Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 03-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
hells

what do you need for cosplaying

hey everyone, in a few months my friend is having a costume party of pirates and sailors and to be different i decided its a good time to make up a costume for one of my fave game characters. And well, my experience in building up a costume is very limited apart from my 11th doctor outfit :3

so ive ended up here hoping more experienced people will be able to give me some decent start tips :3 im going to try and do up Gangplank from league of legends (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...iginalSkin.jpg)

most of his outfit i can probably get fairly easily but his red coat i was thinking might be easier done with some sowing in where i have no experience since i thought it was a waste of time at school X3 basically whats the basics in equipment do i need for the sowing, in general what would be the best fabric to use and any god guides on how to do sowing and outfit making :3

thankies ^^
hells is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

I'd go post this in the sewing section as they are more likely to help u. That jacket however is not first time sew friendly. I'd recommend going to a costume store and buying a cheap red jacket and then altering to fit the character. This can be done w hand sewing on the gold bias tape or using fabric glue
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

It all really depends on your expectations.

As for sewing itself, a sewing machine is great - though you can do it all by hand.

Really all you need is machine, thread, scissors, material. You'd need a hand-sewing needle for things like buttons, and it might be easier to have a seam ripper (though I usually end up using scissors anyway). You might want a thimble if you will end up hand-sewing.

You can buy a pattern and alter it or make your own. Since it's your first project, buying one might be the way to go, but it depends on your experience and what you're good at. There are lots of "pirate coat" patterns so you in luck in that regard - you can pick one out and modify it pretty easily.

Since this is your first project, I'd recommend using something like a bottomweight cotton twill (I'd use a heavy wool melton as an ideal - but I think you'd prefer to not spend $20+/y on fabric for your first project!). Remember to buy cheap $1/y muslin fabric to make a "test" first. That way you can get a feel for sewing without risking your more expensive fabric. At first you might want to take fabric and practice sewing straight and curved lines and such - get familiar with the machine if you are using one.

Having a pattern will walk you through most of it so it will tell you how much interfacing you need and what kind. This won't give perfect results, but it's up to you what your expectations are. This is a reasonable first project, I think - and it might be best to keep it simple.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote