Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
ArcaneSpringbrd

Crossplaying Scarlett O'Hara

Well, after being afraid to do it, I've decided I'm going to do something I've always wanted to do and crossplay Scarlett O'Hara.

I'm either going to do the prayer dress or instead do Pauline's purple ballgown from Champagne Charlie:

http://youtu.be/uT47H9hRVmU

I'm planning on doing this at either GenCon or Cos & Effect next year, though that might not be doable since I need to lose a fair bit of weight before I want to do this. That's progressing though.

But I know two things: I want to go all out on this, including the corset, and the hoop needs to be 'sufficiently' large since that'll make my waist look smaller, plus I am a bit taller.

Looking forward to this!
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
PoodleBoy

Either character would be a fun, yet challenging, crossplay to do! Are you going to make the costume yourself or are you going to have it custom made for you? Either way, keep us posted of your progress! Looks like a LOT of fabric (lovely taffeta for Pauline's gown!) and a large hoop! Should be amazing once its all done!
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
ArcaneSpringbrd

I'm planning on doing the costume myself. Pauline's gown actually looks pretty simple and I've got patterns on the way that hopefully will have some good instructions. Plus I have two friends in the SCA (non-local unfortunately) that I can ask for tips.

Actually originally I was going to have one of them do the costume herself, but I don't think I can afford that.

I am planning on getting the corset custom made though from a real corsetiere.
Unread 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
ArcaneSpringbrd

Are there any makeup/wig issues I should think about when doing this?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
ohairas

Are you familiar with Traybuff on youtube? She has done the Prayer ruffle gown, (and did it properly with bias cut circles vs. gathered strips for the layers). She has a video just for the wig, turned out very nice I think. As for applying full coverage make up on males, there are some really great videos on youtube for that as well. This is a nice tute for brows, tho you may have to cover yours first? But at least you could draw the one raised Scarlett brow higher than the other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckySU577lNY&list=FL7gK7gUWlYpQhlAHFMDklLA& index=23
This is a great tute for concealing your own brows, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3D-afzKEc
There are also human hair brows that you could apply over your concealed ones~ they look pretty good and start about about $50.
Nikki
ohairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
ohairas

Are you familiar with Traybuff on youtube? She has done the prayer dress and has great tutorials on the gown and the wig. (has an account here as well). Also, she did the layers of the gown using bias cut circles instead of gathered strips, as it should be. (easier and will help keep fabric cost down).
I also recommend youtuber petrilude for tutes on makeup (coverage and contouring), and covering your brows. Would be great to be able to do the Scarlett arched brow~
There are also human hair brows that would be good once your own brows are shaved or concealed.
If you have any other questions about the prayer gown, please ask. I have studied the gowns for 15 years and am extremely detail conscious. While the prayer gown was not one of my "must haves" from the film, I do have a nice version. It is not completely screen accurate but it also only cost about $150, lol!
ohairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
VickyAmis
Banned

I think it will be funny. I am looking forward to it.
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohairas View Post
Are you familiar with Traybuff on youtube? She has done the prayer dress and has great tutorials on the gown and the wig. (has an account here as well). Also, she did the layers of the gown using bias cut circles instead of gathered strips, as it should be. (easier and will help keep fabric cost down).
I also recommend youtuber petrilude for tutes on makeup (coverage and contouring), and covering your brows. Would be great to be able to do the Scarlett arched brow~
There are also human hair brows that would be good once your own brows are shaved or concealed.
If you have any other questions about the prayer gown, please ask. I have studied the gowns for 15 years and am extremely detail conscious. While the prayer gown was not one of my "must haves" from the film, I do have a nice version. It is not completely screen accurate but it also only cost about $150, lol!
Yes, I've actually been in touch with her so I could find out what her height was (I love the proportions that she had for her gown). Thank you for the references!

Also, pleased to make your aquaintance. I recognized your gown from photos I've seen at scarlettonline.com.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
ArcaneSpringbrd

An update

I'd love to say I've made progress with this, but I hven't.

My weight loss isn't going the way I want it too (achilles tendonitis killed my gym before Christmas). I do have the hoops for making the hoop skirt though and once my work dies down I'll probably get that going.

Problem is the corset. Was planning to get it once I'd lost some weight but that hasn't happened. Debating if I should just DO IT anyways.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneSpringbrd View Post
Problem is the corset. Was planning to get it once I'd lost some weight but that hasn't happened. Debating if I should just DO IT anyways.
Life is too short to wait for "just the right time", go ahead with your plans and make it work for the way you are right now. Later, after you've lost weight, you'll have a lot of fun altering your cosplay for your new body and remembering how much fun you had with it the first time out.
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
ArcaneSpringbrd

I have to admit some trepidation about doing it, but I think it's largely because I'm just old enough for such things to be taboo and it's hard breaking those. :-)

But you're right. If I was on my deathbed I'd have huge regrets about it.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
ArcaneSpringbrd

Well, I've ordered the wig (Elizabeth from Arda Wigs). Next is to get makeup and practice that, and construct the hoop skirt (which is going to be about 200 inches in circumference).

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
ArcaneSpringbrd

Well, I got my wig from Arda Wigs today:

http://arda-wigs.com/products/elizabeth

However, when trying it on I look more like this:

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploa.../05/hurley.jpg

I'm not sure if it's because the wig needs to be styled, or my head is too big, or I really need to see it once I get a handle on crossplay makeup. But it definitely is more /O\ than |0|

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll

Last edited by ArcaneSpringbrd : 04-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
Chryso

I can't wait to see this. When you're comfortable, please post some progress pictures. I'm getting quite excited just reading your updates

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
ArcaneSpringbrd

Once I get a 'reasonable' handle on the makeup, I will. Last night was the first time I remotely considered taking a picture, but I'd experimented with the red lipstick trick to cover the beard and...well...I think I used too much. :-)

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll