Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Smile Ad Astra - April 5-7, 2013

Hey all!

Ad Astra is soon upon us, and thought I'd share some more about it. Sarcasm-hime, with other Ad Astra staff, have put together a costuming track which includes corsetry, steampunk props and gadgets, dressform making, electronics and props, silicone workshop, how to wear sari, and more. There's also a bunch of guests, tastings (such as cheese and chocolate), room parties, musical guests/concerts, Saturday night dance, free autograph sessions, Disney Karaoke [costumes encouraged!], and *free* Guest Meet & Greet Friday evening, which even includes Ad Astra's special Walking Tacos and other complimentary refreshments.

The Masquerade is a perfect place to trial-run your Anime North costume, as it's a smaller, cozier venue. Due to its smaller size, it's also perfect for first-time entrants who want to get a taste of the spotlight. Any type of costume from anime, scifi, historical, comic, movies, books, etc is welcome and all genres are greatly appreciated by the audience, so come show off your costumes, new or old (and if you don't have one but want to get up on stage, we have a Lighting Round where you are challenged to put together a costume in 1 hour from supplied materials). We also have received some prizes for winners, including 2 weekend passes to Anime North 2013. Plus, if you've been in the scene a few years you may have heard of Gord Rose and wondered who he is. This is your chance to find out, as he's coming to MC our Masquerade.

Pre-registration tickets are on sale on the website for $10 less their at-the-door price until the end of the month (March 31).
http://www.ad-astra.org/

Hope to see you there!

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
AzulaFan199
For the Horde.

So looking forward to AA this year. So want to meet Jim Butcher.
I'm going to have a skit for Masquerade too. Its been awhile since I did one.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

That's great, Azulafan! We're hoping people will have a great time there and are working on stepping things up, like the free meet & greet on Friday for attendees and prizes for the masquerade. I'm also stoked to meet Jim Butcher (saw him at Polaris years ago) and have to try and figure out what I'd like him to sign!

Unread 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
AzulaFan199
For the Horde.

Thanks for info Ele.
Just curious if anyone else would be interested in doing a Dresden Photo shoot at AA this year?
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

That would certainly be cool. I don't know how many ppl have Dresden based outfits, but there might be a few. Maybe post something on a communication board at the convention, seeing as they don't have an active forum of their own?

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
MDA
Destiny Productions

I wish I could go. But sadly my friend that I would have stayed with has his grandparents over until the 8th Hopefully I can next year. If not... someday...
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It looks really cool, but going doesn't appear to be possible for me for several YEARS at best (obviously not this year, got to scrape up for Costume-Con next year and for the next three school years I'll be a poor college student, and I already asked for a Polaris trip for graduation...). Damn.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Prisca712

Can't wait to return to Ad Astra for the 3rd year in a row!
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
AzulaFan199
For the Horde.

Ad Astra was amazing this year. Jim Butcher Rocked. I went into Masquerade and won. I cosplayed Toot Toot from Dresden files and Jim Butcher signed my ribbon and cert. which was so awesome. Looking forward to next yrs Con. Thanks to Con Con for a great Con.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Boreotheria
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulaFan199 View Post
I cosplayed Toot Toot from Dresden files and Jim Butcher signed my ribbon and cert.
Haha, I remember you, did you have tin pan armor? You looked great.

I am SO wearing a costume next year. I love Ad Astra. The closest I got to costuming was a corset and velvet jacket ensemble that I slapped together from stuff I already had, but someone actually asked for my picture. XD I can handle that. Cosplay, here I come!
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote