Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
VioChan
Cupcake enthusiast

Crossplaying a masculine character

For a long time now, I've always wanted to cosplay Regal Bryant from the TOS series, but I'm faced with a bit of dilemma.

For those who aren't familiar with the character, He is very muscular- Mainly his upper body with wide shoulders and defined arms.

- I, on the other hand.... am a petite small-framed girl with little to no muscle definition. I've been working hard on getting some sort of abdominal tone-age but it's no where near a chiseled 6-pack. I dont really plan on bulking up like a body builder for this cosplay, I was just curious to see what others have done in this situation I'm open to possibly genderbending the cosplay or maybe doing a less bulky version of Regal I guess. Any personal opinions?
VioChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Ahhh, I know your pain. I really wanted to cosplay the Hulk at one point, but.... yeah, not gonna happen.

Even if you were planning on bulking up body-builder style for the cosplay, your biology wouldn't allow you to get nearly as big as he is (I should know; I've been bulking for a different cosplay for three months and have only managed to gain a net total of two pounds despite a regular routine of lifting weights and stuffing my face four to five times a day). I think either option you're considering could be pretty good, but I would expect even a genderbent Regal to be fairly muscular, so maybe add some pushups to your ab workout at least?

Another thing to consider in the genderbent vs. less muscular Regal is how well you think you can pass in other aspects. If binding is difficult for you (and that muscle shirt doesn't look like it would help much), if you have wider hips, or a more feminine face, I would go for genderbent. If you think you can otherwise pass pretty well, go for the less muscular crossplay!

Also, the key to getting a 6-pack is low bodyfat percentage. You probably already have a 6-pack if you've been working hard at it for a while, but it's just hidden under that natural amount of fat every woman has (even a petite one). Add some cardio to your workout and maybe diet a bit a few weeks before you plan on wearing the costume and that should bring out those abs you've worked so hard for!

Haha sorry that post ended up being very disjointed but I hope something in there helps!
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
VioChan
Cupcake enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlummet View Post
Ahhh, I know your pain. I really wanted to cosplay the Hulk at one point, but.... yeah, not gonna happen.

Even if you were planning on bulking up body-builder style for the cosplay, your biology wouldn't allow you to get nearly as big as he is (I should know; I've been bulking for a different cosplay for three months and have only managed to gain a net total of two pounds despite a regular routine of lifting weights and stuffing my face four to five times a day). I think either option you're considering could be pretty good, but I would expect even a genderbent Regal to be fairly muscular, so maybe add some pushups to your ab workout at least?

Another thing to consider in the genderbent vs. less muscular Regal is how well you think you can pass in other aspects. If binding is difficult for you (and that muscle shirt doesn't look like it would help much), if you have wider hips, or a more feminine face, I would go for genderbent. If you think you can otherwise pass pretty well, go for the less muscular crossplay!

Also, the key to getting a 6-pack is low bodyfat percentage. You probably already have a 6-pack if you've been working hard at it for a while, but it's just hidden under that natural amount of fat every woman has (even a petite one). Add some cardio to your workout and maybe diet a bit a few weeks before you plan on wearing the costume and that should bring out those abs you've worked so hard for!

Haha sorry that post ended up being very disjointed but I hope something in there helps!
Haha, I figured genderbending would be the best route since the other day I attempted drag king makeup and the results were.... Far from manly lol. I think I'll take your advice and amp up my cardio and get some pushups in. Thank you do much
VioChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

It will probably take more than months. I've been working on my arms for years and this is all I have, for example.

If you're not comfortable cosplaying the character as you are, and you're fine with a gender swap, that may be your best bet. However, if you would rather cosplay the character without a swap, I would still say go for it if that's what you want to do and would have the most fun doing.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Totally off topic, but I just gotta say, belligerent, you've got incredibly impressive guns
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

I feel it's totally legit that we all just stop for a moment and admire belligerent's arms.

@OP, I have seen literally one male in my entire life, in person, who could actually pull that off. Some dude at the Renaissance Festival who I'd bet money was an actual body builder. His muscles were so big they looked like they would impede his movement. It was nuts.

What about a fake muscle suit : http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-superma...le-shirt-9532/

You could paint/airbrush the fabric that goes over the fake muscles to look like skin - it can be very effective.

I found this picture from Arrested Development of a suit like that and it looks pretty good.

It's easier than a prosthetic like this, but that is also an option.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Chryso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I feel it's totally legit that we all just stop for a moment and admire belligerent's arms.
Nodnod.

Jealous.

OP, I was about to suggest the same as Kelley, to use latex to build muscles. I find it tends to work much better under a shirt (like the superman linked above) rather than bare torso though, for me at least I always seem to have trouble making it look realistic, but that says more about my lack of skill, and it also depends on what you're going for.

And I agree with Belligerent, go with what you'd have more fun doing, genderswap or not. Don't let gender or any other traits stop you from cosplaying something you truly love.

Last edited by Chryso : 04-03-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Misseeriechan
Cosplay Noob

I saw this earlier. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3151810/ I don't know if making the lines darker would give a more 'cut' apperance in photos or look bad, but I just think it's freakin amazing. Good luck!
Misseeriechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

Those bodysuits would be a good idea, too, and can look really good. Definitely easier than actually putting on that much muscle.

Also, lol, I never think my arms look that big but I guess I see them all the time... I'd still like to get them about another inch bigger before I cosplay Wolverine, but it'll be tough and may not even be doable.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 04-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote