Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
MouseUK

Cool Kirito (SAO) Coat/Jacket Pattern

HI,

Does anyone know a good place for Patterns?
I've spent a while searching the new for a pattern for a coat/jacket that is of a similar style to Kirito out of Sword Art Online with no luck so far.

Any ideas would be great?

Kirito.jpg

Thanks
MouseUK
MouseUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Zarai13

This pattern would be a good starting point:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-men...tumes.aspx#t-0
Zarai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yes use that pattern. You will need to alter it a little though (making it not have so much poof at the bottom, and adding the bias tape areas).
Also, most people would think to use piping for all that white, skip that headache and get white bias tape and use fabric glue (I used Unique Stitch).

I did mine on the ALO version but it's the same idea:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3339026/
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
MouseUK

Thanks for the Pattern Zarai13, and also JasonTerror for the info on White Bias Tape over Piping The wife did mention Piping when I was discussing ideas with her

Now only if I could talk her into dressing up like Lizbeth hehe :P
MouseUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Actually the pipling might look bad..Seeing as the white on the coat doesn't look rounded off, but flat, piping will not look right..And most people WILL say use piping, because that's the first thing people think of but they don't realize "it's a cartoon, reality doesn't matter in cartoons.." Meaning you can't just go with the first thing you think of, because chances are, with something that weird looking, you have to look at every possible option and pick what looks right..And piping does NOT look right..Bias tape DOES..lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Pardon the necro, but I figure I'd share some of my notes on using that pattern for this cosplay since I'm going thru the process of using it myself right now.

1. The pattern is too long. It will need shortened a good 4-6 inches from the hemline depending on who's wearing it. For me 4" was enough to be passable.

2. The back panels are too wide. If you sew them as they are, the back seam will envelope between your legs, whereas kirito wears it (mostly) flat. I found this one out the hard way after making the shell...and then had to carefully outline a new seam to blend in--I'm using a costume pleather that's close to upholstery vynil, and screwups are going to show.

2. The front and side front (1+1A and 2+2A) are also too much. The inside edge should rest somewhere near the middle of your legs. I cut the overlap from the front entirely, but that wasn't enough. Did you notice that in the artwork the front panel doesn't exist past the waistline? Guess what?! That's the fix! Since I already have the shell made according to the pattern dimensions, I'm stuck rolling the front panel under itself starting at the collar and ending at the seam with the side front right at the waistline. Do yourself a favor and make this change before hand, because major screwups can cost $50 and 6 hours to replace -.-

3. The back vent varies by artist--LN art (abec) shows a narrow, longer vent (about 8-10 inches) and the anime art shows a shorter (4 inches approx) wide vent. Either can be correct, but the patterns vent is outright wrong.

4. The artwork shows a yoke front, the pattern runs the front and side front panels straight to the shoulder seam. This can be changed by cutting off he pattern pieces at the appropriate height--just below the collar--and using the scrap pattern pieces to make a new pattern piece.

5. Not included on the pattern are the one (anime) or two (LN) breast pockets. You will have to approximate their placement, and I suggest sewing them as welt pockets covered with a flap. Tack the pocket bag to the inner liner of he coat (the liner is also an extra, the pattern doesn't even suggest one!)

6. I concur with the bias tape option. Piping just looks stupid, and with so much of it it would probably just bunch up, especially on the sleeves. I disagree with the color choice high--it's Actually a light grey, not white, according to source artwork. I also suggest getting enough material to cut the trim pieces separately from the shell. They aren't glued, they're "belts" that are bias bound and topstihed to the shell. As a bonus they can help edge finish the shell, facings, and liner.

7. Speaking of the facings...the pattern makes them full-sized copies of the outer panels. All well and good for the stock pattern but this is heavily modified! Personal suggestion is to make the facings only large enough to give a clean edge and to help bag a black sateen or costume satin liner in.

I'm still in the WIP stage of this, but the general ideas are what I plan on using. Oh, and for those of us who like to carry stuff...water bottles, cameras, etc...add a couple more pockets in he liner, at the front, near he waist line. They should stay relatively hidden...I think.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon

Last edited by KOTSProps : 03-24-2013 at 11:10 AM.
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote