discipline to say that I'm at my calorie limit for a meal and don't eat any more. I sit there and be patient, or I just drink water. If you think eating slower will help then you can try it, but ultimately it's all about becoming disciplined.

So my advice to you:

Figure out your maintenance calories then eat slightly above them
If you haven't, fix your sleep schedule to get a minimum of 6 hours of sleep
Go lift heavy(relative to your ability level). Focus on squats, deadlifts, and the bench press.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Essentially what ihelia said, but I would like to emphasize eating lots and lots of veggies. Eat foods as close to their natural form as possible (I'm not saying don't eat processed stuff, just minimize it. Ex: real potato rather than chips).
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
sylgard

sorry for the late response, but im interested, a lot of people seem to be saying lifting weights is good for fat loss, is that true? i mean of course it takes effort but i generally thought it was exclusively for building muscle not actually loosing weight

also what sort would you suggest as i cant go to the gym everyday so itd have to be something i could do at home ( with the right equipment obviously)
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Muscle burns more calories than fat (not a significant amount more, but it is more), makes you stronger, gives you better posture, and numerous other things. Also, the more muscle you gain, the more you'll want to use it.

For strength training, there are all kinds of stuff you can do. Lift anything. I've heard milk jugs, concrete blocks, kids, etc. being lifted. If you want, you can get a resistance band set which will increase the resistance (like adding more weight, but not actually adding more weight). Also, body-weight exercises are awesome.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote