Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
skellagirl

Tips for shooting with glasses?

Hey guys! So back in September/October, I got my first pair of glasses. I haven't done much photographing since then (Been busy with work, wah), but every time I DO try, I can't seem to work out how to look through the viewfinder with them on.

Is there some sort of trick, or is this just something I'm going to have to experiment with until I figure it out? Or take them off completely? They're bifocals, if that makes any difference.

skellagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Access

Just in case you don't know this already, most modern DSLRs have a diopter adjustment knob very close the the viewfinder. Look through the viewfinder (without any glasses), autofocus on something, and then move this knob until you can see it clearly.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Just in case you don't know this already, most modern DSLRs have a diopter adjustment knob very close the the viewfinder. Look through the viewfinder (without any glasses), autofocus on something, and then move this knob until you can see it clearly.
This. Remove your glasses and adjust the little dial until you can clearly see what you've autofocused. Once you can, autofocus on something else and you should be able to see it clearly immediately.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

When I read the topic and looked at your avatar my first reaction was, "Christ, what kind of camera are you using???" lol

My eye sight is so poor the diopter is not enough and anyway, flipping my glasses on and off wouldn't be practical.

I think you just have to experiment until you find a comfortable way to hold your camera against your glasses or if feasible get contacts. You can purchase a magnified view finder. I have one and it helps.

A couple of considerations:

I have clear glass that does not tint in sunlight. The tints always threw-off my perception of the exposure in the view screen.

No coatings. I can share a picture of the round rubber view finder wear mark on the anti-glare coating.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
skellagirl

I was not aware of the diopter knob - I tried it and it seems to be working like a charm! Thank you so much, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
When I read the topic and looked at your avatar my first reaction was, "Christ, what kind of camera are you using???" lol
Lol! I don't even WANT to know what kind of camera would do that to a person. It'd be like the pointe shoes of photography.
I think I'll look into the magnified viewfinder, as well - always good to see what's out there. Thanks for the advice. c:

skellagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Dipoter correction eyepieces are an option for some who want to shoot without glasses and have eyesight that's too bad for the built-in correction. Hoodman makes glasses frames that flip up to use with a camera.

I don't bother and just shoot with my glasses on. A major factor in my switch to full-frame was my frustration with tiny DX/APS-C viewfinder and the massive improvement in size and clarity with the D3.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I wear contacts whenever I shoot, I find it a lot more comfortable than wearing glasses...
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

I have been looking at loupes for a while. The claim is that they can help with focusing and also when using in sunlight but so far I'm still on the fence $100 - $400 for good ones. Ugh...
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Loupes only really make sense for video, unless you're using some kind of camera (mirrorless etc) with no viewfinder. If you have a DSLR and are using the LCD to focus and compose, that could be the source of a lot of problems.

If you want to try a loupe, you can get a cheap one made for looking at prints up close or whatever and just try holding that on your LCD temporarily to see how it is.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

Using a DSLR and LCD focusing and composing all the time with macro and still life on tripod.
Stills with live view and magnification works great.

My needs are more for daylight problems as well as eyeglass. I love to shoot in harsh daylight when it's harder to make good shots.

OP May want to try Hoodman eyecup for eyeglass wearers.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HGEC1
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote