Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #1576
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...213_200934.jpg
Started to rough out the blade for Yamato today. Got as far as bondo'ing up the blade to smooth, seal, and thicken. Unfortunately I didn't test fit along the way and now its too thick to fit in the sheath.
Lots of sanding in my future. :C

It fits!
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...214_124311.jpg

Last edited by 2DLogic : 12-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #1577
eebee

Carved my cutlaseers today! Decided to use an orbital sander to bevel the edges. Hands are still vibrating, but it worked great.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...21229-1406.jpg

Still gotta paint the blades and bulk up then wrap the hilts, but I'm missing some materials and the roads are too bad for a trip to the store. :P

2D - Yamato looks great so far. Love the sheath!

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Reina Roja (with Gabriel Santiago)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #1578
FFFlay

Hi Guys! This is my first post on the forums, so please let me know if I've broken any rules.

I've decided that I'd like to try to cosplay the DmC reboot version of Dante, since it turns out that my face and hair are uncannily similar to his, but it seems like most of the discussion around these parts is about the old Dante. I've done a few much simpler cosplays in the past, but nothing nearly this complex, so I'm not really sure where to get started. The jacket is the most difficult part, but the closest pattern I've been able to find is the Simplicity Matrix jacket. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner?
FFFlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #1579
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFlay View Post
Hi Guys! This is my first post on the forums, so please let me know if I've broken any rules.
Welcome!

Quote:
I've decided that I'd like to try to cosplay the DmC reboot version of Dante, since it turns out that my face and hair are uncannily similar to his,
We'll try not to hold that against you... Just kidding! Most of us are old-school series fans (hence most of the discussion being about classic Dante), so we were duly horrified when they rebooted it and changed the character. But of course you're welcome to cosplay whichever version you like, and we'll do our best to help out.

Quote:
I've done a few much simpler cosplays in the past, but nothing nearly this complex, so I'm not really sure where to get started. The jacket is the most difficult part, but the closest pattern I've been able to find is the Simplicity Matrix jacket. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner?
I've used the Simplicity Matrix pattern for a couple of things (though it's been a long time). From what I remember, that pattern is actually built more like a tuxedo jacket than an overcoat. It has princess seams in the back and a seam where the skirt attaches at the waist, so it ends up with a very tailored silhouette and an A-line skirt. It would be a LOT of work to modify that into reboot!Dante's coat.

What you're probably looking for is a basic four-panel coat without much tailoring. Looking at the way the coat hangs, it doesn't have much built-in shape; there's a tiny bit of flare at the bottom, but there's really no fitting at the waist, so the side seams should run pretty straight along the body. Most of the detailing on the coat can be purely cosmetic -- seams added to create the appropriate lines (like the ones down the front) that aren't structural.

I'd suggest going to the local fabric store and looking through the pattern books for single-breasted overcoats, or even look at women's fashion jackets (more variety than the men's section). Find a pattern that doesn't intimidate you (i.e., NOT made by Vogue) and then adjust length/lapels/details accordingly.

Maybe something like one of these...?
pattern 1 (minus pockets and skirt length)
pattern 2 (the middle one -- minus pockets, plus skirt flare)
pattern 3 (far left -- minus bust darts, plus lapels. This is a really easy pattern to mod; I use it for all kinds of things.)

Reboot!Dante's coat also has a hood (built into the lapels... who designed this silly thing?), which you're probably going to have to borrow from another pattern or draft yourself (hoods are pretty easy to figure out).

Good luck! ^_^

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #1580
FFFlay

Thank you for the help! I started searching for a pattern like the ones you described in stores, and after a lot of searching the best pattern I've found is this one (specifically the Lincoln coat in the bottom right). I've started looking for fabric too, but there's nothing in stores that's quite right, and the best that I've found online is this. I'm having a having a hard time finding a faux leather that's dark-grey rather than black, and I've even been thinking of going for a dark brown.

Is there any way that I could simulate some aging and wear in faux leather without destroying it? Also, for someone who has not had much experience in making props before, how would you rate this book (Amethyst's Prop and Armour Compendium)?
FFFlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #1581
LordDraco3
On a mission

Quote:
No worries!

Quote:
I've decided that I'd like to try to cosplay the DmC reboot version of Dante
Too late.

But no, honestly I would also strongly suggest against the matrix pattern. I used it for my REPO coat and it was a big giant pain in the ass for a beginner, and also, as AVA pointed out, it's not quite the right style.

That Lincoln coat looks like a good start, but you'll also need to make sure to modify the lapels (I don't know what his look like, I try and avoid Donte as much as possible), and don't forget the hood, which I think has some specific construction (I think it has a stripe in the middle? Again, I'm not on expert on this design) and is very very wide, like a parka hood, not like Nero's hoodie type hood.
As for weathering, water down some acrylic paint (like some silvers and blacks) and brush it on with a sponge or something rough, like a hard brush. Wipe it enough so that it's barely noticeable, and it should add some dimension and wear to the material. I haven't gotten around to doing it to mine yet, but it's how REPO coats are supposed to be weathered, and you are using the same type of fabric (it's how they weathered the coat in the movie, and I've seen it done to great effect on fan costumes). Just test some out on some scrap fabric first.

I haven't actually checked the book out or anything, but Amethyst Angel's tutorials are very solid and come highly recommended for people looking to learn. You can't go wrong with her stuff, though I'm not certain there's any gun advice in there or not. Guns are such common props though, you should be able to find some prop gun tutorials out on the internet. Also, I've seen some STELLAR 100% accurate Donte guns made by someone here on cosplay.com, and I think they said they would sell copies, if you wanna get some commissioned guns.

EDIT: here's the guns I mentioned: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3311784/
EDIT2: Looks like his price is the about the same as reproduction Poseidon Ebony & Ivory: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosplay-prop...5&cmd=ViewItem
Pricey, yes, but I love my guns so much, I felt like it was a worthy purchase, and his guns look to be of similarly high quality (well, as high quality as you can get on such an awful design )

Last edited by LordDraco3 : 01-26-2013 at 06:44 PM.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #1582
eebee

Finished my cutlaseers today! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps9cc8ccae.jpg

Also have all the belt and holsters finished, but I haven't gotten a good picture of them yet. ^_^

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Under Construction:
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1583
LordDraco3
On a mission

Those look spectacular!
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #1584
eebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Those look spectacular!
Thanks!

Chosen, In Planning:

Under Construction:
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1585
eebee

Finally got a good picture of Lucia's accessories: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ps8cc32db7.jpg

I'm also done with the shirt, leggings, and capelet, but they're hard to get a good picture of when I'm not wearing them, and I don't have anyone on hand to take a photo of me.

Chosen, In Planning:

Under Construction:
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #1586
Persiflage88

I am also looking to cosplay reboot Dante (side note: never played the original series).

I found his pendant, got shirt, pants, and boots already

I also need the jacket and guns

Jacket: I'm at a loss.

Guns: Here's what I'm thinking: they seem to be based on Desert Eagle, so I'm thinking buy a pair of airsoft DEs, cut off the grips, and mold new grips and barrel bushings out of clay or something.

Never tried to sculpt anything though.

Thoughts from those with experience?
Persiflage88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #1587
Witchhazel

Cosplaying DMC3 Lady- completley lost in terms of how to do the holster/belt, necklace and leg belts.
Witchhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #1588
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Eebee, your Lucia gear came out really nice.

Persiflage, I can't comment on the jacket because my girlfriend does all the fabric work for our costumes, but your plan for new E&I should work out fine.

Witchhazel, second hand stores are a good place to source belts. You can also find the occasional mall kiosk selling cheap belts for around $5. Holsters are pretty easy to make if you have access to a sewing machine. There are lots of patterns and tutorials available. I believe her necklace is just a small red gem, shouldn't be hard to find something similar online.

So... I had a nice day today and thought it was about time I did some more work on Yamato.
I drew up a couple blanks and cut in some slots for the blade's tang to fit into.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psec0dc0fa.jpg
Fits pretty well after a bit more massaging with a file and chissel.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psa455c4e7.jpg
Lots of sanding to shape the hilt. Then another test fit.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6db5c4eb.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps430ce24b.jpg
Unfortunately I forgot about the fittings taking space away from the tang which made it a bit too flimsy for my liking so I decided to just fake the habaki with some styrene.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0332e1d9.jpg
All the other fittings went on really smoothly and fit well. Now for a test fit in the saya, and...
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps34f07dba.jpg
It doesn't fit. Stupid fake habaki is too wide. More sanding tomorrow.

Last edited by 2DLogic : 05-22-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #1589
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchhazel View Post
Cosplaying DMC3 Lady- completley lost in terms of how to do the holster/belt, necklace and leg belts.
I made the belt out of vinyl and Chicago scews, and my ammo pouches were cheap plastic pencil cases covered in fabric. I modified the costume design and added a bit more skirt for modesty, but here's a progress pic (before the rest of the hardware was added): http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1650528/

For the crossbow holster, I recycled an old leather dagger sheath with leg buckles, but you could just as easily use strips of elastic or fabric or leather as long as you secure them properly about your thigh (small buckles and non-slip backing are your friends).

The necklace is a red teardrop pendant with a bail at the top, suspended on a simple chain. You can usually find beads like this in the jewelry section of Michaels or Hobby Lobby or JoAnn or any other craft store.

@2DLogic: Lookin' good!

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #1590
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Thanks.

More sanding, and...it fits! http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps247e5bb9.jpg

Still have to do a gel coat, which will hopefully give the blade some much needed rigidity as the resin soaks into the mdf, prime and paint, so I'll probably be going through more fitment issues after that.

Best of all, the entire sword can be fully disassembled for repair or maintenance, just like a real katana.