Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
AddictDramatic
we're all mad here

Lulu beltskirt idea, opinions needed

So I'm planning on the reconstruction of my Lulu from final fantasy x costume. My first one did not go so well so I would like to remake it completely. I have an idea for the belt skirt that I can't seem to find anywhere so I'm not sure if the idea will work or not since I can't find anyone else who has done it and mentioned it. What I was thinking is to take a hoop skirt (not a very wide one) and use that as the base and cover the front with a few real belts but mostly fake ones. This would not only give the dress a fuller look but also make it so the belts are not weighing down the entire dress. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.
AddictDramatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

That would probably work well. My friend attached all the belts to a separate half-skirt for her Lulu costume; it was secured using a strong strap around the waist and then then rest of the skirt went on top.

The only problem I can foresee with a narrow hoopskirt is that all the belts would make the hoopskirt non-collapsible, so storage/transport might be difficult.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
AddictDramatic
we're all mad here

Thanks and I never thought about storage or transportation, if I make the top with fake bets and place some real belts more towards the bottom I should be able to collapse the hoop skirt a little. My last belt skirt i made i used a denim skirt and attached real belts so I don't think I want a bunch of real ones I had a horrible experience with that.
Unread 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Sango12592
Nana Firus

I made a dress as usual then cut out a bit in for the front made out of a fake leather that was slightly larger than the opening for the dress. I attached velcro to the sides and top of both pieces so that if I don't want to attach the belts till I'm done getting dressed, I could wait then just easily stick it on. Plus the leather fabric created an optical illusion since the bits that showed beneath the few belts I did use just made it look as if I had more there than I did. People would comment at the con asking if I had 20 or so belts, when it was really only like 6 or 7.

Toothless (with animatronics) - HTTYD2
Sango12592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Anokha
Certified Crazy

Hi,

I made a Lulu cosplay last year, using a total of 30 belts. It looked epic.

What I did was buy thick belts of good quality. (I lucked out and there was a sale of I only paid like R15-R30 rand each). I bought 6 or 7. I used those to create a frame, making sure I had the noticiable belts in line according to Lulu's skirt. You have to cut some of the belts (the ones higher up on the skirt)

Then I bought a lot of these fabric, slightly stretchable belts (Like really really cheap! R5 each!) I painted these the colors that I needed. I also bought some pleather belts and pieces of fabric to use as belts.

Using the pieces left over and the pleather and the painted belts, I 'filled' in the skirt. The weight came from the framework but it had a nice curve shape. I sewed and glued down the belts together.

I then attached the frame to the front of the skirt. And reinforced it like four times.

It was heavy but not unmanagable and it looked great. I'm posting the photos today. I wore the outfit the whole day at the convention. The most painful part were the 6inch heels I was wearing. :P

Hope that helps.

[U]Current Cosplays:[/u]
Sexy-no-jutsu Kakashi - Naruto
Jihl Nabaat - Final Fantasy XII
Nanao - Bleach
Ishizu - Yu-Gi-Oh!

Previous Cosplay:
Lulu - Final Fantasy X
Yuki - Vampire Knight
Anokha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
AddictDramatic
we're all mad here

Wow sorry for not returning sooner I got side tracked by other cosplays and I am finally getting around to remaking this costume. I am going to play around with some different ideas for the belts and see which way works best I'm still all over the place with how to best execute this >.<
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
Wingeddeath243
your worst nightmare

Ended up following what another cosplayer did but i think my belt skirt and dress/skirt section attached differently. I basically made an a-line skirt of canvas, threw hoop boning through the bottom, hand sewed each belt down (just on the front, as wide and as many belts as i wanted). Then what i did was, after finishing the dress/skirt portion, sewed velcro to it. I put the other half of the velcro onto the belt skirt. We ended up using rivets as well as zip ties to hold that velcro onto the belts and it held up perfectly fine. It's definitely heavier than most but yea. Idk I kinda used some of the info a cosplayer gave me and added in some of my own. Was gonna say shoot me a message if you have further questions. I just finished mine earlier this year and was flipping glad. Way too much time and money spent lol.
Wingeddeath243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
mystic-fae

so you velcroed the actual skirt, the outer one, to the skirt with the belts attached to it? and then reinforced the skirts together? and i guess the boneing at the bottom (i was thinning pvc piping?) would give it a bit of shape. I'm in the very early stages of planning out lulu's costume. I'm thinking of making a lot of the belts out of craft foam, and hot glue, just painting them to look like real leather and metal so it isn't as heavy. then i will use several real belts for the ones that show up more...

i guess its one of those things that no matter how much planing you do, you actually have to sew, and put it together to envision it working...
mystic-fae is offline   Reply With Quote