Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.82 average.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #826
glacierwulf
Eater of pie

I'll be making an Oki fursuit. I've decided instead of using just foam, I'd use a resin base and just build it up with foam. I want him to look a bit realistic, so I'm thinking of using taxidermy eyes with this guy. I'm just debating on whether to give him pupils or not. He'll be a full suit with digitigrade legs and chest padding(I want him to have a more barrel shaped chest). The only thing I'm a bit stumped about is doing his "hair/mane" other than that I'm pretty much set. Just need to order the blue fur and start the process of sculpting my digitigrade.
glacierwulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #827
MakoStorm
Floridian Cosplayer

Hi all. I'm making a Chocobo for a convention coming next year. Mainly Rasler's chocobo from final fantasy xii to be exact. the suit will be a mix of feather fur, feathers and foam and is going to have digi legs however i'm at a total loss on how to do the beak. I want one that will move (open/close ect) but it needs to be hard and durable as well. so as to avoid damage from petting/wear/bumping/ect. any ideas anyone? Here's a reference pic to what im looking for http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...bo_artwork.jpg thanks!
MakoStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #828
WyrmsRoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoStorm View Post
Hi all. I'm making a Chocobo for a convention coming next year. ... I want one that will move (open/close ect) but it needs to be hard and durable as well. so as to avoid damage from petting/wear/bumping/ect. any ideas anyone? ... thanks!
I would suggest you sculpt your beak out of clay, make a silicon mold of it, then cast the beak out of resin. It's a process that gets spendy fast, though. A single standard mask is about $90 using this method, just for the resin, clay, and silicon.

Here is an excellent video on how the casting is done done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvW2ytWKEus
WyrmsRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #829
TheJoshuaCon

Hello!
I'm Joshua. Just made my account because I was browsing this thread as a guest to look for a method to do my first cosplay.
Technically, my first cosplay was as Scott Pilgrim about one year ago, but anybody who knows the character knows it's extremely simple.
Since my previous / first cosplay was devastatingly simple, I wanted to go all-out this time and do something fun and creative. So my goal is to go to New York Comic-Con this year (Oct. 10-13) as Marshtomp.

If you guys don't know the character, here are links to some art of it:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/259.png
http://www.serebii.net/art/th/259.png
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...mp_Back_IV.png

I read through a lot of the tutorials provided in the original post, however, I'm not sure exactly what method would be best for this costume. I'd like the costume to have structure to it.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs46/f/20...ngalover13.jpg
This is a costume somebody made of Mudkip, the pre-evolved form of Marshtomp.
This is also the best Mudkip costume I've seen. However, I don't exactly like the way it looks.
You can tell it's all sown. There's visibly empty space in the costume. I realize this could be fixed by making the costume's sizes to fit ones' body, but I don't want the costume to lose that cartoony-look.

I'd like it to appear more solid and structured, like a fursuit does:
http://dreamcainineproject.webs.com/...rsuit%2022.jpg
The whole mascot/fursuit type look appeals more to me, and generally looks better. However, I have a few issues.

Marshtomp as a character does not have fur, so I'm not sure if I should still develop it and put fur on it (the fur looks nice, regardless of whether or not he actually has it). Also, I'm just generally unsure of what method I should go about for the head and the forearms / shins (those would be sculpted for the cartoon-y feel, much like a fursuit's paws and feet), and the fins on the rear end / lower back. My original idea was to work with liquid latex, but since liquid latex ends up with a rubber-like consistency, I doubt it would hold up solid for the fins and head as a whole.
I'm also confused as to how to complete the costume after all the parts - head, paws, feet, etc. - are formed. Is the rest just a bodysuit with material on it? How do I get it to look like a completed fursuit or mascot costume? Perhaps I'm asking to many questions.

How should I go about all of this?
If anybody needs to ask questions to understand my dilemma, go ahead. I'm just generally looking for a few arrows in the right directions to make this come out as nearest to my vision for it as possible.

Thanks in advance!
TheJoshuaCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #830
axemnas

Right now I have two projects going in my head. They'll be my first ever fursuits. One is this wolf OC of mine Jonah. I'm going to have to search to fine austrailian shepherd blue though along with how to build it. I'm still debating on whether I should make it or have someone build it. Especially since I hold him so close t my heart.
My second one is Sly Cooper. My friend is going to make Carmalita Fox and we're planning to do a skit so I'm excited about making this one. Right now I'm in a bit of a delima of how to make him. I'll glance through the tutorials again but, I'm curious of other's input. I want him to turn out great. Then I'm kinda thinking of making the suit (eventually) also sub as one of my OC's. I'm on a budget but, I was interested in making it all foam. All the video tutorials for fursuit heads I've found on Youtube deal with the balaclava method at least to a degree. One I saw they glued directly onto the balaclava then another they glued a big strip of foam around it and cut out the eyes and where the snout goes to a degree and glued on from there. Both methods produced great results. Then I also saw one that MonkeyDFluffy (I think that's the channel) did with a balaclava.
What I know I want for sly is a full foam head if possible I looked at the balaclavas and I feel like the back of the head is just plain missing. I mean I realize he doesn't have a very pronounced back of the head but, still...
I also must say that a animated jaw is a must. Then I was wondering if anyone knew what type and how to put in a fan
I can already say as far as the entire suit is I'll need to do this in parts.
Here's the pic : http://www.acgventcast.ca/wp-content...perTRtitle.png
http://www.armchairempire.com/images...Y-COOPER-1.jpg
http://cdn1.gamepro.com/screens/105748/26471-15-2.jpg
Sorry about the quality. I'm going for the younger sly from the first game
For the body I was kinda curious of if anyone had any ideas? I was thinking about doing it all like a fur suit especially since I've heard the partials are hotter than the suits and I don't want the belt where the tail will most likely be connected to to show. Also how would I do his legs where it'd look all long and shredded like that with the black before the blue boots. Right now I guess his head and the legs are my biggest focus overall though.
Also I was wondering if anyone had a good method/ measuring method for making the battery's for cutting foam etc out or just drawing it on the fabric I made a monkey tail and it came out a bit irregular in parts.
I'm hoping to have it finished by this march- April ish. Thanks for whatever you can give me. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or just want to explain to assure I get it.

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░████░░████░ On Your Signature
░█░█░░░█░░░░ If You Role-play
░█░░█░░█░░░░

Last edited by axemnas : 11-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.
axemnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #831
axemnas

I've got another site to add. They also do tutorials the site's called Dreamvisionscreation. They've got a lot of neat LED, blacklight and UV related claws, whiskers, noses, pawpads, etc. so far I love the site though the LEDs aren't cheap for one that's on a budget though worth it if you save up. Then the UV and blacklight are more affordable. The eyes they have while you can't see threw them are made of resin and they have 3D follow you eyes that they will even design if you request one if you on't thin you could buy some and do them yourself. They even have permade resin blanks in the form of animal heads. They have the easiest moving jaw technique I've ever seen then you are only using foam to pad and customize it to your animal. I plan to hand sculpt my own mask though especially since I'm on a cloud of happiness after my first latex appliance ever succeeded as detailed as my sculpt. If I can do a hydrocal mould of my sculpt I'm sure I can do similar with resin. Though that'll probably be for my actual fursuit rather than the partial suit I'm making of sly cooper
http://www.dreamvisioncreations.com/tutorials.htm

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░████░░████░ On Your Signature
░█░█░░░█░░░░ If You Role-play
░█░░█░░█░░░░
axemnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #832
Heedless1

Hello everyone, I'm new to fursuits/ mascot cosplays but i am interested in making crash bandicoot for Anime North this year. What i'm wondering is is how i would go about a Half suit, I would only need it to cover the top half of my body. as someone with zero experience in this sort of thing of was thinking of making a wire frame out of 14 gauge wire and wrapping the foam around it, shaping the nose/ears and then furring it. any help would be appreciated
Heedless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #833
DJ-SakeBomb

Head construction help

I'm in serious need of help!

I've sculpted a round head from foam insulation, and another cosplay/costume site mentioned that you can use bondo to cover the foam and then sand it down. They also clearly stated that it would not eat through the foam.

I applied it to a portion and it is eating through it like CRAZY, and we just can't get it off...
I know we probably should have done a test on a scrap piece of foam but now it's too late. I need to know if there is something that can be used to fill to portion that has been eaten through, and then sanded back down to meet the surface of the rest of the head. The entire thing is spherical. Anything to save me from losing days of work and the money spent on the foam.
DJ-SakeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #834
DJ-SakeBomb

In serious need of help!

I'm working on a piece sculpted from foam insulation, and another cosplay/costuming website had said you could use bondo to coat and smooth the surface, but now it is EATING through the piece and we can't get it off. I realize we should have done a test spot, but now it's too late and I'm risking losing days of work >__<

Is there anything that could be used to fill the portion that has been eaten away and then sanded back down to be flush with the rest of the surface? The object is spherical. Any help is greatly appreciated!
DJ-SakeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote