Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
ShinseiRoma
like a Habsburg.

Question Lightening Skin Colour

I found threads for lighter-skinned people wanting to cosplay darker-skinned characters, but none for the other way around, so I apologize if it's already been asked.

I don't have the darkest complexion ever, but I'm still tan enough that no one has any idea that I'm three-quarters Caucasian unless they ask me. Unfortunately all but a few of the characters I cosplay/wish to cosplay are white and I personally want to look as physically similar to the character as possible, in as many respects as possible.

(DISCLAIMERISH DIGRESSION - FEEL FREE TO SKIP -

I'm not going to go deep into the morality of this decision. But I'll have any disapproving observers know, before passing judgment, that I am incredibly content in my own skin and for this reason have never before applied makeup in my life (and am proud of the fact!), blemishes or not.

And I'd like to point out that nobody usually walks around on a daily basis in spiky green wigs, elaborate dresses, crimson contacts, or sporting giant weapons, either. A large point of cosplay for me is to step into a fictional character's shoes for a day. At the end of the con, the costume comes off - and so does the makeup.

I'm happy with my own ethnicity and with diversity in the world and think everyone the world over should be proud of theirs and of who they are. It might be different if I hated my natural skin colour, or if I thought people who don't put on makeup or change their skin colour while cosplaying are being inaccurate to the character, or I wanted to make fun of a particular group or race, none of which could be further from the truth.

But more importantly than anything, this is my personal decision. You can do as you wish, and I may do as I wish. )

So I was wondering: does anyone know of any resources - products, tutorials, pictures, personal experience - that might help me or anyone else trying to temporarily lighten their skin colour?

A step-by-step tutorial that doesn't assume the reader knows the least bit about the difference between mascara and eyeliner, much less how to apply them, would be ideal for me, having never applied makeup before. But I recognize that's a bit of a tall order to fill. ^^; Anything would be appreciated! =D

Once again, I'm sorry for bringing up such a controversial subject and for my inability to address it as mature as I probably should be, but, well, try not to let my stupidity bother you. It's not my intention to offend, even if it's probably a natural consequence of discussing something like this.
ShinseiRoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Just get a lighter foundation. Since you're new to make up, I suggest walking up to a MAC counter at a department store and asking to be color matched. MAC's coloring system is the same for all their products and so many people use their concealers and foundations, it's easier to google what the right shade for any given product.

You also need to know your skin type: oily, dry, normal (no part of your face is excessively oily or dry), or combination (for example, your nose and forehead might be extremely oily but your cheeks might have dry patches). I have oily skin and I really like Revlon Colorstay for Combination/Oily skin. It has heavy coverage, almost nonexistent spf, and has a matte finish, which is great for photos. However if you have dry skin, it might be too mattifying for you. Once you know your skin type, search for foundations that are good for photography and your skin type. It's easier if you find a youtuber who has the same skin type and see if they have a tutorial for photography makeup.

Once you find a foundation you think might be good to try, look it up on findation.com. You can enter the brand, product, and color and it'll tell you which foundations from other brands will match. Then when you go and get your foundation, just pick a color that's one or two shades lighter than the one that's your color.

As for application, check out this video. She also has tips on what you should look for in foundations, how to choose the right shade, and other things totally revolving around foundation.

Foundation is meant to even out the skin tone, not to cover up blemishes or imperfections. For that, you'll need a concealer. Once you get your foundation, it might help to bring it with you when you shop around for concealer (at least if you go to the drugstore).

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
detenten

Depending on how much coverage you want, Temptu is the brand of body paint I used to go completely green. The same product comes in skintones, so I'd imagine it'd be opaque enough to change anyone's perceived race for a day (or two!)
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Lala Prewett
SHSL Cutie Lala

SKIN79's BB creams usually make your skin lighter. Not to mention they're amazing <3 If you're lucky to have a store where you live, they can help you choose the most appropiate one for your type of skin. If not, they have a website with all the information.
Lala Prewett is offline   Reply With Quote