Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Jell0Cup
Cosplay Newbie

So I have yet to see a Lissa cosplay.

I am a relatively (read: completely) new cosplayer and because I'm a total derp, I want to do something crazy for NYCC'13. A friend of mine coerced me into joining in on a Fire Emblem: Awakening cosplay group. I am responsible for being Lissa (Here's a reference: click here for large image and click here for some concept art. So far what I've done is I've basically broken down what I need to make by September (I don't want to still be working on my costume in October):

Corset vest (with buckles in the front and side)
Halter top shirt (with frill accents on both the top and bottom, as well as slits on the sides)
Backless dress with puffy shoulders and bell sleeves which are held up by what looks like elbow buckles
Some sort of string with ornaments around the entire skirt area
Knee high boots
White with gold trimmed tights or leggings or whatever pants.
What appears to be palm-less gloves
Staff (optional, but a nice touch)
Circlet
Head scarf that looks like a handkerchief, quite honestly
Dat wig
Dat Apron
DAT HOOP SKIRT

As you, the reader, probably can guess by now, I'm losing hope as I type that I'll ever make even a mediocre costume with all these pieces. I don't even know which piece I should start with. Have I mentioned that I don't know the first thing about using sewing machines? Yeah, I'm pretty much dead in the water. If there are any kindly people who can give me advice about trying to do relatively challenging costumes with no skills under my belt, I will thank you in advance. In the meantime, I shall learn how to use my ancient sewing machine by working on my SeeU cosplay. Thanks again for any advice.
Jell0Cup is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Scrittle
King of Versailles

I'm no pro either, so alls that I can really suggest is trying to find some already made attire, and modifying it.
•Javert •Eponine (Les Misérables)
•Cicero (Skyrim)
Scrittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
sinesapientia

I'm in the same boat so far as zero skills and starting an incredibly complicated cosplay that no one else has done (haytham from AC3). How I've approached it is to go accurate on the big things, and close enough on the small things. So like those leggings of hers? Can't they just be white? Does that gold line really matter? And the gloves, unless they are some key part of her character, can probably be pretty easily modified from leather gloves but just gluing on some leather straps in a similar pattern and cutting off the fingers. You can probably find some leather boots that are close enough (you definitely don't want to try to make shoes).
Spend most of your time on the distinctive, important parts of the costume. As for those, I can't really help you, I don't know what I'm doing either! Although I do know I recently saw another thread about exposed hoop skirts, so a careful search could yield you some good tips on that. That's also not an entirely unusual looking character style if that makes sense, so you might be able to find a cosplay with some WIP pics of a character that has a similar dress type thing that can help you out. There are a lot of corset tutorials, though that corset looks simple enough that as long as you are of slender build you wouldn't have to make a for real corset, just a leather tube top type thing. Posting in the sewing section looking for advice on that dress could yield you some patterns of similar style dresses that you can base it off of.

Don't be too afraid! Just go for it, and don't get wrapped up in the details of the small things. If you end up finishing early you can always worry about those. Or redo them later.

Hope this helped!
sinesapientia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Jell0Cup
Cosplay Newbie

Thank you! I was thinking exactly the same thing. I will be working on my SeeU cosplay and building up my skills for Lissa. What I want to do is make the major parts as close as possible and if there is time left, I'll work on the easier things that I can just put together real quick. Thank you for replying though! Makes me feel less lonely and helpless. Good luck on your cosplay, too.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
CanisPanthera
need more costumes! D:<

Yeah Lissa is a bit complicated if you're still new to making costumes, but I learned a lot of my skills by making very challenging costumes from the start. A lot of it is learning what doesn't work lol. That said, if you plot out your time and try to make sure that you stick to your days off/free time etc., I think you can definitely get this done by October. Just make sure to research well each part that you're trying to make, because odds are someone has done it before on some other costume.

What characters are the rest of your friends going as? I'm working on a Chrom cosplay right now. Maybe I'll see you at NYCC!
CanisPanthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Work from the inside out so that everything fits when you are done.

I would probably start by making the hoop skirt since the rest of the costume has to go over it. I think it's much harder to try to make a hoop to fit under something you've already made than the other way around.

What EXACTLY is going on with that costume, I don't know.

If you make fake internal sleeves inside the bell ones you can sew them together at the point it drapes so you don't have to worry about the buckle piece cutting into your arm or falling down. So you'd have a drapey sleeve and a regular sleeve under it. You could even use a shirt and cut it apart for that.

For the sewn pieces, make sure to buy some cheap $1/y muslin to make test runs of them first so that you can get a feel for sewing and work out and problems before using your more expensive fabric.

I'd probably make the yellow part next and make it cover the chest area. The I'd make the apron - considering that to also be the white "shirt" part - make that as one piece and go over the yellow part.

Then I'd do the leather-like halter top and anything else after that.

I'd use leather/pleather strips and washers for the "string" on the skirt.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Jell0Cup
Cosplay Newbie

So far we've got Chrom, Lissa, Marth, Ike, Hector, Sumia, Cordelia, Tiki, Frederick/Lon'qu, and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head...
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Jell0Cup
Cosplay Newbie

So i figured out how Lissa's layers sit on each other.... the halter top goes over the apron in the front and under the apron in the back. The base layer is the cage skirt, the next layer is actually the dress, followed by the shirt/apron layer and topped off by the underbust vest. the shirt acts more like a corset, actually lol.