Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Unread 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Ink
We're all mad here!

Need help with this costume

I'm in the process of making a Night Elf costume for London Expo in May. So far it's going pretty well, and I have a plan for how to make almost every bit of the costume. Except for the back of the I'll-call-it-a-skirt.

From what I can tell from the picture above it doesn't look the same at the back as it does at the front; since nothing can be seen hanging down behind her it would appear to be shorter. It also have to be wider, obviously, or you'd end up showing half your bum on both sides. Now here's my problem: how does it actually look? Are there any pictures? If not, how can I improvise? Can the bits at her hips be connected all they way around the back and make a sort of half-skirt-half-loincloth?

In fact, that would be an good way to solve the second problem, which is: if the back and the front should be similar, how should I make the decorations? I was going to use craft foam on the front, mainly to give the whole thing some structure to ensure it doesn't expose me in the slightest breeze (and because I like the effect it created, with the design overlapping itself), but that's not something I want to sit on.

How've other people done it? If I did do a full, plain back (with only silver at the edges and that diamond-pattern) would people just shake their heads and tell me it's wrong? I want to do it as accurately as possible, so if anyone actually has a picture of them from the back, please do tell!

Thanks for any suggestions
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Frekki

I don't recognize the armor from in-game, and I doubt anyone would notice if a few details were off. I think your idea of making it a half-skirt would work pretty well. If you don't want to sit on craft foam (its not that uncomfortable but it might dent or bend funny), then perhaps try to weigh down the edge of the skirt so it stays down? It looks like there is a nice trim that goes along the bottom, so that should help keep the skirt in place.

If you do end up using craft foam, I'd cover it in fabric. That way it has stability, but it will also have a nice texture. Th detailing might be hard because you want it to be flexible. Maybe try something like a trim that can be found at any fabric store. You can spray paint it to be the right silver color. If not, you can cut craft foam to form the curves and tapers, seal it, and paint it. Or cover that in silver fabric, that's how I did some of the detailing on my Alexstrasza costume.
Frekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Ink
We're all mad here!

You're right, it's not found in-game. It's from the vanilla trailer.

Yeah, I didn't want to sit on it because I'd be scared of ruining it. I'll make it a half-skirt, I think. As for the craft-foam, I only meant to do the decorations on the skirt using that, not the whole thing. I should have specified

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can't piece together thing thing one way or another.
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote