Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Satori Veda

Looking to Share Costs- Rooms/Roomates/Rides

Hey guys. I am planning on attending NYCC, but I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for hotels, using public transportation in NYC in full costume, and if anyone wanted to share costs. This will be my first time there, though I did go to SDCC last year.
I am looking for a roommate (s). Ideally, I'd like to be close to the Javits center (within walking distance), but I am flexible. If anyone is interested in dividing the cost of the super expensive hotels in Manhattan, please hit me up.
I'd also like to post this as a general thread for anyone who would like to give/needs a ride to NYC as well. I think I am going to be driving from Kentucky, so if anyone would like to pay for some gas, I might be able to pick them up/drop them off (or vise-versa; I will share gas cost if someone else wants to drive).

I am planning on a Shaak Ti outfit from Star Wars (we'll see how it goes, I might just be a T'wilik if it doesn't work).

If anyone is interested, please post here or pm me.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Hera (Star Wars Rebels)- Working On
Steampunk Sailor Moon- Maybe, I'll see
Lumpy Space Princess- Working On
Satori Veda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Satori Veda

If anyone wants to be super cheap and doesn't mind a shared bathroom/bedroom, and you are traveling alone, you might want to check the hostels that are close. I don't think this would be great if you cosplay is super complicated/has lots of make up, but if its simple/easy to change into, you might like it.

It's not for me (i need a place i can put on make up) but might be for you. I'd do it otherwise.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Satori Veda

Tip for you guys-If you are looking to save on a hotel room (especially in Jersey), pick up an entertainment book. I highly recommend getting a physical one at a store (places like Rite Aid, Walgreens, ect), as they are declaring bankruptcy soon. Buy one for where you live, and you get a book of coupons good for the entire year and a plastic card. Reserve a room online with the entertainment rate (I know Holiday Inn accepts the entertainment card) and you can save $20+ a night. The book costs about $20, and like I said, includes a bunch of coupons you can use for 2013. The card is good anywhere in the US, not just where you live like the coupon book. Just to help you guys out, if you are interested!
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
eebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori Veda View Post
Hey guys. I am planning on attending NYCC, but I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for hotels, using public transportation in NYC in full costume, and if anyone wanted to share costs. This will be my first time there, though I did go to SDCC last year.
Heya! I'm a NYC native and I attend NYCC every year. Using public transportation in costume is very possible so long as you don't have wings or some other bulky addition that would prevent you from fitting through the subway turnstiles/bus door. It's definitely not forbidden, and most riders probably won't even pay a lot of attention to you. But only do this if your costume is comfortable and won't be damaged by walking. The closest the subway can get you to the Javits Center is not very close, and though I've never taken the bus to get closer, I've heard from others that it's very slow, very unreliable, and all the buses are always packed to get to the Javits. As an alternative, there is a changing room in the convention on the lowest floor!

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Reina Roja (with Gabriel Santiago)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
RainbowSprinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
The closest the subway can get you to the Javits Center is not very close
It's almost exactly 1 mile from Penn station to Javits. I walked there in heels last year xD It's not too bad :P
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Satori Veda

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Heya! I'm a NYC native and I attend NYCC every year. Using public transportation in costume is very possible so long as you don't have wings or some other bulky addition that would prevent you from fitting through the subway turnstiles/bus door. It's definitely not forbidden, and most riders probably won't even pay a lot of attention to you. But only do this if your costume is comfortable and won't be damaged by walking. The closest the subway can get you to the Javits Center is not very close, and though I've never taken the bus to get closer, I've heard from others that it's very slow, very unreliable, and all the buses are always packed to get to the Javits. As an alternative, there is a changing room in the convention on the lowest floor!
When I went to SDCC in costume, I rode the bus and light rail (and luckily wasn't the only one). I was concerned as I know NYC has a much more populated metro system (no one rides the bus in San Diego from what I saw). It's been 10 years since I rode into Penn Station, so I have no memory of how crowded it was. It's nice that they provide a changing center! I am worried that my headpiece might be too big (though I haven' made it yet- perhaps I should give it a bus test run in my town), and I will have on body paint. However, I am glad to know that I would not be seen as a total weirdo. Yeah, I think I would walk from Penn Station. Thanks for the info!
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Satori Veda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSprinkle View Post
It's almost exactly 1 mile from Penn station to Javits. I walked there in heels last year xD It's not too bad :P
Ha-ha, not too bad.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Aneko-chan

Hey Satori, I'd love stay with you if you're still looking for roommates ^ ^ I went a couple of years ago and I had fun, and now I'm thinking of going again this year. I don't believe I'm gonna be bringing any huge cosplays so I won't need that much room XD

Thanks ^ ^
Aneko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Satori Veda

^ Sent you a message! I am still on my lonesome.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Satori Veda

FYI- 3 day tickets go on sale May 15th at noon!
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Satori Veda

Want to be super close? Want to not have to worry about riding the bus or train into the city? Want to bunk with people you can talk about all the cool stuff you saw at NYCC? Want someone who can help you put your cosplay on?
Well, I am looking for 2-3 people to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Times Square. For 2 more people, it will cost $115 per person per night. It is just a 10 minute walk to Javits. We will all pay less if I can get 3 more people, but $115 is a good deal for so close (and not a hostel). This is after taxes (so $115 is it per night). The area the hotel is in is around a lot of other hotels, so plenty of opportunity to talk/party with other conventioneers and possible guest spotting! Right now there are two people, including myself in this room.

Need a little more incentive?
-Breakfast is included! Hot breakfast!
-I am bringing my air compressor and if you need to have full body paint, I can help you/hook you up. If you haven't bought your stuff yet, this is an additional $100 savings. You just need to bring the paint.
-I have the room 10/10-10/13. Perfect if you have a 3 or 4 day ticket. You don't have to stay all 3 nights to get this deal if you don't want to (though I'd like the company ;P), only 2 at minimum (any 2 in this period).
-Singles and couples welcome! Just looking for individuals who want to have a great experience.
-Super close to the train station and bus stations. Easy access from the airport, bus terminal, or train station if you are coming in from out of town that way.
-Fun times!

Please message me if you want in on this great deal with great people! As long as this post is here, there is room
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Satori Veda

well, I'm not driving any more, so I can no longer offer rides . I am flying into Baltimore and taking the Amtrak into town. I highly recommend this suggestion, if Laquardia or Newark airports are too pricey. I got a good deal on Southwest ($89 each way +Amtrak ticket). Cheaper than gas and faster too!

Also I FINALLY started on my Shaak Ti costume. I started it as in I drew the pattern on the insulation board. Hoping to make headway this weekend. Also hope it is nice so I can shave this thing down on my deck. I just have to keep my cat away (which will be almost impossible; she always wants to be next to me, especially if I am on the deck. In fact, when I was drawing the pattern, she decided it was a GREAT idea to sit on top of my insulation board which she has ignored for the past 5 months). Otherwise, I will lay down a trash bag on my floor and get to it.

Anyone else thinking about doing a Disney/Star Wars mashup? Since I have a Twi'lek lekku already, and I have to have one done for my friend's Halloween party (yes, the theme has already been announced) I might bring it. Depends on what I finally decide to do. Too many things I want to work on!

I also have to start work on my friend's birthday gift (which is at the end of May). I'm thinking about makings some of the vigor bottles from Bioshock Infinite. Have to wait until I get some cash in though.

SO EXCITED! I am looking forward to this very much
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays

Last edited by Satori Veda : 05-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
Satori Veda

Anyone with 3 (or 4) day passes looking to share there NYCC experience? Lots of room still in my hotel! We can stay up giggling and share our panel stories .

My Shaak TI headpiece has hit a snag. I have taken a part time job in addition to my regular one so I can afford all the trips I want to take this year (besides NYCC, I am spending a week in Destin, FL for my friend's 40th b-day; he's never seen the ocean before ), so finding time that is also cat free (don't want my poor cat to get into the insulation!) is hard to come by. The day I was going to start carving (I had just gotten a dust mask b/c I have no clue where my respirator is), they asked me to start my first day. I also can't go to any theme parks b/c I am working every Saturday now (my friends wanted me to go to Dollywood with them for free, but I am working now. I've never been ). To afford everything, and make up some money to pay friends I owe back, it will take me until October @_@. Booooooo. Going to try to fit in some carving time tomorrow before my 11pm volleyball game (I am very, very bad at it, but it is fun), since I don't have my part time job then.

TL : DR

Anyway, did any of you guys pick up a 3 day pass today? I am really curious as to how fast they will sell out this year.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Aneko-chan

Hey, get any new roomies yet?
Aneko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Weeping Angel

Need anyone still? I'm looking for a place to crash for NYCC. It would be me and my BF. I'm cool with sharing rooms.