Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Unread 01-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival 2013

The grand parade is April 21 this year. I missed it last year, so I'm hoping to go back this year! I also haven't been in the parade itself in ages, just performing at the talent show instead, so that might be nice for 2013.

You can sign up for the anime costume section & contest of the parade at Japan Video at San Francisco's Japantown, though I don't know if they've started taking entrants yet or not! Anyone know?

Website for the festival is here: http://www.nccbf.org/

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

The plan is to attend and probably walk, as I am "retired", as it were. Not sure yet what I want to wear. Maybe I'll just be lazy and pull Oscar back out, unless it's wretchedly hot. Hot + Oscar's wool coat = Dany ded on the street from heat exhaustion. ><

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

There's a chance I'll miss this again this year. D: We'll see.

I want to see your Oscar, Dany!

Unread 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
There's a chance I'll miss this again this year. D: We'll see.

I want to see your Oscar, Dany!
Lookit the icon!! KIDDING

So funny, I was just talking to D about wearing Emeraldas instead. I haven't worn her in a while, but that wig is such high maintenance.

Decisions decisions... it will potentially depend on weather and shoes. Oscar needs a new pair as the used equestrian boots I have been using are just not working anymore.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Unread 02-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Turns out I won't be going after all. I will be on a plane! But I am looking forward to photos.

Unread 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
HezaV
Tsuki ni Kawatte

Just as a piece of information, I called and it looks like they'll be accepting applications this coming Saturday!

Love,

Heza
HezaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I attend every year as an on looker since I am from the bay. This year I will be doing a really simple Rocket Grunt for fun. Same as my icon right now. My advice to anyone who hasn't gone, bring a water bottle, you'll need it. Even if it turns out to be cold outside, once you get into the mall area it's death!

If anyone sees me feel free to say hello! :3
Sayaka (Puella Magi).......Progress 5%
Haruhi (OHSHC)..............Progress 100%
Ruby (RWBY).................Progress 80%

Cons for 2014:
Sac Anime Winter, AOD, NorCal Gathering Spring, Kraken Spring, EBRC Picnic, Sac Anime Summer, NorCal Gathering Summer, Yaoi Con, Japan EXPO, Jtown Magical Girls Gathering, Kraken Winter

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Squib

Contest is Cancelled. :/

You can only sign up for the parade this year. No contest sadly... the manager isn't even sure they can get a float this year. They're doing a raffle instead, and giving all participants a raffle ticket. There will also be a fashion show after the parade for those who are interested/are selected.
Squib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squib View Post
You can only sign up for the parade this year. No contest sadly... the manager isn't even sure they can get a float this year. They're doing a raffle instead, and giving all participants a raffle ticket. There will also be a fashion show after the parade for those who are interested/are selected.
What a disappointment..

http://www.worldofanime760.com/post/...place-with#_=_
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I don't get why no float = no contest, if that's the reasoning. There was a contest for years before the float was added. Oh well.

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
I don't get why no float = no contest, if that's the reasoning. There was a contest for years before the float was added. Oh well.
I'm guessing it's because Japan Video figured if they couldn't get a float/floats it would be pretty difficult for the winners to walk from Civic Center all the way to Japan Center when the years before they'd get to ride on the float and wave to the people. Riding on the float was the incentive that made cosplayers step-up their game each year and try their best to win a spot, and have fun overall.

Mecha, Kamen Rider/Power Rangers, giant mascot/plushie costumes, costumes involving giant props/weapons, etc. are examples of costumes that probably wouldn't be able to do the long walk in-costume.

But yeah.. oh well.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 03-20-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I feel like that's silly though. I know some great costumes have won before, but entering something crazy assuming you'll win so you won't have to walk is kinda... It just rubs me the wrong way.

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
I feel like that's silly though. I know some great costumes have won before, but entering something crazy assuming you'll win so you won't have to walk is kinda... It just rubs me the wrong way.
I never understood why people would enter things that would not allow for walking if it came to it. Too much risk, not enough guarantee that you would not be left having to figure out what to do, or skipping the parade entirely due to sheer lack of ability to make the trip.

But that is just my opinion, of course. And ya know what they say about those XD

2013 Events:

Unread 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

I do know that some cosplayers in the past have shown up at the Civic Center in-costume, posed for pictures, and then headed back to Japantown w/o walking in the parade. While I'm not-sure if they entered the costume-contest or not, I know they didn't walk in the parade because I always walk the parade route and take pictures.

I'm looking forward this year to the CBFP regardless of the removal of the costume-contest and the float(s.)

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 04-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #15
OoTLink
Hero in disguise!

I was just thinking about this! Now I live even further away, but I have some friends that would (probably) love to go, and that's some motivation.

Hmmmmmmmmm......
OoTLink is offline   Reply With Quote