Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
the.footpad

Will this prosthetic work?

So I've been looking around for a way to make my brow look more heavy for a photo-shoot..... the only way I've figured out to do that is to use a prosthetic one... I've found this one and made a comparison shot. If this is put on and blended properly, should it work?
the.footpad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Looks like it would b the closest!
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

You can also use highlight and shadow techniques here to simulate the facial structure. This works particularly well in photoshoots, where you are in control of the angles you are seen at.

But prosthetics are great fun too. If you want to give it a shot, I say go for it.

Keep in mind, you're gonna lose your eyebrows with that prosthetic. While you could draw them on with an eyebrow pencil, you may have better luck applying false eyebrows. Either buy them, or cut a pair out from a false mustache. Regardless, you usually need to do some customization (trimming, shapping, thinning) to achieve the right effect.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
the.footpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
You can also use highlight and shadow techniques here to simulate the facial structure. This works particularly well in photoshoots, where you are in control of the angles you are seen at.

But prosthetics are great fun too. If you want to give it a shot, I say go for it.

Keep in mind, you're gonna lose your eyebrows with that prosthetic. While you could draw them on with an eyebrow pencil, you may have better luck applying false eyebrows. Either buy them, or cut a pair out from a false mustache. Regardless, you usually need to do some customization (trimming, shapping, thinning) to achieve the right effect.
The highlights and shadows idea is what I'm going to try first... if all else fails, then I'm going with a prosthetic... but i don't want to waste money if i don't have too!
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
the.footpad

Does anyone think that the prosthetic will make it look TOO large? Or is that just something I've gotten in my head all of the sudden?
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

no.. i was actually thining it may be too little... but ive seen that piece in use and it'll be perfect!
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Forest
Fan Art Addict

Looking at the pic of the prosthetic, I think it looks ideal. It's got the deeper wrinkles around the eye area and the heaviness looks extremely close to the reference. The only way to know for sure is to give it a go.

Verdatum makes an excellent point that the prosthetic will obscure your brows, but I can't add anymore to their advice on that score.

Good luck!!
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
the.footpad

Okay, I definitely think I'm going to get it now.
Another pretty serious question though, I have to trim some of the nose portion off, how can i trim it to where i can still blend it in with latex?
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
twiterpert
Fiend or Foe?

It looks like it's pretty thin on the bridge of the nose, so you ought to be able to trim it there and shave the excess down (cuticle trimmers are pretty handy for this). Then just use layers of liquid latex to blend it, as you said.
twiterpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Sorry I didn't see this until now. You must be careful when trimming prosthetics. If you trim to a point where the edge becomes too thick, it becomes very difficult to blend naturally onto your face. You can build a new thin edge by adding liquid latex, but to get it right, it is a slow and methodical process. The mantra is to trim your prosthetics as little as possible.

When I do latex prosthetics, a lot of the trimming I will just do by tearing the thing. I hold it down with one finger, and stretch it to the tear point with my other hand. Repeated tearing in random angles helps get you a more "organic" edge which is easier to hide by blending and stippling.

I've never successfully been able to skive (thinning the edge by shaving it at an angle) latex, though I haven't tried in quite awhile. I probably wasn't using the sharpest of blades to try. I've never seen these cuticle cutters before, I might pick one up to play with it...

(these edge-thinning issues are a major reason why gelatine prosthetics are popular. They can be thinned with witch hazel to make the edges blend wonderfully onto the skin.)