Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Chikkijet: Alright! I was just curious on material, to see what type of cleaners might work better. I'm with Nandra though, in the end, I think just keeping it and wearing it will be much more worth the experience you'll get overall~

I'll cross my fingers, that the company will give you a partial refund! I think that's a very kind compromise on your part. I did like your idea about over-lining with a darker gold too, It'll match your armour better. I can't wait to see the finished version. Best of luck!

Upcoming...
Leonardo (TMNT)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

Thanks! I guess maybe cleaning won't work anyway, since it's screenprinted and I'm guessing that paint is designed not to come off. So perhaps trying to clean it would make it worse?

My faltamte came home and I showed her the dress. She said she hadn't even noticed the harps til I pointed it out. So, I decided to just go for it! Unstitched the dinky belt and chestpiece, and am pinning on some brown satin ribbon to get the hem detail. I don't have enough to do the actual 'rupee' shape trim, so am just doing a zig zag and thicker hem border, hopefully it will give the same overall look.

Do you think a gold marker would work to go over the harps? I don't have any fabric paint and haven't seen any in the shops I've checked. I am going back to NY in a couple days though, so maybe I can get some then and leave that part til last. Any recommendations as to brand? I know there's a big Michael's at 808 Columbus, not sure about other stores.

Thanks everyone for the input!! Feeling much more optimistic!!

As for compromise- well I figure it's the only way I can still go to the con with my planned costume, otherwise getting all annoyed about it and getting a refund will just get me my money back and no costume, so, not really as much of a win, is it?

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
HylianKnight
Wandering Adventurer~

Ahh, ya if it's screen printed on, then I would just leave it alone, so it doesn't get worst.

Your border sounds like it'll work well! Unfortunately, I've never used markers, or fabric paints before (I always use acrylics, because of cheaper cost). You might want to test it out on an inconspicuous location first. Or heck, try asking on the forums here (Sewing/Fabric Crafts thread), I'm sure there's tons of people who know about fabric paints.

Upcoming...
Leonardo (TMNT)
Feudal Link (Legend of Zelda)
Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)
HylianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Chikkijet

Whew! Spent the last few hours pinning and hand stitching the brown satin ribbon on, it's not perfect but I'm happy with how it turned out. I decided to try the marker out on the tapestry (since I was planning to re make it anyway) but it now looks pretty good, so I may just keep it!

Will definitely ask advice on the fabrics thread though before I try it on the white under dress

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Nandra
Speaker for the Dead

Ooh, I'm so glad it's turning out for the best! =] Looking forward to pics. As for the pen question - I actually had surprisingly good success with Sharpie paint pens on fabric. On my dress, all of the silver outlining on the harps is done with that. It's so much easier to get a nice, clean line than with a paint brush. Also, it seems super colorfast, which was a pleasant surprise.
Nandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Chikkijet

Oh goodie, I did pick up a couple of Sharpies today as well as fabric paint!