Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Macky-San

Looking for critiques

Hello just about a year ago I just started getting into Cosplay photography.
I wanted to get some critiques on my recent photoshoot I did with a friend, I'm still on the learning curves of Cosplay/Portrait photography. I've done other pictures mostly, nature and such.
I've gotten a few critiques from friends and other local people in the area but they can only critique so much. I need improvements for future photoshoots I'll be doing with friends and at cons

Macky-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

- I like the posing, the compositions, and the eye contact. I'm not familiar with that particular character, but it seems like both of you did a good job of portraying a cute but slightly bookish student type.

- Exposure is not too bad, maybe a bit overexposed in the third one. The skin seems to be appropriately exposed in all three, which is the most important thing. I usually like to overexpose portraits of women by about a third to half a stop, as it's an easy way to clean up minor skin imperfections and texture. However, in the third photo you're starting to lose detail in the top of the wig, and the blown highlights at the ceiling are more than a little distracting.

- Overall tonal contrast is a bit lacking for my personal taste. Blacks and darks are a little washed-out, so the overall image is lacking "pop." I'm on my crummy work laptop monitor right now so I can't really gauge white balance - it looks off but I know this monitor is severely off calibration.

- By far the biggest problem is lack of sharpness. Looks like you missed focus, or maybe had a smidge of camera shake? Especially in the first one, the eyes are very soft which is an absolute killer (and not the good kind) when it comes to portraiture. When you're using a wide aperture for a narrow DOF, it's very easy to miss focus on the eyes.

- If I had to nitpick, the wrinkles on her skirt in the third image are a little distracting.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Macky-San

Alrighty Thank you! I'll have it noted on the next photoshoot I have.
Actually I think that might on my end of the editing, because after going through the process of editing there was a lot of graininess to the picture. So what I did was I removed the noise to it and I think that's where it lost it's sharpness.

Oh another thing a friend of mine told me I had too much contrast on my last photoshoot I did with my same friend here, so this is where I got a little too careful with the contrasting which I think you might be right looking a little dull.
Thank you for the Critiques, I'll have them noted with me.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Patcave

Find a way to get some catch-lights in her eyes (even a reflector might work if you don't do flash).
Patcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
fotaku

I love the bokeh, especially in the last one. However, I'd stop down your glass just a bit to make sure she's in focus better.

IMO you did a very good job with composition.

My guess is you were using available light. And if you were working with graininess it might mean you underexposed your photos. Try a reflector or off-camera flash to help with the exposure and like patcave said catchlights.

Do you have a website or DA account where you'll post more photos?
fotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
aznsp3c
Aznsp3c

Hi~
Great lighting!

I'm actually not familiar with the character but i do agree with Patcave. Get the eyes to reflect more. Especially if the eyes are other than black.

Also, I like the compositions and the posing are good... but maybe make it more...spontaneous. Or if anything exaggerate the posing more. I'd like you to really hang onto that rail in the first picture. Really tilt that head in the second picture. And actually look like you're going to take out a book in the last picture.

It might be just me, but I like documentary pictures... But all in all, I think that will really impact the pictures more.
aznsp3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
Macky-San

http://macky-sama.deviantart.com/

There's my DA account, I'm gradually getting there
And Thanks for all the tips! I just gotta get my hands on a reflector
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
brebaker
Photographer

Not sure what you shot with. But if digital, make sure you set that focus point on the eyes and the re-compose. That first image is slightly out of focus on the eyes.
And like others have said, even a flash light can produce a beautiful catch light in her eyes!
Your composition is spot on.
Would like to see different lighting styles- maybe start using natural light. The fluorescent lighting in the last two makes the image seem flat. Maybe it's just me, but that type of lighting has a "stale" look in a way.
And also good job on that bokeh! :3
-50mm f/1.8
-Canon 580 EXII
brebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
natsuo
Wonderflexing

OMG KANON!!!!! You did a good job with the photos, they fit the character well.

On her part, I would say she needed to iron her skirt! But really great photos!

Like me on facebook!
www.facebook.com/natsuocosplay

Check me out on worldcosplay!
http://worldcosplay.net/member/51186/

Matsuricon 2013 costume plans:
Rika - Digimon Tamers
Blackrose - .hack
Popola - Nier

Ohayocon 2014 costume plans:
Mary - .hack//Quantum
Sasha - Attack on Titan
Kaine - Nier