Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
chiigusa
House Lannister

Cersei Lannister--Lion Detail

Hey all,

I'm working on Cersei's red gown, which she wore for a few episodes in season 2 of Game of Thrones.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is this large Lannister lion detail on the sides of her skirt. Partly because it's so hard to find a good photo of it (I've enlisted the help of people going to the GoT exhibit, so hopefully I'll have better references soon) and partly because I don't have any embroidery experience.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on an alternative to embroidering the entire thing? A friend of mine suggested paint, but I'm afraid that might look messy.

For your reference, sorry for graininess, but the lion detail is just so hard to get a good screencap of:

http://i.imgur.com/7DtOBRq.jpg (this one is a bit too big to post, but you can sort of see the sides of the design here in better detail)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
chiigusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

If you could get a really good screen cap, you could print it on iron-on transfer paper, and iron it on to a fabric panel. You'd have to print it across a couple of sheets and carefully align them. Might be tough to get a high enough quality image, though.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
chiigusa
House Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syagria View Post
If you could get a really good screen cap, you could print it on iron-on transfer paper, and iron it on to a fabric panel. You'd have to print it across a couple of sheets and carefully align them. Might be tough to get a high enough quality image, though.
Ahhh yeah, that's definitely a good idea! I know that I have some good references of the Lannister lion itself, just without all the details from the actual skirt. So, I could potentially just do that.

Thanks for the idea!
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

What about some beading and metallic embroidery floss? Nothing too fancy, just to add some of the richness you see. If you mean the NYC exhibit, I'm going on the 1st and will definitely be taking pics if it's allowed

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Chikkijet

Got Sonera pics today unfortunately they have pinned the sleeves at the sides so can't see much of the lion... will upload what I have though when I get to my laptop

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

http://www.jedielfqueen.com/costumes...y/examples.htm

You could consider this technique - it mimics embroidery style and texture with fabric paint. There's a link to the tutorial on the examples page. It might be time consuming, but I think it could get some really pretty results, especially if you can get a large format example of it.

You could even use it to enhance a transfer if you wanted to, along with some beading, I think it would look quite nice. I'd suggest against doing it as actual embroidery, especially by hand. It is really time consuming.

Also - google some images of Rampant Lion or Lannister Lion - you may find that there is a high quality image out there already that you could use as a template. The Rampant Lion is a common heraldry symbol, and there are some really similar designs to that one.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor)
Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Chikkijet

Hi guys,

not sure if they will be much help but I uploaded some of the pics to my gallery. I had to reduce them to upload but have the originals as well. Let me know if you need a bigger pic of any.

First pic here

Cersei Red Gown

Last edited by Chikkijet : 04-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
chiigusa
House Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
http://www.jedielfqueen.com/costumes...y/examples.htm

You could consider this technique - it mimics embroidery style and texture with fabric paint. There's a link to the tutorial on the examples page. It might be time consuming, but I think it could get some really pretty results, especially if you can get a large format example of it.

You could even use it to enhance a transfer if you wanted to, along with some beading, I think it would look quite nice. I'd suggest against doing it as actual embroidery, especially by hand. It is really time consuming.

Also - google some images of Rampant Lion or Lannister Lion - you may find that there is a high quality image out there already that you could use as a template. The Rampant Lion is a common heraldry symbol, and there are some really similar designs to that one.
This is very helpful, thanks so much! Very cool technique.

And yeah, I definitely do not have the skill set to embroider it all--twice! I already have fabric paint, so I will give this a try on some scrap fabric.