Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
momomilk

Commissioner issues & troubles

This will be pretty detailed and long so...

[WARNING: RANT AHEAD]

I've been very frustrated lately because of this commissioner who is avoiding to communicate back to me. I had her commission a costume back in September. We talked it out and I told her my deadline is by the end of March. She told me she could work on it starting January. Great, I was okay with that since she said it was enough time. So I paid her half the price in September, $125. The total cost was $250.

Anyways, I contact her again in January and she said she can't start it until February because of other commissions but she promised me she could finish it by my deadline. I tell her okay. Contact her again in February and she said it has to be the end of February but she'll work very hard to finish. Alright, I'm patient so I wait again. I contact her again at the end of Feb and now, she finally starts it. The first week and maybe a half, she sent me around 3-4 work in progress pictures and I was happy with how it came along. And you know, that got me excited to see how it was turning out.

Then, she ask me if I'm okay with receiving it before March 10th and she gave me the shipping cost. Regular was $30? EMS was $50 (She's international, from Poland and I'm from the US). So of course, my deadline is the end of March, I'd have to pay $50 just to get it shipped to my house on time.

Then...that was the last e-mail I received which was March 2nd or 3rd. It's now March 26th. After that, I never received a reply from her. I've been very patient and kind and tried not to pester her. I replied to that email and haven't received a reply and she missed the "March 10th" deadline. So I send her another e-mail. Still nothing. From there, I sent her an e-mail about once every 5-7 days but stopped after 2 weeks because I was tired and I knew she'd never reply back. My e-mails only asked her how the progress of the costume was. My latest one would be today which I just told her I was tired of waiting.

By this time, I'm already missing my deadline and yes, I'm frustrated because I was looking forward to wearing it. Though this isn't my main worry. My main frustration comes from her lack of communication. Feels like I'm getting scammed.

Not to sound like a stalker, I know she is active elsewhere. I frequent another forum and I happened to see her make a post there very recently in a thread I'm subscribed to (because she had her cosplay picture as her icon).

My question is, why does she have the time to do something else but no time to bother responding back to me? Is it because you can't finish that you're avoiding me? Just be straight up about it.

My problem isn't about the money either. I know I may be out $125 because she probably won't give me a refund seeing how she's ignoring me but I just want to know why she can't give me a simple reply :<

I have to be honest, communication was difficult. I had to contact her often to see when she needed my measurements or when she would be starting my costume or the work in progress and sometimes, it'd take her a few days to a week to just reply back. I know that commissioners take this as side work and its not their top priority, but still, communication is key.

Anyways, that was a rather long rant but I wanted to be detailed and let the community know how this went and of course, I'm frustrated and need to vent this out. Also, I know of another person on here that had the same issue as me.

I'm giving her some time until after this convention is over and if there is no reply, I'm putting her name up as an unreliable and sketchy commissioner. But by now, she's already unreliable as it is.
Free! - Haruka Nanase

momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
sailortintin
Xenofreak

From what you've expressed, she has been avoiding messaging you due to the fact that your commission will not be done in time. I have had the same thing happen to me before as well. It also seems like she has either over booked herself (no time management) or just does not care about your deadline (since she has time to post someplace else and not answer your emails). Either way, I hope she sees your post and gets back to you about the commission.

Dragoon Miranda (Legend of Dragoon)
Linda (Okage: Shadow King)

2014 Cosplay Plans:

Princess Eclair (La Pucelle)-15%
Dragoon Miranda chest armor & wings remake-10%
sailortintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
momomilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortintin View Post
From what you've expressed, she has been avoiding messaging you due to the fact that your commission will not be done in time. I have had the same thing happen to me before as well. It also seems like she has either over booked herself (no time management) or just does not care about your deadline (since she has time to post someplace else and not answer your emails). Either way, I hope she sees your post and gets back to you about the commission.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply :> I agree with what you've seen. It just seems like a trend for people to avoid replying when they can't make the deadline. I've been really nice and patient thus far but I can't take it anymore.

I do hope she sees this post too and gets back to me as well.
Free! - Haruka Nanase

Unread 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
RitsukaUzumaki
Straight as a Rainbow!

Hello. You PM'ed, but I'm replying here too.

I'm having the same problem with them.
RIDICULOUSLY AWFUL COMMUNICATION!!!
And SO many EXCUSES!!! EXCUSE AFTER EXCUSE!!

I've been nice through out all my messages except my last one, tell her exactly what was going to happen!

She is going to get back to me today or tomorrow with final pictures and have it out to me by the end of next month.
If she does NOT comply, I told her I want a complete refund!
If she does NOT give me a refund, I will be black listing her on every site I can think of that she has an account on.

I'm hoping my sudden change of attitude towards her will wake her up and make her get things done.(I've been very kind, understanding, and have let her walk all over me. Now I'm telling her how it is and what needs to happen.)

2014 Cosplay Plans:
Madara(undicided), Naruto(shippuden), Menma,
and Abigail "Misty" Briarton.
Possible 2014 cosplays: Scootaloo
Commissions I'm waiting on: Secret 2014 cosplay.

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phantomleafpro
DeviantART:
http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com/
http://phantomleafpro.deviantart.com/
FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki
RitsukaUzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
RitsukaUzumaki
Straight as a Rainbow!

By the way here is my post about my troubles with her:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=314128

It's funny because she replied to it and explained herself.
She also emailed me and asked me to take the thread down.. I don't think so.

2014 Cosplay Plans:
Madara(undicided), Naruto(shippuden), Menma,
and Abigail "Misty" Briarton.
Possible 2014 cosplays: Scootaloo
Commissions I'm waiting on: Secret 2014 cosplay.

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phantomleafpro
DeviantART:
http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com/
http://phantomleafpro.deviantart.com/
FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki

Last edited by RitsukaUzumaki : 03-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.
RitsukaUzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

You placed your order in September and told her your deadline was in March, which means that she has had roughly 4-5 months to work on your commission and finish it early enough to send it out well before your deadline.

Why should you have to pay for express shipping when it is HER fault that she missed your deadline? She should be the one paying for it.

If the costume still isn't finished at this point, I would definitely see about getting your money back. There is absolutely no excuse for her lack of communication when it is clear that she has had time to come online and make posts on other websites.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Chao-Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

What is the name of this commissioner, so everyone can avoid them? All of this trouble for not one, but two people who have used the commissioner makes me think they are not worth messing with when it comes to having a costume made. $250 for a costume is nothing to scoff at, either. At that price I expect good communication and a costume made in a timely fashion, especially with a 5 month range. There are many good commissioners out there who would not do this and it's sad this person is taking advantage of your trust.

Also, I agree with Chao-Fangirl. I would definitely NOT pay that extra charge for express shipping! Talk about poor business practices! It's the COMMISSIONERS FAULT! They should pay the difference!

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
momomilk

Thanks for the reply Choa-Fangirl and Sakura Efreet.

I agree it is her fault and there is no way I'm going to be paying for express shipping. Once this post went up, she decided to contact me back. She's been giving me a few excuses/explanations but she did send me progress pictures so we are trying to work it out a bit right now.

Still, very sad and angry I did not get the costume on time.

If you look at the thread here, the commissioner herself replied to the thread:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=314128
Free! - Haruka Nanase

Last edited by momomilk : 04-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
DreaM HunteR
MEKYO!

Hi, it's all about me and I'm writing it because I want to be honest. I had problems with my mailbox, what I already wrote in another topic. Unofortunetaly both my clients are victims. I gave them huge discount because they didn't get costumes on time...

I already contacted momomilk and I also hope that everything will be ok, and that she will get the costume that she'll be glad with.

Again - I am very sorry for all what happened. I made more than 15 commissions and it's the first time I'm having those problems, so I'm very sorry again...

TSUBASA RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - Amaterasu - FINISHED~
Macross F - Sheryl Nome [kimono girasummer festival - FINISHED~
xxxHOLiC - Himawari [sunflowers art] in progress
Final Fantasy Type-0 - Caetuna

DreaM HunteR's dA account
DreaM HunteR is offline   Reply With Quote