Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Boston

View Poll Results: What should I name my panel?
Cosplay Safety's Cautionary Tales 0 0%
Cautionary Tales of Cosplay 0 0%
Chemicals, Contacts, and Creepers: Cosplay Cautionary Tales 3 42.86%
From Scissors to Sutures: Cosplay Cautionary Tales 3 42.86%
Cosplay Disasters and How to Prevent Them 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Gale
All the world's a stage

Help me rename my cosplay panel!

Hi all! I will be presenting a panel this year involving testimonials from real cosplayers on safety-related disasters they've encountered and how YOU can prevent the same occurrences in your costuming. Some examples include a girl who stabbed herself in the leg due to lack of sleep, another who almost went blind after improper contact lens care, stolen luggage, chemical burns, inappropriate creepers, and even my friend who got a temporary bald spot from anchoring her heavy wig badly!

Unfortunately, my working title didn't work out, so I would like your help in selecting a new title for this panel. Which of the poll options above most piques your iterest? Which would you be most likely to attend if you saw it in the program book, but also not walk out on for misrepresentation of the content? Or do you have a new suggestion of your own?

Thanks! And, whatever title wins out, I hope to see many of you at my panel in May!

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Cosplay Safety's Cautionary Tales
- Sounds like a panel hosted by the con staff themselves. Doesn't really stick out to me, and for some reason, "Cosplay safety's" adding possession, and it just sounds plain strange to me looking at it.

Cautionary Tales of Cosplay
- Seems nice and basic, but what kind of cautionary tales?This sounds strictly like a panel that would tell stories based on like.... how bad walking around with a train on an escalator could be. Doesn't sound like an awareness thing moreso than story-time of bad possible mishaps.

Chemicals, Contacts, and Creepers: Cosplay Cautionary Tales
- Many people do, or have contemplated contacts before. Any cosplayer who wants to go all out has at one point even THOUGHT about it, even if they blew it off two seconds later. If this panel is to show contact hazards and such, it might get people interested.

From Scissors to Sutures: Cosplay Cautionary Tales
- Sounds interesting, but when I quickly look at it, I kind of think it is going to be a hands-on panel... of course, if you read the title, you know it isn't.

Cosplay Disasters and How to Prevent Them
- Sounds too much like an education panel than really anything fun. Of course, the panel idea IS, but this kind of name isn't going to stick out to anyone really.

Having "Tales" in the title definitely helps I think. When you show a warning in the title, then say "Tales", it piques interest in these "Tales" that were ... well, bad or malfunctioned.

It's your panel, but I would definitely build it on something with "Tales" there to gauge the story-interested people, but as well, try to specify what you are teaching in the topic as well, like how the third one says "Contacts"... it would most likely generate those interested in contacts, you know?.... For that reason alone, your third option of the three gets my vote.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Gale
All the world's a stage

Thank you for your thorough response! Cosmetic lens safety really is my torch, and why I started the Cosplay Safety Project. As you might imagine, the fine line I am trying to walk here is keeping people interested but also teaching them important information (a lot of which, sadly, most cosplayers think they are above learning). If I use the Chemicals, Contacts, (etc) one I will probably change it to "Creeps," as per another suggestion I've gotten, which does flow better to my ear as well. Hope to see you in May!

Unread 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Thank you for your thorough response! Cosmetic lens safety really is my torch, and why I started the Cosplay Safety Project. As you might imagine, the fine line I am trying to walk here is keeping people interested but also teaching them important information (a lot of which, sadly, most cosplayers think they are above learning). If I use the Chemicals, Contacts, (etc) one I will probably change it to "Creeps," as per another suggestion I've gotten, which does flow better to my ear as well. Hope to see you in May!
How about "Chemicals, Contacts, and Creeps... OH MY!"

*Don't take that seriously.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Gale
All the world's a stage

Thanks everyone for your help thus far. I am now doing a run-off vote between the two most popular names on my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/questions/355836357854784/