Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Tatsu-chan

Mindfang Cosplay Advice

So I am thinking of cosplayng mindfang from homestuck

more or less this. My problem is deciding what fabric to use. For those who don't know homestuck she s basically a spider pirate. I was thinking a silk because of the play on spider silk but I'm not sure what type of fabric. It is going to be lined and the skirt will be the same material as the coat so I do want it to be about a mediumweight I think
Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

well that isn't Mindfang; that's Vriska "cosplaying" Mindfang or reaching full tier where she syncs powers with her ancestor.

This is Mindfang
Little different (since she wears pants and not a skirt and a hat unlike Vriska. and her boots aren't red but more brown or black)

And for fabric I believe its all your choice but I don't really recommend silk for this particular cosplay.
Silk is one; way to shinny for my liking (I never use it unless its high quality bridal satin)
And plus it would be hard to either hand paint all those designs or even sew since it moves around alot you could use it for lining the inside of the jacket which would look nice!

I also like what my friend did for her Mindfang cosplay. She used a patterend fabric (I dont know the name of the fabric type D= )
But it came out really nice!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...19_96102_n.jpg

Just some ideas xD

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Tatsu-chan

I'm aware but it is also the most detailed image of the outfit I can find, there are minor differences such as the cut of the coat. I'm pretty sure she does state she is wearing a petticoat in her journal.

here is the only image of her coat open I can find atm.
I've used silk on more than a few occaisions and even worse fabrics. I know what I am getting into with using it but I'm prepared. I'm a perfectionist and it is my interpretation that it would be a silk of some sort. Also silk isn't always shiny, in fact a lot of silks aren't SUPER shiny but instead have a nice sheen.

I'm not fond of the look of patterned fabrics for this. It doesn't feel right for me. I'm contemplating a twill weave but not sure and am just looking for other ideas on fabrics.

Last edited by Tatsu-chan : 12-16-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling error
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Lala_chan^^

Smile Hello

I'm am thinking I'll use 4-way stretch pvc for my mindfang cosplay, I saw another cosplayer that did this and it looked beautiful. I contemplated stretch silk and other types of vinyl but it's really hard for mindfang to get it just perfect.

http://www.acparadise.com/acp/displa...=215999#photos

Here is said cosplayer, and some information on her cosplay, hope it helps

cosplays:
Teto Kasane 100%
Chii/Eruda 100%
Fem!Prussia 90% waiting for wig and contacts to come

cons:
Syracuse anime festival 2012
Tora-con 2013 if the world doesn't end
Lala_chan^^ is offline   Reply With Quote