Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Haku23

Best material for a Batwoman cape

Hi there everyone! I'm starting my first foray into comic cosplay next year(I like to plan things way in advance, what can I say?) and I was wondering what you all thought would be the best fabric to make Batwoman's cape from? I really would prefer not to use satin because I don't like the look of it in pictures...So, any ideas?

Also, while I'm at it, I'm going to be making her mask myself as well and I've heard that it's difficult to see through white fabric, is this true? I won't have a handler or anything so seeing is kind of important but I'd really like to make the costume as accurate as possible so if you've got any suggestions for that I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Unread 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Gee2

For the cape you may want to try a latex fabric or a wet look or metallic spandex/lycra. For the mask you may want to try the metal mesh used for molding small projects. It's able to take paint and allows for good vision, and easy to attach to a mask or just forego covering the eyes altogether.
Gee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Haku23

Thanks so much for your advice! : D I love your costume in your icon by the way, really amazing!
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
switchandrogyny

It took 7 yards of fabric to make my Batgirl cape. While impressive in hindsight a poor financial choice. I used silk fabric and cheap yellow fabric. If I could do it again I would use cheap silk bedsheets for the red and black(for Batwoman in your case) Bed sheets are a lot cheaper than raw fabric. At least where I am.
switchandrogyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Suprboy34
Suprboy34

Batwoman cape and mask idea

You could also look into maybe using a vynil, as they come in a lot of different textures. If you're wanting a cape that doesn't flutter a lot from wind or when you walk this would be good as it has some weight to it. I'm assuming you're going with a black outer color with a red inner liner, so you might need to use another lighter fabric for that as using 2 layers of vynil would be a lot of weight.

You could also use the vynil for the mask, and use 2 layers of vynil for this and sandwich a thin layer of plastic between the layers. Depending on the plastic, you could use a heat gun and form it exactly how you want.
Suprboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Ainam

With my cape I ended up using matte lining fabrics and they ended up flowing beautifully and was a bit better on the wallet.
ruby rose
kyokou

Ainam is offline   Reply With Quote