Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.79 average.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #1321
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Yeah, I remember that. When you came back in here after Raker booted you out, he followed you here & came busting in here really quick. (He wasn't too happy though, when he couldn't control or censor the opinions here, like he could at the AX forums & chat room. He wasn't very tactful either, and got a lot of people mad at him.)

I also remember that Brian Raker had multiple nicknames here. He pretended to be an attendee, and never identified himself as staff. When he finally got exposed by quite a few former AX staffers that he was actually Raker, he pretty much stopped posting here not too long afterwards. (He wasn't the only one though, that pretended to be an attendee.)
Pretty much.

The K-pop thing may cause a bit of consternation. I understand Kris' explanation, but I don't know how it will be accepted by the general fan base. It could be okay, but with a name like Anime Expo and their previous guest lists, people expect the guests to have an anime connection.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #1322
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
I'm not surprised to hear that. You've probably been blacklisted from that site.

They probably weren't happy that you were openly critical of their shuttle policies. (You're supposed to be a cheerleader, and not say negative things.)

That kind of reminds me when Brian Raker booted Freight out of the AX Live chat room. (I remember seeing the whole thing happening Live) Freight wasn't causing any problems, but Brian Raker knew Freight hangs around here at Cosplay.com. (It was pretty obvious that it was a personal grudge, and Raker just didn't want him there.)
Yep, it doesn't surprise me...I remember that my comment along with another couple of people's comments were erased from the FB page pretty quickly. I'm sure I wasn't the only person blacklisted in the immediate aftermath of the shuttle snafu in 2010 since it was during the thankfully brief rule 'Cafe Latte'

As far as the K-Pop act, I'm interested in seeing something new at AX...during a panel at AX last year it was mentioned about the possibility of bringing one or two 'wild card' guests that weren't directly connected to anime. I have no problem with that as long as they don't spread themselves out too far and try to become mainstream like Comic Con
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

Last edited by animejunkie : 03-23-2013 at 11:00 PM.
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #1323
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
Pretty much.

The K-pop thing may cause a bit of consternation. I understand Kris' explanation, but I don't know how it will be accepted by the general fan base. It could be okay, but with a name like Anime Expo and their previous guest lists, people expect the guests to have an anime connection.
I agree, the SPJA at its heart is an Anime and Manga convention. Any deviation from that means that the bubble of the mission statement has been expanded to fit the needs of the community. As a longtime attendee I am sure you noticed that Japanese video games has higher presence now than it has in the past.

Back in 2011 one of the groups of Guests of Honors was the Hyperdimension Neptunia team. I will admit that I am quite biased towards the franchise, so from my perspective it was relevant since the franchise had a strong anime aesthetic, follows typical anime storytelling, has a variety of anime references, and has a huge otaku following in the USA. There are people who felt otherwise since there was no anime/manga at the time (which admittedly will finally be changed with an anime version of Neptunia for Summer 2013 season). In 2012 there was less video game representation in the guest of honor list. Whether it was an executive decision or not I can't divulge since that is not public information, but there was a change.

Likewise, the board can stretch the mission statement to include KPOP, but will it become dominant within the convention? Absolutely not. The mission statement as is will limit the multigenre influence. Anime Expo will never become Comic Con or KCON.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #1324
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

I agree that while fans won;t fully take to the whole kpop act, but it is also nice to see a new addition. Last year one of the top selling pictures in artist alley was of kpop drawings. ANd while I agree it isnt always anime, the fact is many people have found kpop now through anime. I mean BOA and 2pm are well known for their osts. And yes while at Otakon they had a rookie group VIXX who wasn't known for anything anime related, if we get a group like BAP (which has a comic, done in manwha esque fashion) it is the start of a great blend between anime, kpop, and manwha.

I also understand how many of you many feel if it takes up another goh for a more "mission statement friendly" goh. All i ask is that you guys try it out. It never hurts to try something new!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #1325
Aufklarung

Quote:
I thought the AX staffer, mousegirl was in charge of the cosplay gatherings and AX's cosplay department? Has there been a new change in staff?

She introduced herself and this is her post here:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=316097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuka View Post
Yes, she is in charge of the cosplay dept.
Clarification.

My department's senior staff looks like this:

- Manager

- Assistant Manager

- Outreach Supervisor - mousegirl (you guys know her)

- Marketing Supervisor

- Logistics Supervisor

Regarding the tone of this thread, the reality for 100,000 years has operated that persuasion is more important than accuracy. It matters not that the general opinion against an organization is inaccurate as long as the crowd leans with it. As such, it is even more difficult to mount a commendable defense when a portion of the decent is actually legitimate. Harder still when former allies are made enemies. Further, even if an organization was able to change some minds, they would only be restoring lost ground and would still be in a poor position to defend against its more respectable rivals.

I have been with this department for a long time. As a new manager of this department for 2013, I am charged with preserving the legacies of Marisa Price, Ken Ohno and Amy Mar. Each had their unique charm and perspectives and they are my guardian angels in this frightful endeavor.

To be a manager of this department doesn't carry the usual associations with control and autonomy. Historically, we controlled our internal shift schedules. All else are collaborated efforts that required consent and approval from fellow managers or senior officers. Strong politics and a lucky draw can have us run the show as we want and make cosplaying less punishing (Marisa era). Sometimes the politics can become repulsive and directional issues can become operational issues (a common sin of many bureaucratic bodies). That is the unprepared winter that would bury many grasshoppers. We are not paid to lose sleep over politics, let alone that some have no skill for it even if they desired to engage in it. To gain full autonomy, we would have to be upgraded into a division (almost happened in 2006) and risk causing much redundancies with other branches (some anime cons already do this, few executed it successfully).

Given this departmart's rich history and tainted legacy, there is much to account for and prepare for. Cosplay is the not just my concern because they make up a large percentage of our constituency, they are a living breathing marketing machine and floats or sinks the modern nerd convention. When you have the cool buzz and when the fans love you, the industry will quickly fellow (see PAX vs E3).

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...70233453_n.jpg

From my narrow house and limited ability, I will do what I can to make costuming as less taxing as possible. Some of you have been on the inside of AX before and you will know what it's like. Most of us do what little we can and we hope the other guys are working hard as well. When one fails, it can fail hard and it reflects badly on the rest of us.

I am not here to make excuses for an organization or shirk my responsibility. Indeed, I need to work harder and sleep less as that is the minimum required to run a quasi PR and show department such as this at a large convention with a heavily scrutinized reputation. I do not have the internal clout to do things as they need be till 2014 and I will not have the experience or industry clout to run as I want till 2015. No pat on the back or empty positive platitudes will slow my desire to meet this end. I also want to prepare the road for my successor as well because I will be extremely exhausted by the time AX is voiced with less contempt by majority of this community.

Cosplay Office: Room 510

Last edited by Aufklarung : 03-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Aufklarung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #1326
Access

Thanks, it's good to see that cosplay is being taken seriously. Last year we could not get much help from anyone prior to the con and practically everything was guesswork or 'making the best decisions we could with the limited information we could gather'.

I think you will find that reputation does not matter much when people are enjoying themselves or having a good time. The same way that, even a stellar reputation won't help if people are getting apprehensive, frustrated, or angry. It's sad to hear that the politics or other internal matters can be such a drag, but I don't think anyone here would ask anything other than just do the best job you can do -- and people will be thankful for it.

Last edited by Access : 03-29-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #1327
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

I second what Access has to say. I am glad that the Cosplay department is taking an active interest in helping the cosplayers this year. Like Access said, we were left for fend for ourselves last year, and there wasn't any real help coming from the con with the cosplay gatheriings. (It didn't help that the X-Games complicated things even further.)
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1328
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

I may third this opinion, mainly because it really is a fight-for-yourself and find out things like this. Even if there was an extra sheet for gatherings in the goodie bag, that would be AWESOME.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #1329
Kisuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Speaking of censoring, I find it funny that I'm still blocked from interacting on the AX FB page ever since I posted a highly critical comment on there shortly after the whole fiasco with the shuttle passes in 2010

I've unbanned everyone from the facebook page.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/kI01jRg.png
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #1330
Freight

Quote:
I've unbanned everyone from the facebook page.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/kI01jRg.png
Good to hear. Thanks.

Animejunkie, you should test it out.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #1331
Kisuka

Website update:

http://www.anime-expo.org/information/volunteering/

Volunteers will no longer be reimbursed.
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #1332
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Yep, it works...I can once again interact on the FB page. Thanks Kisuka!
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #1333
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Quote:
Website update:

http://www.anime-expo.org/information/volunteering/

Volunteers will no longer be reimbursed.
Overall? Like no perks? I hate to hate but I'm afraid that now we won't have anyone helping out.... I know a lot of people who volunteer cause they want to help but most people only do it for the free badge..... Hope we have enough helpers now....
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #1334
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Overall? Like no perks? I hate to hate but I'm afraid that now we won't have anyone helping out.... I know a lot of people who volunteer cause they want to help but most people only do it for the free badge..... Hope we have enough helpers now....
This could be in response to a lawsuit someone brought on an East Coast convention, I think. The story I know is that a minor volunteered at a convention and was reimbursed for their badge. They told their parents and didn't have a problem, but the parent sued the convention stating that the convention didn't reimburse the minor fairly for the time they volunteered. The judge threw out the suit, but it makes conventions second guess the standard reimbursement policies because they don't want to have to pay lawyers to defend against idiocy, or worse, someone successfully argues this type of matter.

This could create a problem finding volunteers, though this will hopefully weed out some people who are just trying to get a free badge and we'll find more volunteers at AX who display proper work ethic and enthusiasm.
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #1335
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

On things of a different note..

I just got back from WonderCon at the Anaheim Convention Center, and it was great!

From what I've heard, the attendance numbers was between $40,00 to 50,000. (It's close to the numbers of AX.)

The Anaheim Convention Center's hallways were very spacious, and you didn't see the crowded bottleneck of wall to wall people than you would see at the LA Convention Center at AX. (Even on a Saturday.)

They also held their Masquerade at the Arena with stadium seating. (Which was a much better area than the one used for the AX Masquerade last year.) The Arena is also connected to the convention center for easy access.

Note: A few years ago, the San Diego Comic Con actually was looking at the the Anaheim Convention Center, before they decided to stay in San Diego. (Comic Con had over 120,000 attendees, and the Anaheim Convention Center was fully capable of fitting in those numbers.)

Parking was also quite cheap. Way cheaper than in downtown LA. You didn't had to pay over $139 for 4 nights for parking at the J..W. Marriott. Even the Disneyland hotel didn't charge that much. There's also more parking spaces in Anaheim, than in downtown LA.

With the exception of the J.W. Marriott & the Sheraton, many of the Anaheim hotels were much nicer & cheaper than many of the downtown hotels in LA. (Many of the downtown hotels are run down, and are in need of serious renovations. Although, they still charge more because they are located in downtown LA.)

I've stayed at the official WonderCon hotel, the Anaheim Marriott, and the con rate per night was only $108. (Try getting that rate in downtown LA.) AX used to be held also at the Anaheim Marriott when it was in Anaheim.

The Anaheim Hilton, Anaheim Marriott, Anaheim Sheraton, and a few other hotels were all very well within short walking distances to the Anaheim Convention Center. (So there's no need for a con shuttle.) And yes, during July, Anaheim is cooler than downtown LA, because it's way closer to the ocean.

In terms of food, the Cafe Del Sol restaurant at the Anaheim Marriott restaurant was offering $16 lunch buffet, and $19 dinner buffet. They also had Pizza Hut, and Starbucks inside. (C'mon...$19 for a buffet with steak & beverages included in Downtown LA? Not bloody likely to happen.)

The Anaheim Hilton also had a food court inside their hotel, and you can get a good meal for under $15. (Try finding that at the LA Live restaurants. Plus, at the J.W. Marriott, you can easily run a meal tab of over $100 at their main restaurants.)

There were also a number of food trucks that was lined up right outside of the Anaheim Convention Center.

The best part of course, was the cosplay areas, between the Anaheim Marriott, Anaheim Hilton, and the Anaheim Convention Center.

WonderCon really lucked out when they picked the Anaheim Convention Center.

I sure wish AX would really reconsider moving back to Anaheim. It would not cost AX as much as staying in downtown LA, and fans would not pay as much $$$$ in parking, hotel, and food. There are also more hotels in Anaheim to fit the needs of the attendees, and there wouldn't be any need for a con shuttle, since it is not as spread out as in downtown LA. (It's also less hot than in downtown LA.) The convention center is also within a short walking distance to Disneyland. It's a win-win situation.

And oh yeah...traffic isn't as bad in Anaheim, as the constant traffic jam in downtown LA.

Which place which you also feel safer late at night? Downtown LA or close to Disneyland?

In short, if everything now, (paying more for hotels, parking, food, and paying more gas for traffic) costs far more in downtown LA than in Anaheim, what & where are the real advantages now for fans staying in downtown LA? (Since the loss of the Nokia Theatre, that's another advantage that is gone for staying in downtown LA.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 04-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote