Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
RighteousKarma

Reinforcing lightweight material?

I'm doing a gijinka Mewtwo cosplay for Anime North this year, but I've run into a bit of a problem. The tail turned out a fair bit heavier than I would have liked, but there's no way to make it lighter without completely ruining the shape. The material of the jacket is a lot thinner than I thought it would be when I bought it - bought it online, and the fabric looked thicker in the picture; go figure - so the tail is doing some serious pulling. I tried reinforcing the material with thick fleece patches, but that was a no-go, as you can see in the linked picture below.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse343c660.jpg

(Yes, that is Madagascar 2 on my TV x3 I can't work without background noise, and I actually had never seen that movie before. Didn't end up getting to finish it, unfortunately.)

Clearly, what I'm doing isn't working. What I need is some sort of strong, unforgiving material that won't allow the tail to weigh the jacket down by that much, but I can't think of anything to try, and I'm hesitant to experiment too much, because I don't want to damage the jacket. It was kind of expensive, so ruining it is not in my best interests, as I absolutely cannot afford to replace it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm at a loss here, and I can't afford to let myself keep procrastinating, or before I know it, it'll be a week from the convention and I still won't have fixed this.
RighteousKarma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Have you considered creating a belt to go underneath it? Secure it to where the tail is connected to the jacket and run it under the jacket around your waist. Then the weight of the tail will be on you rather than the jacket.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
RighteousKarma

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean...could you explain in a little more detail, please?
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Musouka_Ningyou

A belt underneath is a great idea.

Maybe this explanation will make more sense:
The tail remains on the outside of the garment
On the inside of the garment, where the tail attaches to the outside, you sew a loop of fabric large enough to go around your waist
This fabric will either have to be stretchy (but sturdy enough to hold the tail, like that thick elastic they use as the waistband of skirts) or have a buckle of some type (I'd do a hook system in the front, like a bra closure, so it is flat)
This fabric goes around your waist, like a belt, underneath the garment, so it doesn't show
That way, the weight of the tail is being supported by the belt around your waist instead of by the fabric on the back of the garment

Does that make more sense? I can draw you a really bad diagram in Paint if you think it will help (I know that some people are more visual and can't figure out verbal directions like these very well)
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

I've made two tails with creating a back plast to them the loop around and under belt.

The first one the tail is both hot glued and sewn down to the plat for support.
This first one on wearing the tail belt over the kimono but under the Obi.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3296199/
You can see the plate here on this Rin tail.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3204898/

The loop hook around the belt you wear under your clothes.

Costume-Con 32
Jack ~ Pandora Hearts
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons and cosplay tutorials!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 03-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
RighteousKarma

I think I'm going to need that diagram, Musouka_Ningyou, I'm one of those visual people. I understand what the parts are for, it's figuring out how to make them and how it all goes together that's the tough part. I also don't quite understand how the belt thing helps when the bottom of the tail is so large, and what do I do about the top part? It's still going to cause problems even if I do figure out the belt thing for the bottom.
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
RighteousKarma

Gonna give this a quick bump up, still haven't quite figured out the belt, and I'm very interested to know about how it works.
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
RighteousKarma

Going to bump this up again...I seriously need help with this, guys. I still don't know how the belt works, and I can't come up with anything else.
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
huskies4ever

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1364919883

I drew a crude thing of what I think some people mean. If your tail is already sewn onto your fabric, then what Musouka_Ningyou said was to glue the middle piece TO THE FABRIC that is sewn to the tail.
huskies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
RighteousKarma

Thanks, but I actually decided to go back to my original idea for this costume and bought a straitjacket. >> Canvas material won't have any give to it, or at least not much, so it won't pull and give me the same trouble.