Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #31
Lost7Soul
Chocolate milk addict

My first convention I wore one cosplay all three days. theres nothing wrong with it! and I was alone too. my friend was supposed to go with me but ditched me when we got there. but I was cosplaying an Akatsuki from Naruto and a couple other Akatsuki cosplayers came and talked to me, then more, and then random people started to and by the end of the weekend I had made alot of friends best fist con ever
Noire - 20%
Lost7Soul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
AppleFritter

Awwwww thank you all for taking the time out to answer my question! Almost all the replies have been suuuper helpful and informative. You guys have given my some reassurance and courage to go alone. I was super nervous about the idea of even going alone, especially to my first con, but all these helpful replies make me realize it isn't anything to really worry about. I'm glad you guys were kind enough to give me such good advise!!!!
AppleFritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Normally, I'm alone for cons and randomly meet up with friends and stuff. And honestly, I prefer it that way as I don't want to be burdened or be a burden to other people.

In fact, I told my artist roommate (whom couldn't get into artist alley this year's Anime North) that I didn't want her to just be my cosplay photographer and suggested that she cosplay as someone.

The only issue I've found with going alone is getting pics with other cosplayers. Aside from a couple, I haven't found pics of me taken at a con earlier this month and I know a lot of people took pics of me. I was wishing that I asked one of those friends I met up with to take a mini-photoshoot of me as he was of his friends.

As for wearing the same cosplay all three days, I've done it before and had fun every single day. Then again, all my characters wore normal clothing so I made a point of buying extra clothes so I didn't have to deal with con funk issues.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before

Last edited by seiryuux : 03-27-2013 at 03:46 PM.
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
Kildread
I can fix it!

I was *usually* alone at cons, when I started, I was alone the majority of the time.

Not anymore.

I just dressed up, went around asking for pictures, posted them up online. Had brief conversations with folks at cons. I don't *ask* for anyone to hang out with me, but I try to make brief meetings happen.

I think conventions are best experienced without responsabilities. I have enough of these at work :/
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #35
Lucid_Enigma

For my first convention I wore the same cosplay both days I went and no one thought it was weird. It's perfectly fine! I didn't actually go to my last convention alone but I ended up alone for almost the whole day because the two people I went with left and I couldn't find my other friends who were already there (sucky reception). I ended up just going to an Adventure Time meet up (since I was cosplaying Marceline at the time) and I made a bunch of friends there that I hung out with for the duration of the convention.

Honestly, just be friendly and smile and find people who are cosplaying the same series as you because you'll automatically have something in common to talk about!
2D (Stuart Pot) 100%

Lucid_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #36
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

Every one of them. AX13 is the first convention I won't be going alone, or at least arrive alone, because I've already met some great people who love the same series I do. Persona!

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
Surebu

I might have to :'(
Surebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
_Jun_
That Boomerang Guy

In my case I tend to go to cons with other people, but minus hotel+food+the occasional other thing we tend to go our separate ways for a lot. After all, we have different interests and are usually part of different photoshoots. Plus it's so damn easy to get lost.

It is a bit unnerving to be alone, but honestly a convention is the best place to not go into with any people since in my experience it's the friendliest place to be. I mean, you can strike up a conversation with near anyone (unlike in real life), so it's not too hard to at least find someone to talk to temporarily.

Personally I like having someone to go shopping with though; that's kind of boring to do yourself. Oh, and if you're in a photoshoot and you want pictures of your own...having someone around helps. Assuming they're willing to spend their time taking pics of you.

Past Cosplays
Mugen | Davis Motomiya | Izaya Orihara | Takuya Kanbara | Book One Sokka

Anime North 2014
Wolf-Armor Sokka

Tumblr Account

_Jun_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFritter View Post
For my first con, I think I'll be forced to go alone...*sigh*... I'm a little apprehensive about the idea of going alone. I'm kind of shy when it comes to associating with huge crowds of people, I feel like I may end having a rotten time because I won't be able to muster up the courage to find someone to talk to. Is there any advice you can share? Have you ever been to a con alone before? How did you deal with it and were you able to find people to hang out with the whole time?
I know how you feel, and I'm in the same boat. I haven't been to a cosplay con yet either, and I'm a bit apprehensive for my first one since I'm probably going to be going alone and also my first costume is a Scarlett O'Hara like crossplay which I realistically probably need help with dressing.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #40
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

For my first two conventions I was alone, and then I got some of my friends into the swing of things and started bringing groups. Sadly that ended when I graduated... Either my jobs got in the way or my friends were getting part time jobs for the summer, hell sometimes I would just be going to a convention that they couldn't come with me to. I've pretty much been alone at cons since 2011 now, and I'm just about to head to Sakura con tomorrow on my own. It has it's pros and cons... I mean I like to be able to have fun with my friends, but at the same time I also don't have to worry about where everyone is or try to conform to various schedules (almost all the people I had in my groups were minors). I'm hoping to meet up with fellow fans though and just have a good time.
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
ArcaneSpringbrd

An additional issue for me going alone is that I'd bet that a huge proportion of the rest of the cosplayers are going to be half my age. :-)

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Right now I've only been going with my mom. I want to go alone one day, but since I'm a minor that probably won't be anytime soon. Oh well.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #43
SuperSushi
Legendary Outlaw

Yesss, I've been to a con by myself. It was actually super awkward because I was part of this cafe thing where I didn't know anyone else participating, but we soon all became friends and I had a great time.

So I'm sure you'll be fine! There's a lot to look at and do, so there's really nothing to be worried about. And I suppose if it was horrible and you weren't having any fun you could always leave. Either way, I don't think you should not do something because you're afraid or have no one to go with -- you'll miss out on too many things that way!

As for the costume thing, I usually do one or two for an entire convention. It really doesn't matter. I'll usually just stick with one if I really like it and couldn't imagine being someone else. xD As long as you're having a good time and feel good, nothing else really matters.

Good luck and I hope you have an awesome time! :3
SuperSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #44
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

Look up a recipie for Uncle Yos "Homemade con de funk spray" which i think is mostly frebreeze, water, and maybe vinegar?
I've worn cosplays all 3 days, and either used the above, and/or store the closplay in my freezer overnight, to reduce odors (I know it sounds nuts, but it works!)
Going to a con alone is fun for me, but always take safety precautions. get dropped off/picked up in a crowded area, and stay in groups of 5 or more.
As for me, I tend to make friends by cosplay. go to a photoshoot, and talk about what people are wearing, or a panel and ect.
edit; de funk spray:
in a spray bottle, combine equal parts vodka and water. add 3 tablespoons of febreeze. spray on interior and exterior and allow to air dry.

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned

Last edited by MeilinII : 03-29-2013 at 09:10 PM.
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #45
starnes82

i always go to cons alone. non of my friends aren't into cosplay. i'm still trying to get used to being one of the oldest people there. (i'm 30 btw)
starnes82 is offline   Reply With Quote