Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
CyborgHippo

Bioshock Infinite Cosplay? (Newbie)

Hello! Some people might recognize me from the 2K forums,I know I recognize some people ahem mr.bubbles... On the other hand this is my FIRST TIME ever wanting to cosplay and I really want to try to make my own costume,it doesn't feel special if I just buy it online,I want to do it all by myself.

I believe there's an Anime Expo in a couple months so this is really urgent and I'm hoping to try to make at least an decent one. I really want to make an "Boy of Silence" so far he has my favorite design in Bioshock Infinite and I really like the backstory so far. I was going to become an Splicer but I decided I wanted to be a character I really would love to try out.

Boy of Silence Design:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZPcp4rud4E

I'm just curious how much money it would cost for material to make the helmet,I just want one that won't break or get crushed to easily. Also I don't know really know about the clothes,I do not and I mean DO NOT know how to sew! Do you guys think I could do it within a couple months? How much money do you think this will cost?

This is my first time,or do you recommend going for something easier? Like I said I'm new,but I really want to get into cosplaying,I might borrow some money from my brothers or someone if it's at least 100$ (I'm assuming that's the cost) and owe them back somehow. I really can't go over the 100$ limit though
CyborgHippo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
knucklehead211

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgHippo View Post
Hello! Some people might recognize me from the 2K forums,I know I recognize some people ahem mr.bubbles... On the other hand this is my FIRST TIME ever wanting to cosplay and I really want to try to make my own costume,it doesn't feel special if I just buy it online,I want to do it all by myself.

I believe there's an Anime Expo in a couple months so this is really urgent and I'm hoping to try to make at least an decent one. I really want to make an "Boy of Silence" so far he has my favorite design in Bioshock Infinite and I really like the backstory so far. I was going to become an Splicer but I decided I wanted to be a character I really would love to try out.

Boy of Silence Design:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZPcp4rud4E

I'm just curious how much money it would cost for material to make the helmet,I just want one that won't break or get crushed to easily. Also I don't know really know about the clothes,I do not and I mean DO NOT know how to sew! Do you guys think I could do it within a couple months? How much money do you think this will cost?

This is my first time,or do you recommend going for something easier? Like I said I'm new,but I really want to get into cosplaying,I might borrow some money from my brothers or someone if it's at least 100$ (I'm assuming that's the cost) and owe them back somehow. I really can't go over the 100$ limit though
Hey, welcome from another newb. I'd definitely say you should avoid metal so as to keep the cost low. If you avoid that, and go for some easier and cheaper material, you should be able to keep it under 100 dollars. My plan is to build a variation of the suit in dead space 3. That's probably going to be my tax return and more. Regardless, I'm a newbie so I won't be much help. Hopefully you get more than I'm getting on my topic.
knucklehead211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
Trooper715
Helljumper

If you're looking for something strong and sturdy for cheap, fiiberglass is pretty reasonable materals wise. HOWEVER the equipment can be pricey (vapor respirator (and this is not optional), power sanding equipment unless you want to use hand tools all day, same for detailing tools). If you can find a friend with the equipment that'd be willing to let you borrow it you could get enough raw materials for a boy of silence (polyester resin, fiberglass mat/cloth, bondo, sandpaper) for probably slightly more than $100 if not less.

Make the basic form out of cardboard/papercraft, lay your fiberglass on the inside and apply resin, then once the fiberglass is cured, peel away the outer cardboard and bondo that stuff into the right shape!

For detailing the side items quickly on a budget, hit up a thrift store for found items that are close in shape. If you could find some vuvuzelas no one wants and some plastic flat saucers you could make those ear doohickies pretty easy.

Last edited by Trooper715 : 03-21-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Trooper715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
CyborgHippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper715 View Post
If you're looking for something strong and sturdy for cheap, fiiberglass is pretty reasonable materals wise. HOWEVER the equipment can be pricey (vapor respirator (and this is not optional), power sanding equipment unless you want to use hand tools all day, same for detailing tools). If you can find a friend with the equipment that'd be willing to let you borrow it you could get enough raw materials for a boy of silence (polyester resin, fiberglass mat/cloth, bondo, sandpaper) for probably slightly more than $100 if not less.

Make the basic form out of cardboard/papercraft, lay your fiberglass on the inside and apply resin, then once the fiberglass is cured, peel away the outer cardboard and bondo that stuff into the right shape!

For detailing the side items quickly on a budget, hit up a thrift store for found items that are close in shape. If you could find some vuvuzelas no one wants and some plastic flat saucers you could make those ear doohickies pretty easy.
Woah! That's good to know! None of my friends cosplay sadly so I can't ask for equipment sadly. And I'll make sure to check out a thrift store if I can find one,thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead211 View Post
Hey, welcome from another newb. I'd definitely say you should avoid metal so as to keep the cost low. If you avoid that, and go for some easier and cheaper material, you should be able to keep it under 100 dollars. My plan is to build a variation of the suit in dead space 3. That's probably going to be my tax return and more. Regardless, I'm a newbie so I won't be much help. Hopefully you get more than I'm getting on my topic.
Thanks for the tip,yeah definitely I'm gonna avoid metal o.o and good luck on your cosplay,if I had money i would buy Dead Space 3,oh well I got DS1/2 :O
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
MutantCanuck

I'm tempted to cosplay Rosalind Lutece.
MutantCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

http://images.wikia.com/bioshock/ima...Elizabeth1.jpg

I really want to cosplay Elizabeth but I am still unsure on the jacket and bustle/corset
any advice?
Also I am thinking of using a 2 hooped petticoat for the skirt~

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
MutantCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
http://images.wikia.com/bioshock/ima...Elizabeth1.jpg

I really want to cosplay Elizabeth but I am still unsure on the jacket and bustle/corset
any advice?
Also I am thinking of using a 2 hooped petticoat for the skirt~
Seeing an Elizabeth cosplayer would be awesome!
MutantCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
CyborgHippo

Good luck on your cosplay guys! I really like to see an Lutece one since they were one of my favorite characters in the game.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Roxie~
Imma Goldfish~<3

I am making an Elizabeth costume and I was wondering what would be the best way to glue a thimble to my skin?

Echo - Phantasy Star Online 2

Athena - Angelic Layer

Roxie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
the.footpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgHippo View Post
Hello! Some people might recognize me from the 2K forums,I know I recognize some people ahem mr.bubbles...
You caught me!
the.footpad is offline   Reply With Quote