Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 313 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #811
LoyanteKittay(3
Olliebello

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTSProps View Post
First off, I'm very, very, VERY picky about material accuracy (within reason, of course. Live steel is a NO, and I'm not a blacksmith anyways). I respect anyone who can get by with less or a pass one material off as another, but me? I'm OCD about it. Unless it makes my wallet bleed beyond repair.

I'm finally at the point where I have to start considering the sewing part of this year's projects. Props are moving along fast enough to spend a little time on this.

I'm doing Kirito (Aincrad arc). Modifying slightly Simplicity pattern 5386 (The Matrix dusters)

Reference

The coat is referred to, officially, as [Black Wyrmhide Coat]. The name implies leather. Materials stickler that I am, I know that I won't be able to afford even the outer layer in garment leather (I priced it at around $500 for the 108 sq ft of leather needed to fit me...hell NO, not half my budget), so I'm going to relegate myself to pleather at best. Thus, I'm looking for something with a rough-ish, reptilian texture, in black. I found a croc skin one online, but it only comes in white >_<

I have a concern (other than heat) that it'll break down and crack from movement over time though...

While I'm on the subject, if anyone knows where I can find both black AND grey (p)leather binding tape, please share. My google searches only come up with suppliers that require ridiculous quantities and only in black or brown. And I only need a roll or two of each..

For Asuna:

Reference

I'm again modifying the same pattern as Kirito, unless someone has a better suggestion. I'm much, much less sure about the materials choice here, partly due to the amount of applique/embroidery I'm tempted to do with this. The one wearing it is also less likely to be comfortable with the heat (despite white being cooler since it reflects visible light) by using pleather, but it's still an option. There's nothing in the anime or LNs that specifically states what material her outfit is, but I infer it as leather--typical MMORPG fare: Lightly armored melee are leather wearers, Cloth is a caster thing (which Aincrad didn't have until...post-Fairy Dance).

So would you...in my OCD state, go white pleather? Or another material (I can take suggestions, doesn't mean I'll take them though :3)

Other than those two...the one I have

Reference

Yes, that's Final Fantasy 14's Bard. So many fabrics, so much jewelry, so many tied/bunched areas. Totally open to suggestions for patterns and materials on this one. Fire away.
As far as finding binding tape, I don't think you will unless you pay the high price from upholstery suppliers. I needed some too but could not find it so I'll attempt to make some.

For the first character,
I found a few searches with textured black faux leather

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...d-Vinyl-Fabric

http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fab...er-fabric.aspx

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...ux-leather.htm

For the second character, I personally would not embroider on the pleather. Sewing pleather makes tiny holes that you won't be able to fix if you mess up. If you want to use it, how about sewing or gluing the red designs to the jacket?
LoyanteKittay(3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #812
AsianPsylocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyanteKittay(3 View Post
The black spandex is beautiful!!!
I like the first grey choice better. Perhaps you can paint or dye it a tad bit darker?
Thanks! I will definitely go with the first grey choice. I'll have to look into seeing if it is possible to dye or paint it, but if not, I think it will still end up looking great.

Thanks!

Future Cons:
Comikaze
LVL UP Expo
Wizard World Las Vegas
Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con
NYCC
AsianPsylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #813
LoyanteKittay(3
Olliebello

I'm looking for advice on making a fringe, specifically the white

Perhaps you can paint the fringe with fabric paint, or a paint that will take on suede?
I found a few sites with fringe you could possibly modify it a little. There are some good tips online about painting suede.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Leather-Factory-Real-Pigskin-Leather-24-in-fringe-Velvet-Suede-/220972264905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372f9 2dc9

http://www.expointl.com/p-21754-faux...inge-trim.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/14339/i.html?Color=White&_sac=1&_from=R40&_nkw=fringe&_d cat=86820&Trim%2520Type=Fringe&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Suede-F...item4170ef4396
LoyanteKittay(3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #814
GuardianLioness

Hello! I'm planning on cosplaying genderbent Kid Flash/Wally West from Young Justice. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=EHF&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&biw=1366&bih=664&tbm=isch&tbnid=UOWNCS jQX36rQM:&imgrefurl=http://youngjustice.maxupdates.tv/kid-flash-young-justice/&docid=75An9X930yplOM&imgurl=http://youngjustice.maxupdates.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Kid-Flash.jpg&w=345&h=498&ei=Se9AUcSNJ4ik8ASp6oHoDg&zo om=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:91&iact=rc&dur=1629&pag e=1&tbnh=194&tbnw=154&start=0&ndsp=15&tx=30&ty=50

I'd like to keep the costume as close to the original as possible while being modest. I've got a large bone structure, so skintight fabric is not flattering at all. To avoid wearing skintight fabric on my upper body, I was considering separating the top part of the costume into two pieces. A skintight undershirt, and a vest/tunic piece to wear over it. The material for the vest/tunic does not have to stretch, as I plan to velcro or snap it shut along the sides of my torso under my arms.

I am willing to spend as much money as I need to get a good end result. I am moderately skilled with a sewing machine. What sort of fabric should I make the vest/tunic out of? Thank you in advance!
GuardianLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #815
olivepeach727

Hello! I am making a winter soldier cosplay for my husband. He already has the pants, but I was trying to figure out what to do about the top? It has one long sleeve, and one sleeveless. Then it has those strips across the front with the silver buttons. Anny reccomendations on fabric or something I could modify? Thank you!!

Reference Pic

Shadowcat/ Astonishing X-Men : 50% complete
Saria - Legend of Zelda OoT: 70% complete
Kushina - Naruto Shippuden: 10% complete

Check out my Tumblr where I keep updates, progress, inspiration, tutorials, etc!
olivepeach727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #816
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyanteKittay(3 View Post
As far as finding binding tape, I don't think you will unless you pay the high price from upholstery suppliers. I needed some too but could not find it so I'll attempt to make some.

For the first character,
I found a few searches with textured black faux leather

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...d-Vinyl-Fabric

http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fab...er-fabric.aspx

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...ux-leather.htm

For the second character, I personally would not embroider on the pleather. Sewing pleather makes tiny holes that you won't be able to fix if you mess up. If you want to use it, how about sewing or gluing the red designs to the jacket?

I found something suitable locally for Kirito. And I found normal bias binding doesn't look too stupid with it. The wider black parts can just be cut from pleather and bound with grey single-fold. It's probably more accurate if I make it from grey pleather, but a bit more of a pain in the ass (you shouldn't iron pleather, so getting the fold(s) to stay in isn't as easy).

As for the embroidery...that's what my SE400 is for, no? I'll run a test piece of course...

Applique is also an option, of course.

I'm still torn between doing her in pleather or a heavier cotton/polyester blend...Not entirely sure what to use for that. I'm OCD about it, so I insist on pleather, but my girlfriend--who is actually wearing it--insists otherwise.

Also, one material for the 3rd link (FFXIV Bard)...duck canvas will do for the upper vest, I think. The rest I'm still guessing.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #817
BlacklightSora
JSECosplay

Hey-oh!, I'm new here and relatively new to sewing my own costumes, but this July I've decided to cosplay as the Kingdom Hearts II version of Sora, and for that, I decided that, being the 100% accuracy OCD freak that I am, I'm more than likely going to make the costume, the pants at the very least, myself if not have it commissioned.

That being said, for his pants, the black chaps part anyways, I decided that I want to use a stiff yet flexible enough material to keep their shape. I was thinking like the foam material for boot covers attached to cheap Superman halloween costumes. Anyone know what that's called?
BlacklightSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #818
Himafu

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to sewing, so I'd like any help I can get on advice regarding fabric choice! Ahh, okay, so I'm planning on cosplaying Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle, and this one cosplayer's dress caught my attention. I really like the way the dress drapes and seems to flow, and would love to find out what material it's made of!

Here is the webpage. I apologize if it takes long to load, it's all pictures! I'm also going to be using a simplicity pattern (3723) and altering the front part of the bodice, if that helps with fabric choice.

Thank you very much!
Himafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #819
fabrickind

I'm planning on cosplaying The Condesce, and I'm wondering if I should use neoprene or spandex.

She's a sea-dweller, so I thought it would be really cool to use neoprene for a wetsuit-like look, but I've never sewn with it and don't know if my machine can handle it. I was thinking of using this 4-way stretch neoprene, which looks fairly lightweight and thin, which is exactly what I would need.

This is the design for her outfit that I'm going to do (I apologize for the quality of the photograph and the doodle!). Would neoprene work with the cleavage window? I'm probably going to make it as a rounded triangular opening that comes under my breasts, and wear a (blinged-out) scallop-shaped bra underneath, if that helps to visualize exactly how it will be constructed.

I also have the issue with the Pisces symbol that goes down the front. I've seen other cosplayers do things like ribbon, sewn onto a stretch bodysuit, without my issue, but I'm worried about sewing a non-stretch to a stretch, so I'd probably make mine out of a 4-way stretch spandex. Would that sew onto the neoprene alright, as they don't have a neoprene anywhere remotely near the fuchsia shade I'd need?

Basically, is this a good idea, or is the thought of using neoprene to make a bodysuit crazy? Any tips for working with it, or for getting the Pisces symbol on?

(If nothing else, I can always use a spandex instead, but I'd prefer neoprene, I'm just not sure that neoprene is a good idea for this costume!)

Thanks!
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #820
spiker7786
Bridgette :)

Hello! This spring, I'm really excited to finally make this jacket:

Initially I wanted to be as accurate as possible (you might remember me from back in December!), but after a lot of searching, this desire led me to Minelli Leather, which is roughly $200 for 2 yards and simply too much for me to spend.
I've spent this past winter looking around for other fabrics that could imitate that look, and while browsing through numerous coat sections it occurred to me that down jacket fabric might work as a pleasantly viable substitute.

This is the sort of fabric I have in mind. I think my plan would be to work with the fabric minus adding any down. The biggest difference I can imagine is that it wouldn't have quite the weight of the leather, but it would wrinkle and shine with greater similarity compared to any vinyl fabrics that I had previously considered.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of fabric that a down coat like that would be made out of, any ideas of where I could get it, and whether or not they agree that it could be a suitable replacement for the look of the leather along with any pros and cons.

One other question would be if anyone had any ideas for a good substitute fabric for the detailing, such as the red and white stripes on the sleeves, too.

I will be really grateful for all of your help, thank you!
ShutoCon, ACEN, Jafax, Anime Midwest, YoumaCon

Last edited by spiker7786 : 03-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.
spiker7786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #821
MitsukaiEievui

EDIT: Brought a long chiffon dress to be altered. Thanks for the suggestions given!

This is my first time sewing a cosplay and I have basic to almost no knowledge about fabric >~<;

I'll be making Lady Scheherazade's costume from Magi.

Here are a few refs
Coloured
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...07160469_n.jpg
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...20716013_n.jpg

Uncoloured
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27756129_n.jpg

Any recomendation on the fabric?

Last edited by MitsukaiEievui : 03-27-2013 at 05:09 AM.
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #822
fabrickind

MitsukaiEievui:
Even though it doesn't appear to be sheer from those images, I think that an off-white chiffon of some type would be gorgeous. It would provide a really nice drape and flow, and would look really beautiful and light in that application.

If you don't want to have to work with chiffon (since it can be tricky, especially if you are a beginning at sewing), then go with someone else with a nice drape that isn't super heavy. I'd try maybe a jersey knit? It would have a heavier look than chiffon, but would still be light enough and have the correct weight and drape that it would look nice, plus it would be easier to sew. Something totally accurate to the Greco-Roman inspiration for that design would be something more like a finely woven linen, but I'm not sure if you really care how historically accurate it is. I know I wouldn't.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #823
MitsukaiEievui

I've sewn a few simple skirts before but nothing big like this, I'll try asking my grandma to help me, worst I'd take it to a tailor to complete ^^;

Leaning towards the woven linen~

Chiffon looks too plain in pictures >~<

Thanks for the suggestions!
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #824
auuudriana

Need a suggestion for an Officer Jenny cosplay!
Cotton is obviously very cheap but it shrinks and such and I don't want to have to deal with that. This is my first time sewing a full on outfit for a cosplay so help is much appreciated!!
auuudriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #825
girlieshoes

Hey friends! I'm looking for something reasonably-priced to use for Thranduil:

The only thing I've found that's really close is this, but it's more expensive than I can afford just now (I'm going to need 5 yards):

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....0-9b14d2c2b995

Suggestions? Thank you!
girlieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote